Thread: Going to Flin Flon?

Journal Entries

Default Going to Flin Flon?

I've been invited to Flin Flon. Of two minds about it.

It's good fishing. Last time I went - I brought my 90 year old father. He caught 200 walleyes.

Thing is, it's a fly-in lake (Lake Wabishkok) with something like a 12 mile portage in (if you don't fly) and it's a 1000 miles NW from here. We have to bring guns - not so much for the bears - but for all the meth-heads that seem to be ubiquitous to that area. Fortunately, we've made friends with the local mad-man trapper - that all the methers are afraid of. Mention his name - trouble melts.

My other issue - these guys can't camp light. My brother and I were raised with a minimalist philosophy when it comes to camping. This bunch - everyone has to have their own (large) tent. I think the guy who does the grocery shopping - just buys until the store is empty - then we all have to kick in on the astronomical food bill. Last year, someone actually brought a fold up "kitchen sink." It doesn't matter if someone brings something the whole group could use - everyone else (except me and my brother) will bring one too.

The fishing is good - not up for the madness.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...4d-101.5307559
    Last edited by pierre girard; 14th-May-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quite a place, by the looks of it!

Its a mining town in the middle of nowhere. Not the best choice of tourist destination. As for the guns, I suspect its more to do with your culture than ours

Fly in fishing trips tend to be male only piss ups which have nothing to do with wilderness travel, regard for the environment etc. and everything to do with "boys will be boys" so I wonder why you would be surprised at the approach of your fellow travellers?

So. I'd say you aren't comparing apples to apples. If you want minimalist wilderness camping and fishing then go on your own or with another partner, pick somewhere remote and canoe in. If you want to catch lots of big fish with a guide to help you, drink lots of beer and over eat then go on the fly in fishing trip.

Journal Entries

Hmmmm. Sounds like you've met some American paddlers you weren't impressed with. I've met them too. I'd like to think you've hung me on the wrong peg - without knowing much of anything about me - except a geographical location.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. It's a fly-in lake. We don't fly - we portage - even my 90 year old papa (actually 88 at the time - I looked it up). As to guns - recommendation of our (Canadian) trapper friend - he couldn't believe we didn't have a shotgun or two along. Ah, and we are non-drinkers.

The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Well, apologies for my mis-understanding of your original post and sorry for hanging you on the wrong peg. Perhaps you might re-read your original post to see why I might have taken it the way I did.

The only things I know about Flin Flon are from reading Sig Olson which was obviously written some time back, even then, it is portrayed as a wild town. It’d be interesting vicariously to see what it looks like now.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Pardon me for saying so, but this is beginning to sound a little like a tale tale. You and your 90 year old father portaged 12 miles to a lake where other people (who presumably flew in) are so rough that you need guns. If this is all true, then Flin Flon is truly a unique community. In most northern communities people have guns -- but no one needs one for self protection.