Thread: Paddling England?

Journal Entries

Default Paddling England?

Been wondering about paddling England. There would have to be castles. I'll get to that.

I'm kind of a backwoods boy. We lived in Alaska for a while - years back - but otherwise, It's pretty much been NE Minnesota. My mother's father was Welsh, English, Dutch, Scots, Irish, French, and Native American. Been here awhile, I guess. My father is 100% Norwegian.

We did go to Ireland and visit my niece. She married an Irishman - they lived in County Wicklow - then Dublin. He is Norsk Irish - biggest damn Viking you ever saw. He took me deer hunting in the Wicklow Mountains. They have some mighty big deer in Ireland. Who knew?

My niece and her family have recently moved to Oakland, California. I sent them condolences on moving to a "foreign" land (at least from my perspecitive).

A few years back I got to wondering about my grandfather's family. They lived on the border country - Minnesota/Canada. They never hunted - just carried their guns wherever they went and shot game when they saw it. If they didn't get a moose often enough - they didn't eat well. Kept stills, etc. - regular hillbillies.

I knew who my great grandfather was - that was about it. Started to check it out. Got back to the US Revolution with the Dutch and French. About the same with the Native American. English - it was a bit different. Besides having some folks on the Mayflower - turns out Edward III is my 19th great grandfather. So - direct from William the Conqueror. Not that any of these folks were particularly nice, but interesting from an historical perspective. Also directly descended from Alfred the Great, Robert the Bruce, and Brian Boru and way too many other folks I've read about in history books.

Did one of these DNA things. Not really sure how this works - apparently, not like a math equation. With three Scandinavian grandparents - I show 62% Brit Isles and only 36% Scandinavian. The French, Dutch, and Native American show miniscule percentages. Very odd! I have a distant cousin in Manchester who shows less Brit Isles and more Scandianavian. Far as he knows - they've always lived in England.

Started doing the Mrs. family tree. Turns out we're related in many ways (not TOO close). Besides the Plantagenets - she's also descended from Henry VIII.

The Mrs. cares nothing about family trees - while I think it is interesting. However, she's retiring this October - likes the idea of visiting England - and would like to see castles.

So, my question: Where could we paddle in England and see a lot of castles?
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Well, there are a few by the water:

Thames:
    Windsor. Big thing, busy this coming Saturday, apparently. Easy to paddle on the river and view it from below.
    London: Tower of London, tidal, very busy, needs lots of planning to paddle.

Portsmouth Harbour:
    Portchester Castle is Roman in origin, then Norman. Estuary paddlin'

Basingstoke Canal:
    Odiham, King John's Castle. More blancmange than castle, but an interesting little ruin.

Warwick.
    River Avon. Slightly difficult access to this river, but right next to it.

Sussex.
    Bodiam. A moated castle near the River Rother. You can't paddle the moat

Not castles, but my local River Wey has a Palace and a 12thC Priory. OK, both are a bit ruinous...

Only problem is, some of the best castles by water are in Wales or Scotland!

Ludlow looks the business - River Teme
    Durham gets you a Castle and a Cathedral
    Richmond, on the Swale has a castle and a pretty waterfall.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Methinks thou needest the 'Pub Paddles' guidebook...

Journal Entries

I think you want Scotland Better paddling, access and great castles. You can probably see about a dozen just on Loch Awe alone. In fact your wife pretty much insisted if you come here that’s we’re you would paddle and camp. I need to go find that blogg now.

Journal Entries

Here you go. Unfortunately the pictures don’t show now so you’ll need to come see the sights in person

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...7624#post17624

Don't forget the Wye ..... Goodrich Castle and Chepstow Castle.

But I found this https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryM...tlesinEngland/

Who would have known that there are so many!

As for the family tree thing if you know where relatives were born, married or died you might get a handle on them from the Parish Registers (check out the Wikipedia entry - it looks accurate!)
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Now if your Mrs is descended from Henry VIII the paddling to Hampton Court (sort of castle... big posh Tudor house) on the Thames might be fun?
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Sussex.
    Bodiam. A moated castle near the River Rother. You can't paddle the moat
    Arundel is in Sussex too:

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

North east England has some good castles by the water.

Durham:

And a cathedral:

Warkworth:

Bamburgh:

Dunstanburgh:

It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer

Crow Trip Log

Barnard?

Journal Entries

Also Lindisfarne:

Crow Trip Log

The problem here is similar to when people ask what canoe they should buy. There are different kinds of castle, what we need to do is figure out what kind of castle you want.

Serious castle building began in the mid 11th century (but we have plenty of fortified structures predating this), and the last castle built in the UK was finished in 1930 (I had to look that up and it suprised me). With almost a thousand years of building and developement, the requirements, building methods and styles changed significantly. Some castles show developement over time, with extentions and rebuilding, some are more of their period and haven't changed very much.

Do you like the Kings and Queens, Lords and Ladies, wall hangings, portraits, fancy furniture, pretty gardens, romantic type thing?

Do you like the idea of castles as a defensive structure, imposing and oppressive, with moats, portcullises and arrowslits and with suits of armour and weaponry on display?

Do you want to feel like it's ancient history, with broken, weathered towers, crumbling walls, and tales to tell of revolution and war?

Tell us what you picture when you think of a castle and I'm sure we can find some that will fit the picture.

There's plenty of other history here too. If you are into your Scandi heritage, there's lots of viking history on the east coast (mostly rape and pillage type history, but there's some civilised stuff too). There's plenty of impressive roman, iron age, even prehistoric stuff too.

You can barely move around here without stubbing your toe on something left lying around by some idiot hundreds or thousands of years ago that nobody's bothered to move, the only historic thing we're missing is stuff from before people got here and started making a mess, which is why so many brits like the idea of paddling on your side of the pond!
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Some one had to do it....
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

So, my question: Where could we paddle in England and see a lot of castles?
    On the front line of the English/French Hundred Years’ War .... in SW France mate. Sorry

If you do visit the UK and have time, it’s a short hop and I’ll sort boat, local arrangements etc this side
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    On the front line of the English/French Hundred Yearsí War .... in SW France mate. Sorry

If you do visit the UK and have time, itís a short hop and Iíll sort boat, local arrangements etc this side
    Ha. Mine were of the front line of the English/Scots in the Hundred Years War.

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by saarlak View Post
    the only historic thing we're missing is stuff from before people got here and started making a mess, which is why so many brits like the idea of paddling on your side of the pond!
    Down on the south coast there are more dinosaur bones than you can shake a stick at!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Down on the south coast there are more dinosaur bones than you can shake a stick at!
    A fair few dinosaur paddlers over here too I count myself, of course.

If you go on the Dumfrieshire Dee in Scotland, you can pretty much paddle into Threave castle.

"I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

To be honest, all castles in England will have a river nearby, otherwise they will have had no drinking water, water to mix the mortar or simple defence system. So pick a castle and you will be able to paddle past it by going round a corner on a river they put them on the bend so they had less sides to defend as they had a big watery moat on several sides! You may have to look up a hill a bit, but you will be able to paddle round it!

As for the Kingly distant relations, well if I were you I would keep a bit quiet about that! It will also mean you are related to Danny Dyer, I appreciate that you aren't from the UK, but for those of us who are..... http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/who-...11364115465774

I would definitely keep that quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
    As for the Kingly distant relations, well if I were you I would keep a bit quiet about that! It will also mean you are related to Danny Dyer,
    In light of this the More or Less programme on Radio 4 looked at the probability of someone being descended from Edward III. Turns out that if you have English ancestry it is fairly common (to coin a phrase)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b083r9x5
    And thou shalt have a paddle De 23:13

The Medway is another river with plenty of castles, you can tag a WW1 German submarine on to the end as well. Most locks and sluices on the Medway are bypassed so you can ride past them with style and panache, or fall in like I did the other week.
    Tonbridge is a nice easy put in and you launch just outside Tonbridge Castle, Yalding has some nice historic buildings and you can play in the sluice if its running. Maidstone has some nice bankside historic buildings, Alington has another castle, as does Rochester, Chatham has a historic dockyard and err lots of defences
    http://www.ecastles.co.uk/chatham.html