Thread: My Idiot Brother

Journal Entries

Default My Idiot Brother

I'm fairly agile - even at my age - yet I never knew that when I was young. In my family - I was the clumsy one.

My brothers, and especially my father, were extremely agile. If I had to make a guess on the genetics of this - I would say it comes from a strong strain of Sammi ancestry. My father was 100% Norwegian - and a good portion of that is Sammi - or Lapplander. Not exactly blue-eyed and blond haired - he was often mistaken for Native American.

To my story: Though we were all raised paddling, my brother, Tom, has in recent years gone to the darkside. Yes, he's a kayaker. About three years ago I went kayaking with him down a series of rapids. Rapids? They were water-falls. He said, "Just follow me and do what I do." Coming to a 12 foot drop, over he went. I absolutely froze - thought "there has to be a better way" - tried to back up - and ended up with a broken pelvis.

I was looking at a local map and found a class six rapids on a local river. Didn't know we had anything that bad locally.

Mentioned it to Tom who is now 60. He said, "Yah, we were out there last weekend, me and (my nephew) Mark." "It was a good time."

Me, "I didn't know Mark did any kayaking."

Tom, "He doesn't - it was his first time out."

Me, "And you took him down a class six rapids?"

Tom, " It wasn't so bad. I told him to follow me and do what I do. We did it twice"

I guess Mark is better at listening than I am.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

LOL. Great little story.

Chuckle.

Glad to have your family and life stories back, Pierre.

One of the (many) reasons I like open canoes is that nobody is every going to fool me into paddling them down waterfalls. Oh, hang on a minute, I guess the ledge drops on the Usk are technically waterfalls, and I've fallen down them before...at a FAR lower grade, and height.

Journal Entries

Hi Pierre, Hope the hip was not too sore an injury. Just think of it as god's way of telling you not to go in a kayak
    John

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Hi Pierre, Hope the hip was not too sore an injury. Just think of it as god's way of telling you not to go in a kayak
    Fine now. That's how I read it.

There are times for kayaks. I would never paddle out to Isle Royal - on Lake Superior - in an open canoe - as my grandfather did. Paddling out to tha Apostle Islands in an open canoe - can be problematic. Jo and I once spent eight days out there - when we'd planned on four - due to a storm. Still, for me - an open canoe is - well, it's where I belong.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    Still, for me - an open canoe is - well, it's where I belong.
    Amen to that.

The Apostle Isles look pretty wild and bleak from Google's satellite imagery, but with wonderful sandy beaches!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Amen to that.

The Apostle Isles look pretty wild and bleak from Google's satellite imagery, but with wonderful sandy beaches!
    Ahhhh! The Apostles are a young man's dream - and an old man's fond memory. There is a reason it was the "Heart of the Nation" for the Lake Superior Ojibwe.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Last edited by pierre girard; 14th-May-2018 at 08:20 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

OK, now they look wonderful...