Thread: A Tale of Two Strippers (Cedar Strip Canoes)

Journal Entries

Default A Tale of Two Strippers (Cedar Strip Canoes)

We were out on the lake early, yesterday, for fishing opener. Jo insisted we take her boat - so - no canoe fishing story. We didn't get skunked - got enough for several meals, Crappies, northern pike, and one small walleye. Great fish fry last night.

While we were on the lake and river, we stopped at a couple of friend's cabins. First place, guy is a carpenter. I guess I had no idea how good a carpenter - until he showed me his canoe. He'd started it seven years ago - then left it be for some years - and only recently finished it. It was remarkable! Gorgeous workmanship. I wish I could post a photo. Just think of the most beautiful wood strip canoe you've ever seen - and you'll have some idea.

He, of course, pointed out some imperfections - which would require a microscope - or at least a magnifying glass - to pick out.

It is true - he's not a canoe man. The only imperfection I noticed was the weight. Canoe was over-built. A 15 footer - it outweighs my 17 footer by 20 pounds. Pretty obvious he hasn't done a lot of portages, but it is a first time builder's mistake.

I'd never put that canoe in the water. Put one scratch on it - it would make you cry. If you had a large enough living room - it would make a great coffee table.

Second stop - known this guy since the late 1960s. Whenever we've been by - I've always wondered why he kept this beautiful wood strip canoe laying in the yard. Summer and winter - beautiful strip canoe laying out - next to the lake. Always figured it was none of my business, but now I'm wishing I'd said something.

Wind storm last year picked up the canoe and damaged it heavily. He's wondering if I can fix it. Busted keel. Fiber glass has seperated, exterior and interior, from bilge to bilge. Glue between wood strips has let go in multiple places - making the hull all kinds of strange. He told me he purchased it for $100, so he doesn't want to spend much on repair. I told him he'd purchased a $2000 canoe for $100, and he would be better off starting over than trying to repair what he had.

"You don't know what you got - til it's gone."
    Last edited by pierre girard; 13th-May-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Awww, gutted. I was hoping that Stormy Daniels had a colleague who worked in a place called 'Cedar Strip'

Perhaps the answer is to introduce the second stop resident to the first, and hand them a crate of beer so they can start talking...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Perhaps the answer is to introduce the second stop resident to the first, and hand them a crate of beer so they can start talking...
    You know - it's really a shame. Res. 2 paid so little for the canoe to begin with - he never realized what he had. I doubt he'd pay what it is worth to get another. Trying to rebuild the canoe he has would be counter-productive - in my view; patching old wineskins with new patches - so to speak.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    You know - it's really a shame. Res. 2 paid so little for the canoe to begin with - he never realized what he had. I doubt he'd pay what it is worth to get another. Trying to rebuild the canoe he has would be counter-productive - in my view; patching old wineskins with new patches - so to speak.
    That is a shame