Thread: tarp & bivi camping with a dog, tips needed

Default tarp & bivi camping with a dog, tips needed

I plan to go away (hopefully Scotland) canoe camping with my border terrier, but using a tarp & bivi bag as opposed to a tent, is there anyone on here who does a similar style of camping with their dog ?, i'm unsure what to do with him at night other than take his bed and stake his lead down so he cant wander off during the night, he's very obedient but he's never been camping.

i've been camping with my dog, using a tarp and hammock. i'd usually create a "nest" out of bags and other gear under the tarp for the dog so that she has a cozy spot to sleep on, and "prepare" it by rubbing with my hands which gives it scent and she seems to understand that gesture as her sleeping spot being made ready.
    i'm not really concerned that she'd wander off on her own and never come back but she might take off after some animal. when i'm worried about that i clip her leash to a heavier bag. she can still roam a bit and change position but it would would give enough resistance to get her out of the rush of a hunt - and of course wake me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditch Crawler View Post
    I plan to go away (hopefully Scotland) canoe camping with my border terrier,
    One word about tarping in Scotland (between June and Sept at least). Midges!

Friends with dogs don't seem to have any problem, though as Lowlander says, something to stop them going after creatures might be worth while. I'd suggest a test camp/tarp close to home so if there are any issues you know about them before you're in the middle of nowhere. Dogs don't seem to be phased by sleeping outdoors though, its only natural I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    One word about tarping in Scotland (between June and Sept at least). Midges!

Thanks for the reply's, as for Scotland, that isn't set in stone Mal and i was going to start another topic "where to go on holiday", (but i like the idea of paddling some Loch's)

If we get a couple of decent dry days i might go and have a night camping with my fury co-pilot.

I plan to go away (hopefully Scotland) canoe camping with my border terrier, but using a tarp & bivi bag as opposed to a tent, is there anyone on here who does a similar style of camping with their dog ?, i'm unsure what to do with him at night other than take his bed and stake his lead down so he cant wander off during the night, he's very obedient but he's never been camping.
    Yep done the Glen Coe Canoe trail, hammock and camp. Trixie do dog tents they are really good Lampop Portable Folding Outdoor Dog House Pet Tent Small Animals Shelter For Small Dog and Moggies to Snooze in https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BXH9L...wig-AbKKRGAAWz

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

I bivi with my beagle, I put the clip on his collar and not his harness as they can get out of a harness quite easily, then use a stake out or tie the chain to a tree etc. If you are a bit unsure, and you are going to stake him out, use a chain for heavens sake, if they get excited by a smell or noise, they will chew through a lead or rope as quick as you like and disappear off to find out what it is

Did Great Glen a number of years ago with GSD she just slept next to me and only moved when she heard something but with dogs I have now lead on a anchour. But when we did trip the GSD ended up wearing a head net as midges worried her so much she just had it on at the campsite in evening and wasn't worried about it.

Journal Entries

My first suggestion is to camp on an island. Takes the worry out of the dog wandering too far during the night

in my experience most dogs very quickly realise that camp is home currently and they will hang around and not wander far. This of course depends on your dogs wanderlust a bit. For any dog up to medium sized Rottweiler or Vizsla I'd have them sleeping in the hammock or Bivi with me. The extra heat is usually a bonus and you don't worry about them being cold. Once you have a bigger dog or more than one O make up some sort of bed for them with a foam sheet and maybe a blanket. I also have jumpers for them that they probably don't need but makes me feel less guilty in my warm sleeping bag.

If you don't make them a bed they will just take yours

John

thanks guys for the reply's and photo's, certainly given me something to work with, I'm pretty sure my BT will be fine in his bed as he's very chilled out, but i cant see him taking to a mozzie net in a hurry.

border terrier... just take him with you in your sleeping spot as john says, it's smaller than the dogs we talk about

Quote Originally Posted by lowlander View Post
    border terrier... just take him with you in your sleeping spot as john says, it's smaller than the dogs we talk about

Not a chance, he fidgets............ and farts...a lot !

Not a chance, he fidgets............ and farts...a lot !
    Has the Border Terrier hacked your account?

hi I use ddtarp and hammock but with taking the dog put the hammock on the ground and the tarp above with back of tarp also on the ground and the other side of tarp above and used as a cover and space to cook under for shade this can be dropped down at night to give you protection from wind and rain most DD hammocks can be set up on the ground and have midge nets included just a matter of pegging them out also put old groundsheet or thick polythene under the hammock ,I have photos of mine set up this way will try look them out after work.