Thread: canoe search

Default canoe search

Hi I am trying to research a canoe i am looking for to purchase. it has 3 criteria. affordable, for sale in uk and lastly and the clincher it has to be really really light. I see Hou 13 are 22kg but anything out there around 15kg. Looked at some of the sit ons to get the weight down but really want a canoe in my heart. thx.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie030 View Post
    Hi I am trying to research a canoe i am looking for to purchase. it has 3 criteria. affordable, for sale in uk and lastly and the clincher it has to be really really light. I see Hou 13 are 22kg but anything out there around 15kg. Looked at some of the sit ons to get the weight down but really want a canoe in my heart. thx.
    "affordable" and "light" are quite subjective criteria depending on how much money and strength you have respectively

Also you don't mention how big your canoe should be.
    As a starting point, however, a canoe with a 'volume capacity' of about 400 kg can be called relatively heavy if it weighs more than 30 kg, and really, really light at 16 kg -- and so on up or down the scale.

Dirk Barends

Hi Yes was a bit vague. Single canoe, about 500 new or used, light as possible. Thx.

Hi Yes was a bit vague. Single canoe, about 500 new or used, light as possible. Thx.
    Then the Hou 13 you mentioned is heavy and expensive (for you)
    and I don't think you will be able to get something new that will fit your criteria.

Dirk Barends

Unfortunately 500 is at the lower end of the price range for canoes, even second hand. Anything under about 25kg is considered pretty light in the UK, and will generally be starting at getting on four times your budget new, and more than half that second hand.

The closest I can think of that might come up second hand occasionally is an Old Town Pack, but you'll have to pay a bit more than that for one unless you get very, very lucky.

Snake River canoes also make a 12' one which is remarkably similar to a Pack, but in GRP. I don't know the weight of that exactly but it should be light. They're also near to you, maybe give Mel a call.

thx Mel for the info. i might do that. will keep searching for now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    [...]
    Snake River canoes also make a 12' one which is remarkably similar to a Pack, but in GRP. I don't know the weight of that exactly but it should be light. They're also near to you, maybe give Mel a call.
    If you mean Glassfiber-reinforced plastic with GRP, then it won't be really light (for its size).
    The fact that no weights are given on their website, gives me the idea that they will be heavy though.

Dirk Barends

Quote Originally Posted by canonymous View Post
    If you mean Glassfiber-reinforced plastic with GRP, then it won't be really light (for its size).
    The fact that no weights are given on their website, gives me the idea that they probably will be heavy though.

Dirk Barends
    Yes, that site's frustrating with a lack of information.

Wavecloud had/has one, which I've paddled and lifted, and its certainly light, though probably not as light as the Pack. Guess it would be under 20kg, maybe 17 ish from memory of how it felt.

thx will look up wavecloud

thx will look up wavecloud
    Sorry, confusing. Wavecloud's a chap who used to post on here, and owns a Snake River 12. He no longer posts I'm afraid.

Is canoeing like cycling I wonder?

There is (was, he's dead now) a chap called Sheldon Brown, his mantra when it came to bikes and components was "Cheap, Light, Strong - you can pick any two"

Journal Entries

Just a general observation: Lightest canoes I have are from the early 70s - when kevlar first began being used. More recent models of the same canoes are heavier.

The earlier canoes often need some work - re-enforcement, but if you can do some glass work - you end up with a nice light canoe. I have two canoes in the 15 kg range. 20 to 22 kg is much more common.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
    Is canoeing like cycling I wonder?
    [...]
    Very much so, only cycling is much more common, so it is easier to get a light weight one.
    Although personally (living in a flat country with no hills) I still prefer steel
    for that matter, even if somewhat heavy,
    also because it seems to give somewhat nicer ride than aluminum.
    Last edited by canonymous; 13th-May-2018 at 05:41 PM.

On the Grand Union Canal, near Milton Keynes

Hello. One option for flat water paddling would be a plywood canoe. You can either make it yourself or if you are lucky you might find one secondhand. I bought a secondhand one of eBay a few years ago for 200. It need some fiberglass work to reinforce the keel line, nothing to difficult. After the work it weighed in at about 18kg. John

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

If "light" is the most important factor..... http://gaboats.com/
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I enquired about them but then won a pack on ebay.

He taylors the layup to the customer. He said he can get them down to 16kg if you're only going to be using it in deep water and have a degree of mechainical sympathy.

As above, a homemade ply boat can also be very light. The Selway fisher little kate can come in under 10kg but you'd probably need to use a double blade for stability. They do a big kate at 13.6kg. A guy was making a Christine when I built my peterborough and it looked like a lovely little boat, around 16kg.

Then there are some extremely lightweight skin on frame designs.

I wonder how much weight could be saves on the likes of a hou 13 or a venture ottowa by re-outfitting them with wooden gunwales and a half-width seat? Maybe get them down under 20kg?
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."