Thread: Cedar-Strip Jensen

Journal Entries

Default Cedar-Strip Jensen

Haven't posted for a while.

Had a neighbor. He had an old stripper - no gunwales (never had any) hanging in his garage. After some years - I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He allowed he would, but he'd have to have $2000 for it - as it was a Jensen prototype - built by Eugene Jensen in 1968 (I don't believe this). He had many stories about Jensen and apparently did know him.

I believe what the canoe is - is a stripper built by my neighbor - in a class held by Jensen. It has multiple defects - mostly cosmetic.

The neighbor sold his place - leaving the canoe. The new neighbor is a shirt-tail relation of mine, Doug Happy - a Bear Clan Ojibwe. He asked me if I wanted to buy some guns. He had a Winchester Model 70 .300 mag. A Jap WWII Arisaka, and a .30 cal Remington pump action - nothing I need - so I asked him about the canoe. He hesitantly asked me if I would pay $200. I felt like I could have talked him down, but $200 is fair. Spent a day and a half putting gunwales and thwartes on it. There will be no seats. Should work well for wild rice harvesting.

I tried to put up a photo - but I can't remember how.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 12th-May-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Congratulations on your new canoe.

Wild rice harvesting sounds interesting - are there no shops round your way?

Nice story.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Welcome back, Pierre! You'd been gone too long!

Nice story, proving - possibly - that everything comes to him who waits!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

I don't think Gene Jensen had wild rice harvesting in mind when designing his canoes!
    Not knowing who or what a Jensen canoe was i googled and came across this https://www.jensencanoes.com/ What lovely looking canoes! His designs obliviously influenced Wenonah if only to name a boat after him.
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Journal Entries

flat cap andy: You are so right. Gene Jensen definitely didn't have wild rice harvesting in mind when he designed his canoes. They have poor initial stability - but great final stability - so it behooves the rice harvester to have a good sense of balance (to propell the canoe while rice harvesting - you stand in the canoe and use a push pole). It is - however - the canoe that is available - and it works.

I own a 1973 kevlar Wenonah Jensen - and the lines of this stripper are very close.

kmac: As to "shops" - I take it you mean places where rice is sold. Wild rice is up to about $12 a pound. When I can go out and harvest 75 pounds on a good day - it seems like the better option.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I didn't really know what wild rice is, but have now looked into it briefly and understand why you harvest it.
    Turns out it is not technically "rice"

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    I didn't really know what wild rice is, but have now looked into it briefly and understand why you harvest it.
    Turns out it is not technically "rice"
    One of Ray Mears' programmes on Canada had a section collecting wild rice from a canoe, I think, or at least whilst on a paddling trip.

Ignore as I don't know how to delete a post!
    Last edited by flat cap Andy; 13th-May-2018 at 10:29 PM. Reason: peanut brain

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    flat cap andy: You are so right. Gene Jensen definitely didn't have wild rice harvesting in mind when he designed his canoes. They have poor initial stability - but great final stability - so it behooves the rice harvester to have a good sense of balance (to propell the canoe while rice harvesting - you stand in the canoe and use a push pole). It is - however - the canoe that is available - and it works.

I own a 1973 kevlar Wenonah Jensen - and the lines of this stripper are very close.

kmac: As to "shops" - I take it you mean places where rice is sold. Wild rice is up to about $12 a pound. When I can go out and harvest 75 pounds on a good day - it seems like the better option.
    I read something about sturgeon noised birchbark canoes that where used for pushing through bull rushes etc..possibly good for rice harvesting?