Thread: A Womble Down The Welland

Default A Womble Down The Welland

The title will make sense....later. For an afternoon out we chose an old favourite, Gretton to Wakerley, but as ever, however many times we paddle it there is always something different to make it worthwhile.

The Welland is settling down into summer levels now........the start at Gretton weir.....seems an age since we paddled over the fish ladder

I never get fed up with this bit of the river.....it's away from any road noise and utterly peaceful

The usual trees to shuffle over

Under.....this one is Big Bertha

....and through

Occasional glimpses of the wider valley

Tunnels to explore - this route avoids the first weir at Thorpe-by-Water

It leads to a lovely little backstream

As it meets the main river the EA have installed what looks like a mini-slalom course of rocks...

......these are to diffuse the current and give fish migrating upstream somewhere to rest and hop between - the whole back stream forms a fish migration route past the weir - you can read more here if you are interested http://www.wellandriverstrust.org.uk...Case-Study.pdf

On previous trips Hippo has gone home with scaffold planks, balls for the dog, buckets to mix cement but I have never seen such happiness as yesterday with the prize of four stainless steel eye bolts......what a Womble!

You know when your other half pokes you for snoring in front of the TV and you claim you weren't asleep, just resting your eyes......not stuck, just resting on this rock awhile!

Still quiet, no traffic noise......no other humans......wonderful

A first glimpse of the Harringworth/Seaton viaduct.......the longest brick built one in the universe apparently

It's generally plain sailing after Harringworth

But at Barrowden, at an eye watering cost, the weir has been 'improved' for fish & eels

with the addition of a feature just downstream

This is the EA's explanation of the works

The Environment Agency needs to undertake significant refurbishment works at our gaugingstation at Barrowden. Fish and eel pass works are also required alongside this refurbishment toaddress local Water Framework Directive (WFD) failures and to ensure compliance with thelegislation. Barrowden Weir is the penultimate obstruction to fish and eel passage on the RiverWelland between Market Harborough and the sea, so enabling fish passage here will be asignificant environmental achievement.In summary the works involve structural repairs to the concrete gauging weir and the installationof a rock ramp fish pass in the river channel below the weir pool.

Good on them and good luck to the fish - all I would say is that a little consideration for canoeists wouldn't have gone amiss as the alternative to weir shooting is a mix of fence climbing, boat dangling, abseiling or a 500m portage......just saying!

The end of the blog and the end of the journey at Wakerley's fine old bridge - beer earned I reckon,

Regards to you all, Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Thought of you yesterday as I drove south from Notts to home, wondering if you were on the Welland, Nene or Ouse as I crossed them on the A1.

Obviously I had to break the journey somewhere and, rather than a services, I chose the Gt Ouse at Houghton for a little mid-journey circuit...

Another good one chaps! Must come and do this one with you sometime, would be nice to paddle the Welland again.

Great photo's and peaceful paddling, thanks for sharing.

I'm now listing these blog titles a\fter this one Dick!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

p.s.
    One day soon I want to see/experience this!

Wow!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Journal Entries

That's a cracking looking river to paddle. I can't imagine I would ever tire of paddling it either.