Thread: Anyone for a C.R.A.P. solstice?

Cool Anyone for a C.R.A.P. solstice?

I'm wondering about a Cumbrian Reasonably Affable Paddlers' (C.R.A.P. (you know who you are)) outing for the solstice this year.

Regardless of the "other" midsummer post on this forum, the solstice is the 21st June (Stonehenge say so and they should know: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/v...mmer-solstice/).

Midweek; Wednesday night, Thursday morning.

I was thinking about not going far from [my] home so.......Coniston. Not sure exactly where but online calculators say that (taking topography into account) sunrise from Peel Island should be at 5:50am (if I've got it right). (This is a cool tool: http://www.solartopo.com/daylength.htm)

I could be persuaded towards one of the smaller Windermere islands off Claife where sunrise would be 3/4 hour earlier due to the hills being further away.

I'm thinking: no camping but get up early; bit of a paddle; bit of a fry up. Watch the clouds.....that sort of thing.

Anybody interested?

I us this app https://www.photoephemeris.com/ , its more of a photo tool, but gives you Sun & Moon rise and set and direction.
    Simms ..

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    I us this app https://www.photoephemeris.com/ , its more of a photo tool, but gives you Sun & Moon rise and set and direction.
    That looks cool.

It's about time there was more CRAP in the water Rob, can't commit just yet but will watch this space and do what I can! If not this one then maybe something else. how about a trip to spot some seals off walney this summer? Get the right weather and it's an ok trip for opens especially in mixed company - with yaks to lend a hand if there's an issue.
    Andy,
    (Cumbria)

Hi Andy.
    yes, I might abandon mid week mid nights but some paddling over the summer would be good.

Couldn't do mid week but certainly up for some seal action

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

A Peel breakfast sounds like an excellent idea, I have much cooking apparatus and sadly haven't used it enough recently. Does moving it to a Saturday very early morning alter the whole solstice dynamic by very much? Does bacon, eggs, possibility of black pudding and fried bread change anyone's mind? Eat, watch sun come up, go home... if we set out to arrive at 4ish we'd likely be home by 8ish, Peel is, after all, only 15 minutes from Low Peel Near.
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
    A Peel breakfast sounds like an excellent idea, I have much cooking apparatus and sadly haven't used it enough recently. Does moving it to a Saturday very early morning alter the whole solstice dynamic by very much? Does bacon, eggs, possibility of black pudding and fried bread change anyone's mind? Eat, watch sun come up, go home... if we set out to arrive at 4ish we'd likely be home by 8ish, Peel is, after all, only 15 minutes from Low Peel Near.
    Absolutely up for that. Nothing in the calendar either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This is sounding good!
    I've just cleared something off my calendar for that day.
    If we're not actually going for the solstice do we actually need to be up at obscene-o'clock?
    Anybody know what the tides are like that morning? Does it matter?