Thread: A little loop on the Exe

Cool A little loop on the Exe

Ralph messaged me to see if I was keen to do the lower Exe loop. Neither of us had used our canoes in a while so it was the perfect easy outing to get back in the saddle so to speak.

Ralph's brother joined us and decided he's cycle down to the pub and paddle back with us.

The canal was looking a little dirty, but the sun was out in full force.

I was glad I'd applied my P20 before leaving home. I didn't have to worry about the sun whilst I messed about waiting for Ralph to prepare for his week alone in the wilderness.

A short way down the canal and we were out again to cross the road and go down the ramp to the river. Once on the river we had a good view of the work they've done to the bridge.

The river didn't look much cleaner than the canal.

Chris was seeing Ralph into the river before heading back up to the rowing club to cross over to the cycle path on the other side of the canal.

The paddle down the river was uneventful with a good breeze in our faces and not as much flow as we'd have liked. Mind you, there are some very nice yachts to admire on the way down.

Once past Topsham we were out onto the estuary and moving away from the shoreline on the right to stay in the shipping lane and main flow of the river as the tide was still receding.

Ralph was loving the paddling into the wind.

The pub is now well within sight, as is the Yurt they hire out.

Ralph still loving the paddling.

Oops - took this by accident, but it shows how light I was. Besides the canoe, I had a bottle of water and a paddle.

Looking down to Exmouth; where I've often headed for a pickup from my wife.

And finally on the grass for a rest. Ralph pulled out enough food to feed all three of us but I refrained, saving myself for later.

The Turf Ferry on it's way back to Topsham.

The Yurt and a few tents where people are camping.

My "stylish" shot:

Back on the water, in the canal at the back of the pub.

I do love boats.

And once again on the featureless Exeter canal. Fortunately with the breeze from behind which not only made the paddling easier, but took the majority of the motorway noise away from us.

Just passed under the motorway and approaching the old military boat.

Whilst it's sad to see the state of her, it's good to know she's not needed anymore.

Ralph and Chris were making me work hard.

Finally returning to the rowing club, sad that it's over so quickly, but glad we had a relaxing day out in the sunshine.

Nice day out that, can't go wrong in the sunshine.

Looks like a great place to camp. Water. Pub. View. Pub. Can't go wrong. Pub.

Nice blog and pictures,
    Simms ..

Looking good in the sun.....enjoyed your blog.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Nice one. Love the variation from wide estuary to narrow rural river.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

A most refreshing blog Bernie, I can smell the salt air off of this one tonight !

I pass over this stretch of the Exe on the M5 en route to Exeter, Sidmouth,Torquay & Saltash on quite a regular basis.....taking in as much as I can when I do, whilst still keeping an eye on the road (works)! ...and everytime promising myself to get down here one day and paddle! .....Haven't managed it yet, but this post has brought me one day closer, and that's for sure!

I can smell the salt!

Many thanks Bernie!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

p.s.
    Loved pic no.20 very artistic! .....
    Pic. no. 24: Is that a derelict German (or British) torpedo boat?

That old wreck that's high and dry may have some interesting history?

MB

p.p.s.
    Sorry about the noise from the motorway

MB

Last edited by Marcus2; 16th-May-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Journal Entries

I can't believe you would belittle Ralph for having enough rations for three on a day paddle. Unless your point is he was under provisioned for a full SotP brew stop

Great sunny looking paddle there though. Hoping to get some of that action up here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    p.p.s.
    Sorry about the noise from the motorway
    We like to complain, but how much more would we complain if we didn't get groceries and shopping items delivered eh.

I can smell the salt!
    What would you say if you saw me paddling off the shooting range at Sandy Bay then?

I went diving (first time in the UK) and took a handful of cockles, two edible crabs and a lobster. (The latter thanks to a discarded fishing net that had the poor crusties tied up for me.)

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Looking a very nice paddle Bernie... well blogged..

That poor old patrol boat has taken a hit by the looks of it... such a shame. I imagine that's game over now for it

We are definitely going to have to meet up... I'm living in Exeter now! (and was on the canal / Exe yesterday! )
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 17th-May-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    We like to complain, but how much more would we complain if we didn't get groceries and shopping items delivered eh.
    'Not half as much as I complain about getting spuds to Saltash during the Summer Holidays!'

Marcus, Where did the info about the Torpedo Boat go? - I briefly read it when posted last night, and hoped to read it more thoroughly this evening, and now it's gone!

Bernie,
    Were you diving off your canoe at the shooting range at Sandy point? Where I most probably would have been able to smell that salt air from a reasonable distance or so.... along with that unmistakable smell of cordite!

So, tell me now, how did the seafood medley go down when you got home?

Brilliantly, I'd imagine!

There's nothing better than catching it yourself, be you above or below water.....it just tastes so much better!

Teignbeaver will no doubt back me up on the one!

MB

Marcus, Where did the info about the Torpedo Boat go? - I briefly read it when posted last night, and hoped to read it more thoroughly this evening, and now it's gone!

Bernie,

Back up

Bernie,
    Were you diving off your canoe at the shooting range at Sandy point? Where I most probably would have been able to smell that salt air from a reasonable distance or so.... along with that unmistakable smell of cordite!

So, tell me now, how did the seafood medley go down when you got home?

Brilliantly, I'd imagine!
    Yes, I was diving off the SOT and towing it along as I made my way around the headland, swimming with the anchor and dropping it at spots I explored. What an experience that was, half fear, half excitement!

My son loved the Lobster and enjoyed the chef lessons for dispatching the lobster before cooking, breaking the crab legs and retrieving all the meat, etc. He enjoys cooking and baking so it was a double delight for him. I guess not many young adults get the experience so I'm chuffed I was able to offer that.

Marcus,
    Many thanks for the prompt - I'm now very much back on the clock! (It's just been another hard week, that's all! )

Bernie,
    A day out paddling with your son, that includes 'half fear and half excitement' (Which I think is just the perfect ratio when it comes to paddling!) and with the good eating thereafter, from a days canoe-foraging endeavours, with a few Chef Dads tips thrown in, make for a great family adventure... and memories that will surely last! - Outstanding stuff, love it!

My Pith Helmet is off to you tonight Bernie!

MB