Thread: Central air bags

Default Central air bags

Hi , My wife and I are heading up to Scotland for a bit of sea loch action , namely Loch Sunart and Moidart. As we maybe on our own , I am thinking of adding a central airbag to our existing front and rear . The boat is laced , so attaching shouldn't be a problem . The only off the shelf bags I can find are from Yak , a 50x55cm or 70x110, I think palm have stopped making them .Its going to be day trips in our 16ft prospector, so not too much gear .Intersted in peoples experience and opinions , Alastair

Hey

Unless you're thinking about doing this regularly, when side air bags might be a possibly better option, I wouldn't bother. If the conditions are such that taking on water or a spill are likely, you probably won't be on the water anyway. Keep close to the shore in anything but gentle stuff.

Moidart is pretty sheltered, and very lovely. Explore the islands, see if you can find our Pirate camp and Poo Island . Sunart I don't know.

I bought a yak central airbag for similar reasons. The first snag I came across however is the vast amount of air needed to inflate it - pitiful I know but I was in a rush to be on the water and gave up in the end.

Might be sea tripping next weekend and may give it another go.

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a plastic pump which is 12V from the car. It will inflate an airbag in about 30 seconds and can be bought for a few quid at Halfords.

Must give something like that a try for next weekend.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the replies

I sometimes jam a "peanut" shaped yoga ball under the front seat or central thwart for bigger white water. Works well. Shove it in partially inflated them pump it up.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Moidart as Mal says is sheltered, Sunart is also sheltered but not to the same degree.
    The main thing to consider is; if you feel you need big airbags to prevent swamping on open water you shouldn't be out there.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Moidart as Mal says is sheltered, Sunart is also sheltered but not to the same degree.
    The main thing to consider is; if you feel you need big airbags to prevent swamping on open water you shouldn't be out there.
    That is a little harsh, Tim.

No shame in a belt and braces approach to safety if it boosts confidence in what may be a person's first open water outing - especially if without the backup of another craft. Conditions can change alarmingly quickly on open water, as I'm sure you know.

Regards,
    Nick

Neris Valkure - 1. Folding kayak.
    Gumotex Twist N 1. Inflatable kayak.

http://nickayaker.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick TQP View Post
    That is a little harsh, Tim.

TBH, it was not meant to be harsh and I apologise if that is the way it came across, I know can be blunt at times.

So back to the OP.

Regarding advice on open water paddling, if there are whitecaps on top of steep waves - my advice would be to don't go out there, if you are out and the waves start to become more aggressive; land or hug a sheltered coast line where the waves are manageable.

Instead of a big air bag I would suggest carrying a "bug out bag" to enable you to sit out a storm if needs be.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

I'll second the carrying of a 'bug out bag'. When using my folding kayak I'm always on the water on my own, mostly in areas where few people ever go, and I always carry one. In my case I call it my 'what if' bag. With the contents of that bag I can always be dry, warm and safe - can sit-out storms if necessary and and walk out to the nearest civilisation if I have to. Haven't yet needed to use it - but it's reassuring having it along with me.

Regards,
    Nick

Neris Valkure - 1. Folding kayak.
    Gumotex Twist N 1. Inflatable kayak.