Thread: Tuff stuff lacing?

Default Tuff stuff lacing?

Hi again guys,
    I have been asked by a member of my club if I would be willing to lace their boat.
    I am more happy with the actual lacing after doing my own boat.

My concern with saying I would is that unlike my boat, a hou prospector. Is that the boat in question is a nova craft made from tuffstuff.

I am a bit worried because the material is so thin would lacing be an issue?

I believe that the reason for lacing is to secure gear while touring and not for buoyancy as the boat has integrated tanks.

I would appreciate any advice on this
    Thanks
    Last edited by Martyj; 9th-May-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Journal Entries

IMHO there are a couple or three reasons for lacing, lash points for securing gear, looking cool and lash point for securing additional buoyancy. The tanks in the boat right now are just enough to keep it from sinking but for use on white water then adding additional buoyancy is probably a good idea. If it's simply for lashing kit then D-rings under the gunwale would do fine. Tuffstuff is tough enough to stand the drilling and lacing if needed.

I am lucky enough to have 2 boats, one laced for WW and one with Drings for flatwater. It depends on what the member wants to use the boat for or how much they fancy it all laced up.

Some pics for your delectation!

A boat with tanks and how it floats when full of water. This wasn't tough stuff but shows how it floats, I find it tricky to re-enter when it's like this, just too unstable for my crap balancing skills. Boats with additional buoyancy I can manage ok. This one I tend to try and empty first.

Lacing with additional buoyancy on my WW boat

D-ring things made up (bits from ebay) which get screwed up under the gunwhales

Finished boat with Drings in place

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan,
    I'll have to find a bit more as to why but they seem pretty keen to have it done.
    I did suggest rings under the gunwhale it seems a very satisfactory and less invasive solution if just to lash gear down.

I dislike anything screwed to the underside of gunnels. My reason is that when man handling canoes I tend to have my fingers on the underside. If I slide my hands to a new position then any p-clip or d-ring will end up hurting me. Speaking from past experience trying to empty a flooded boat.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I loathe trade names all they do is see confusion.

For instance, Jewsons sell Tuff Stuff as a roofing product, it's polyester resin and chopped strand mat.

It is entirely possible that your mate's boat was built using just Jewsons roofing material, but it's not likely.

You might struggle to find a sound structural reason for drilling holes in a composite boat.. there are other simpler approaches.
    This post may vanish at any moment.