Thread: River Wey Paddle from the Tannery 10 am 7th May 2018

Default River Wey Paddle from the Tannery 10 am 7th May 2018

Sorry for the short notice, if anybody fancies messing about on the water, we (my friend George and I) will be meeting at the Send Business Centre, tannery lane, Gu23 7EF, 10am for a paddle on the River Wey (Triggs loop).

All are welcome.

Maj

2. Default

I’ll be up for this on accessions. I’ve got an Apache Tribe 16 3 seater and loads of paddles and life jackets so could help out. I met Maj today on the river Wey avoiding the dreaded Samson the Swan. I think that’s his name. None shall pass!

3. Default

Iíll be up for this on accessions. Iíve got an Apache Tribe 16 3 seater and loads of paddles and life jackets so could help out. I met Maj today on the river Wey avoiding the dreaded Samson the Swan. I think thatís his name. None shall pass!

4. Default

Iíll be up for this on accessions. Iíve got an Apache Tribe 16 3 seater and loads of paddles and life jackets so could help out. I met Maj today on the river Wey avoiding the dreaded Samson the Swan. I think thatís his name. None shall pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Nice seeing you on the water today mate, what a great day for it!

HaHa, that swan has chased and forced me out of the water in the past - i had to walk my canoe on the towpath and he followed me all the way to my car. Some have tried talking to him whilst others have suggested other means of dealing with him but as far as i know, he has not karate chopped anyone for ages (he did it to me 3 years ago) I think he just a bit over protective.

Keep an eye on the forum, we are on the river wey quite regularly and it would be fab if you joined us. There are so many paddlers in the local area, the popularity of canoeing is on the increase!

cheers

Maj

6. Default

Hi buddy. Do you have any pics from ur paddle. I noticed u taking pics? There was a couple in a lovely canoe abt 300 yards behind you. I’m sure it was called a silver birch from the label on the side, but it looked sweet as.

Maj,

Just for interest, how long does / did this loop take you to do ?

Col

Triggs from the Tannery is about 3-4 hours depending on how relaxed you feel.

Half an hour up to the Worsfold gates, 20 up to Triggs, an hour or so gently up to the weir on the canal above to the short portage. 40 mins or so gently down the meandering river back to Triggs, 40 mins back to Tannery. Plus stops. Can be much faster if you can be bothered, but I never can.

Thanks Mal. So could be a evening paddle this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Chippy, that was Steve and his daughter and that silver birch with wooden trim is gorgeous. Its quite a recent purchase i think and its a lovely boat, sadly i dont have a picture of it. You might recognise someone in this pic though

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Maj,

Just for interest, how long does / did this loop take you to do ?

Col
    Colin, it took us all day but 3 hours is enough. I insisted that George paddle on one side (J stroke) which took a bit of time to get used to. After a few hours - he was going in a straight line so result!

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Colin, it took us all day but 3 hours is enough. I insisted that George paddle on one side (J stroke) which took a bit of time to get used to. After a few hours - he was going in a straight line so result!
    Well done teacher.

I very much approve of the "why rush, we have all day" attitude.