Thread: Hi.

Default Hi.

Hi.

I have just joined this site. I am a keen Scouter and getting back into my canoeing. I used to enjoy messing around on white water in a kayak and competing in races when I was younger. After many years away I am slowly getting back into it. Last year I completed the Great Glen Way with a friend in 2, 16foot canoes soloed and have recently completed my FSRT, Scouting permits for both Kayak and canoe, last weekend I also successfully completed my canoe 3*. I am enjoying getting back into it and truly hooked again, I will be looking at getting my first canoe rather than kayak and already planning future expeditions with the river Wye this year and next year maybe back to Scotland.

Hello and Welcome!

Sounds like you've seen the light!

There's a high number of Scout leaders on this site, and a few Scouts/Cubs/Beavers feature as well!

Thank you, I've certainly seen the light and now can't get enough. Constantly looking at when I can get out paddling again (Easier once I manage to get my own canoe).

Hopefully I'll get to chat with some fellow Scouters and canoe enthusiasts alike and share ideas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutingSteve View Post
    Thank you, I've certainly seen the light and now can't get enough. Constantly looking at when I can get out paddling again (Easier once I manage to get my own canoe).

Hopefully I'll get to chat with some fellow Scouters and canoe enthusiasts alike and share ideas etc.
    What part of the world are you in? There may be SOTP folk wanting to meet up, or you might get offered a demo in somebody's canoe.

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. Don't forget to take your camera on all your adventures.

If you want to try one of our canoes, just let me know. I travel quite a bit and throwing canoes on the car is no problem. If fact, I'm off to Dorset in a couple of weeks!
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Hi Steve and welcome.

Welcome. Where a-bouts are you?

I'm Between Portsmouth and Guildford. Have managed to try out a few different canoes and like different ones for different reasons so trying to figure out what I am after most in a canoe.

I've arranged a test paddle for our Trekk 14S and Trekk 15T models on the 18th on the Stour near the Royal Bournemouth hospital if you're interested. The whole fleet will be at Beale Park, Reading, at the show on 1st to 3rd June.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    I've arranged a test paddle for our Trekk 14S and Trekk 15T models on the 18th on the Stour near the Royal Bournemouth hospital if you're interested. The whole fleet will be at Beale Park, Reading, at the show on 1st to 3rd June.
    Unfortunately I'm busy with work for those dates. I'll keep an eye on your website though.

Hi & Welcome Steve,
    Scouting & paddling can work rather well together ... fingers crossed on Wednesday I'll persuade our Beavers that what they want to build (for their Builders Badge) is a model canoe ... otherwise I've no idea what we'll actually be building the week after ... but either way I'm sure it'll be fun
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Hi & Welcome Steve,
    Scouting & paddling can work rather well together ... fingers crossed on Wednesday I'll persuade our Beavers that what they want to build (for their Builders Badge) is a model canoe ... otherwise I've no idea what we'll actually be building the week after ... but either way I'm sure it'll be fun
    I've recently got my Kayak and canoe permit, another leader in the Group achieved her kayak permit and another got his canoe permit, we are now also planning a canoe expedition with our Explorers
    Would love to see photos of the canoe if your Beavers choose to build one. My wife is the Beaver leader at My Group so I may have to make a suggestion as they are also about to start working towards that badge.

I'll persuade our Beavers that what they want to build
    A Dam ??

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist .
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    A Dam ??

Best Wishes.
    ScoutingSteve

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    A Dam ??

Cheers Paul Here's a dam they've built already, with a little canoe on it, our Beavers may make something similar, possibly a little smaller.

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Cheers Paul Here's a dam they've built already, with a little canoe on it, our Beavers may make something similar, possibly a little smaller.

fantastic, love the little scout duck.
    Best Wishes.
    ScoutingSteve

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutingSteve View Post
    I'm Between Portsmouth and Guildford. Have managed to try out a few different canoes and like different ones for different reasons so trying to figure out what I am after most in a canoe.
    Not far from me, and a fair few others. We quite often go out on the Wey or Basingstoke Canal, last Thursday we were just south of Guildford at Shalford. Trying to make it a regular "first week of the month" thing, though haven't organised anything for the next month. There's normally a spare place in a canoe, and the chance to try others too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Not far from me, and a fair few others. We quite often go out on the Wey or Basingstoke Canal, last Thursday we were just south of Guildford at Shalford. Trying to make it a regular "first week of the month" thing, though haven't organised anything for the next month. There's normally a spare place in a canoe, and the chance to try others too.
    Thanks for getting in touch. How many of you tend to meet up? Please let me know when it's arranged for the next meet and I'll try and get there. With work, Scouting and family I have very limited time available though.
    Best Wishes.
    ScoutingSteve

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by worosei View Post
    Welcome!
    Thank you.
    Best Wishes.
    ScoutingSteve