Thread: The Dangerous River - R.M. Patterson

Default The Dangerous River - R.M. Patterson

A very interesting account of the early exploration of the South Nahanni by the author in a time when this was a true adventure. The writing style is very understated but if you are interested in accounts of historical exploration then this is a good read. It is especially interesting if you have done/are doing/are going to do a canoe trip down the Nahanni

What struck me was just the sheer competence of Patterson, and others, in dealing with a challenging environment. He makes a tricky river seem very matter of fact and as for surviving once beyond the one of summer....chilly.

Quote Originally Posted by paulwood View Post
    What struck me was just the sheer competence of Patterson, and others, in dealing with a challenging environment. He makes a tricky river seem very matter of fact and as for surviving once beyond the one of summer....chilly.
    Yes, I'm not sure there are many of us who would know how to build a cabin or hunt and dress the game and then butcher and preserve the meat. These are the skills of a lost generation who might have needed them for everyday survival. As I said, the writing style is very understated given the enormity of the tasks he undertook.