Thread: The Model Canoe build

Default The Model Canoe build

So, after a long time staring at the box, I decided that the time had come to tackle the project. I took an inventory of all the bits, read the instructions and then tried to watch the instructional DVD but it was a US version so didn't work. Knowing that the world has moved on I checked out YouTube and, sure enough, there it was (I'll post the link later).

So, I headed off to the DIY store to get glue, clamps, clips, tools I didn't have etc. and then armed with very little talent, zero patience and a good dose of hamfistedness I stepped into the ring.

My first realization (yes I know it should be spelt with an "s" but I have US settings and I hate seeing the red line) was that I had to take things slowly. My second was that the combination of written instructions and video was essential but there would be many things that needed the application of the "suck it and see" approach to life.

First put together the form work

Then tape it to stop the glue sticking to it

You'll also notice the first strip has been placed. This is the one you HAVE to get right as everything else will follow off it. I found it easier to use small tacks to hold this along with the clamps and clips. There is a significant bend and I didn't mind the holes as these would be covered later.

The next strip was Red Cedar. You get four in the kit and can elect to place them anywhere in the sequence you like. I wanted two high up the canoe and two in the floor.

TBH, I didn't buy enough clamps and clips but they sure weren't as cheap as the guy says they are in the video.

Then you just keep adding.

Coming round the bend is a real challenge. In an earlier photo you can see a small modelling plane which is used to take an edge off the strips to help them fit more snugly but it is a little hit and miss and there is a serious twist placed on the strip which means you need to get you clamps well set up.

Getting the angles on the strip ends right as you start to "flatten out" can be tricky.

And you move into "Heath Robinson" territory when the clamps run out of stretch

And as you near the end you need to think about how you will finish

Cutting off the ends is an exercise in faith but it all went reasonably well in the end

Then you have to start sanding

The next act of faith is taking the canoe off the form work and then having to deal with the glue build up on the inside. Tis tool did a remarkably good job.

Now you have to make the seats

I made the seats as I was waiting for other stuff to dry. Next you start putting in the ribs. These needed soaking and heating in hot water and were very delicate. I have to say this part might have caused me the most stress when I was expecting the least.

Then its the rails

You get 3 sticks for thwarts and a yolk so you need t have some carving skills and some patience. Go lightly, you can take it off but you can't put it back.

There you have it. The final pictures aren't of a finished model as i still need to decide what coating I'm going to use and the seats, thwarts and yolk aren't actually glued in yet. The sanding has been interesting, starting with 120 and going to 220 but there are still small patches where the glue shows through. I don't want to over sand so I'm stopping now. Very smooth to the touch but there are some blemishes which, I feel, adds to the character. You could use wood filler to tidy things up but I am electing not to.

Here is the link to the video which is fascinating in its own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sTcUqoOKqc&t=120s
    Last edited by bobt; 2nd-May-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Wow, what an amazing model! Congratulations on your patience and skill. It looks great now and I bet you can’t wait to see the full glory of the wood when it has it’s final coat.

Time for a full size version....?
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

That's fabulous Bob! Part of me wonders is its any easier than building a real one though!!! Whatever, I'd love to have one of those in my home. Though inevitably I'd probably end up trying to persuade somebody's dog/cat/smallchild to have a paddle in it....

Looks amazing Bob. Good practice for a full sized version. Will definitely need more clamps for that.

Need to make some small paddles to go with it?

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    Wow, what an amazing model! Congratulations on your patience and skill. It looks great now and I bet you can’t wait to see the full glory of the wood when it has it’s final coat.

Time for a full size version....?
    Honestly, I think I will tackle a full sized version now. But it has been a great experience. The final coat is a dilemma Varnish would likely give it a tougher finish but oil or stain would give it a better feel.

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Looks amazing Bob. Good practice for a full sized version. Will definitely need more clamps for that.

Need to make some small paddles to go with it?
    My biggest mistake was not enough clamps so I would not hold back for a full size. The kit does come with small paddle pieces, I just need to glue and carve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    That's fabulous Bob! Part of me wonders is its any easier than building a real one though!!! Whatever, I'd love to have one of those in my home. Though inevitably I'd probably end up trying to persuade somebody's dog/cat/smallchild to have a paddle in it....
    I got over that possibility by eliminating any chance that it will be waterproof

No harm in an oil finish then, if it will never see water in anger....

Incredible model.

All you now need is a Mini Me to try it out
    Simms ..

WOW !, that's a fantastic model, I cant wait to see it all finished and with the paddles, well done.