Thread: Brittany ferries to st malo ?

Default Brittany ferries to st malo ?

So,the ferry company won't let me board unless the 17ft canoe is inside a vehicle,I thought I could simply walk on using a wheeled frame
    if anyone is passing through on the 16th of May and sees a bedraggled man humming the song of the paddle,could I cadge a lift? Expenditure is kept to a minimum to raise more funds for this Sue Ryder sponsored event,hence the begging bowl

You will struggle to get a 17ft canoe inside a vehicle unless its a lorry

aye, lorry seems to be the only suitable vehicle,I suspect I may have to financially benefit a random driver

Seems odd they won't allow it strapped to the top of a car

I think they will kmac,but I don't have access to a vehicle, perhaps the word 'bribe' may come in useful, although I would have to pay the excess which I'm more than happy to do, I generally travel by the seat of my pants

The St Malo crossing is with Brittany ferries who are a robbing bunch of -------!!
    The last time I used them (in 2012 on the Roscoff crossing) they wanted 60 to take a 15' canoe on my roof. That's knowing that the boat wouldn't take up any more space than the car because there's masses of headroom.

If you don't tell them you're taking a canoe atop the car it's likely they will just let you on, but that isn't guaranteed, so they may not let you on or charge you extra.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Aye,the words 'robbing bunch of..'also occurred to me!
    I will also try Condor ferries and hope,perhaps beyond reason,that some concession may be made

Currently N. Somerset. Oftimes Quebec Province, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by worosei View Post
    ........ Expenditure is kept to a minimum to raise more funds for this Sue Ryder sponsored event,hence the begging bowl
    Is there a transport company on-line chat-room? Perhaps a direct approach to Eddy Stobart Co or Norbert Dentressangle or equivalent might help? Or have you tried (I guess you will have done) a direct approach to the Ferry Company's Publicity Department......

Good luck; what's the trip?
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

Surely all you need is a long rope and a tight grip?

All you need is a long rope. It should tow reasonable well if its not too windy on the crossing.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

I assume you have to go to St Malo, but if not try LD Lines (DFDS) from Newhaven to Dieppe.
    If booked in advance they are substantially cheaper than Brittany. Whether they would let you on with just a canoe, I've no idea.

Link https://www.dfdsseaways.co.uk/
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I'm paddling to the Black Sea,apparently there are a few countries in the way!
    Hoping to coastal hop aground the med as the return trip and use the French river system to return to St Malo,which has excellent links to the Loire,I'm picking up a sailing rig in Romania from a pal to assist

Well it seems I'm accommodated,just in case someone else has the same issue or doesn't want the expense of taking a vehicle,condor ferries from Poole can send your canoe/ kayak as freight to Europe which you can accompany

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    The St Malo crossing is with Brittany ferries who are a robbing bunch of -------!!
    The last time I used them (in 2012 on the Roscoff crossing) they wanted 60 to take a 15' canoe on my roof. That's knowing that the boat wouldn't take up any more space than the car because there's masses of headroom.

If you don't tell them you're taking a canoe atop the car it's likely they will just let you on, but that isn't guaranteed, so they may not let you on or charge you extra.
    Sorry But I can't agree with the robbing bunch of .... bit. I use BF every 6 to 8 weeks to get to my house in Brittany. The length and height of your vehicle are both taken in to account for loading the ferry. I find the service excellent and the prices quite reasonable bearing in mind that they are a business and not a charity. Ok, I have a regular user discount card which makes quite a difference but how else are you going to get to the West of France? There are other ways to get to France and BF may not appear to be the cheapest but they are efficient ,courteous and provide a unique service. My card can be used to provide a 10% discount for 'family and friends'

If you are planning to use the Nantes - Brest Canal etc. to get to get to ST Malo be aware that there are many locks in that system that are not manned (or only manned in the summer). Exiting to portage around them is often not easy as the banks before and after slope steeply and are impossible to climb.