Thread: Might need a bigger boat

Journal Entries

Default Might need a bigger boat

I’ve been dog sitting Bella for the last 3 weeks. It was meant to be for a week but has become a bit more open ended. If she is going to be here for a while I need to get her used to being in the canoe.

Now with a 14 month old 35kg Rottie the best thing to do is introduce them gradually. Especially if their training has been a bit patchy. Ideally after acclimatising them to the PFD you take them out on their own with two people in the canoe so you can manage the situation.

With all that in mind I loaded the three dogs into the car and headed out to the loch for a solo paddle to see what happens

Turns out she just wants to sit in the canoe and watch the world go by, much like myself

The biggest issue was just getting her into the canoe the first time. Once she was in she just sat there. If anything she made the canoe more stable as she was providing some steady ballast.

There was a little wind but nothing too bad. We paddled to the river mouth where I let the dogs stretch their legs and to see how Bella was getting in and out of the canoe. Again no problem apart from her getting stuck up to her hips in the mud at one point. I had to go pull her out without h]getting stuck myself.

Then back in the canoe. I was getting confident enough to push my luck a bit with the photo taking.

We landed again a bit further up the loch but I didn’t take any pictures then. After that a bit more of a paddle about and back to the car after having been out for a little over an hour in total.

So a successful first paddle. Only downside is it is a bit more weight to be paddling about and makes less room in the canoe. Hoping to have a camping trip in a few weeks so if Bella is still here I guess that’ll be the next test.

Couple last pictures to finish

I think you should be making them paddle.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    I think you should be making them paddle.
    That was my first thought as well .
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Bella is not much of a swimmer from what we can tell or my thoughts would have been getting her to tow the canoe.

You just need a parrot on your shoulder now to complete the menagerie.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Journal Entries

I’ve got two cats and three chickens already but for some reason never felt the urge to take them canoeing.

A very elegant looking pack that you are leading there. Try a double outrigger to go through the PFD handles and you'll look like a Louisiana paddle steamer....

Surprisingly stable looking crew. Probably more so than the Captain to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I’ve got two cats and three chickens already but for some reason never felt the urge to take them canoeing.
    You MUST get them all in the canoe together, even if its just for the photo. For added points, the photo should be from a drone controlled by yourself, or from that weird thing you has to enable you to chuck your GoPro up in the air...

Dogtastic ! They have you well trained, taking them to sniff central with knee deep gloop.

Even at 15 years old my Molly is still a great canoe dog.

Nick

I love how you combine the two forums at any possible opportunity. Good on you big man. Look forward to the camping trip blog.

P.s.
    Is camping on Loch lomond really so dangerous that you need three guard dogs?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    P.s.
    Is camping on Loch lomond really so dangerous that you need three guard dogs?
    My thinking is it might put any ranger off trying to tell me I can’t camp there

Awesome doggie pics. They look so calm and contented.
    I guess being in a canoe does that.

There's puzzle in there somewhere if you ever need to get them all across a river
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

I'm thinkin' nobody's gonna sneak up & rob you overnight....

I think, Bella should be allowed to go on camping trips, with Uncle John, any time. Sort of a "boy/girls weekend away" .... its a must
    Last edited by Simms; 2nd-May-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    Simms ..

You look a bit out of place without an orange PFD.

Brilliant!

Not quite sure which photo-competition this will win....

But it will!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Brilliant!

Not quite sure which photo-competition this will win....
    But it will!

...Best red sail in the distance comp?? ...

Enjoyed that lovely doggy paddle John ... I can imagine your car smells....interesting?

Journal Entries

My car smells of adventure

Bella is currently back with her owner. Not really sure what is happening with her long term but she will be missing out on a camping trip this weekend. Three dogs on a two night camping trip could have been interesting.

My car smells of adventure .
    If you can now bottle it, it'll sell well, down here in the south!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

With all words aside now, this super picture of three dogs in a canoe 'somewhere in Scotland' in such a stoic pose, intrigues me everytime I look at it...just brilliant!

MB

Journal Entries

Thanks. Heading out for a trip tonight but will only have one dog now. Sam ripped a nail out last night so is benched for a few days. So the next blogg you’ll see from me will only have the one dog and I’m not sure anyone has ever described Marlowe as looking stoic on his own. Vacant, maybe but never stoic

I admire it, not so much because it's a lovely photo (which it is), but because I cannot imagine being able, in any way, to take such a picture with my own bow-mate, Wizard the Jack Russell terrier. I always think G.K.Chesterton grasped the essential nature of the terrier in this passage...

"I remember being in the lobby of the Haymarket Stores one day, and all round about me were dogs, waiting for the return of their owners, who were shopping inside. There were a mastiff, and one or two collies, and a St. Bernard, a few retrievers and Newfoundlands, a boar-hound, a French poodle, with plenty of hair round its head, but mangy about the middle; a bull-dog, a few Lowther Arcade sort of animals, about the size of rats, and a couple of Yorkshire tykes.
    There they sat, patient, good, and thoughtful. A solemn peacefulness seemed to reign in that lobby. An air of calmness and resignation - of gentle sadness pervaded the room.
    Then a sweet young lady entered, leading a meek-looking little fox-terrier, and left him, chained up there, between the bull-dog and the poodle. He sat and looked about him for a minute. Then he cast up his eyes to the ceiling, and seemed, judging from his expression, to be thinking of his mother. Then he yawned. Then he looked round at the other dogs, all silent, grave, and dignified.
    He looked at the bull-dog, sleeping dreamlessly on his right. He looked at the poodle, erect and haughty, on his left. Then, without a word of warning, without the shadow of a provocation, he bit that poodle's near fore-leg, and a yelp of agony rang through the quiet shades of that lobby.
    The result of his first experiment seemed highly satisfactory to him, and he determined to go on and make things lively all round. He sprang over the poodle and vigorously attacked a collie, and the collie woke up, and immediately commenced a fierce and noisy contest with the poodle. Then Foxey came back to his own place, and caught the bull-dog by the ear, and tried to throw him away; and the bull-dog, a curiously impartial animal, went for everything he could reach, including the hall-porter, which gave that dear little terrier the opportunity to enjoy an uninterrupted fight of his own with an equally willing Yorkshire tyke........"

If you imagine that, in a canoe, you will see why I admire that photo so much.

Journal Entries

There’s a reason I don’t have a terrier I have cats at home for the animal chaos part of my needs