Thread: Conwy ascent. 2018

Default Conwy ascent. 2018

HI,
    Just wondering if any paddlers are doing the Conway ascent 18th June this year? or have you any experience of doing it before? hoping to paddle it with my wife as the tour not the race.
    If you havnt heard of it just Google Conwy ascent and all the info is on there.

Yes, did it a couple of years ago, as the tour in a Apache 14. Unlike many of the others, I spurned the lifts available at the finish, and when the tide had turned, paddled back to the start.

Synopsis. Lots of parking, slightely confused starting if touring, no problem spotting the finish. Not long to wait for the tide to turn, (but we had been passed by all the racers, so few behind us.) Stimulating paddle back.quite big waves under the bridges at Conwy, wind against tide. (wind is a problem one way or the other as it funnels down the valley), helpful and welcoming organisers, fabulous scenery, welcome refreshment at the finish. But its not just a pootle, fast tidal streams, exposed water, great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Yes, did it a couple of years ago, as the tour in a Apache 14. Unlike many of the others, I spurned the lifts available at the finish, and when the tide had turned, paddled back to the start.

Synopsis. Lots of parking, slightely confused starting if touring, no problem spotting the finish. Not long to wait for the tide to turn, (but we had been passed by all the racers, so few behind us.) Stimulating paddle back.quite big waves under the bridges at Conwy, wind against tide. (wind is a problem one way or the other as it funnels down the valley), helpful and welcoming organisers, fabulous scenery, welcome refreshment at the finish. But its not just a pootle, fast tidal streams, exposed water, great fun.
    FANTASTIC.... sound just what we fancy, will do the trip back but will leave my car at the slipway just before the bridges to shorten the trip back and save going back through the harbour and moored boats.
    Thanks for the info.

I think this is occurring on the 16th ​June this year.

You are correct, I wouldn't mine I checked the date before I posted