Thread: Anybody available to chaperone in Christchurch Harbour?

Default Anybody available to chaperone in Christchurch Harbour?

I want to take my newly built SF Waterman 12 out for the first time on the afternoon of Sunday 29th April in Christchurch Harbour, but a friend who was going to come along has pulled out. Is anyone able to come along and show me the ropes for an hour or two? Just looking for a gentle paddle to get used to my canoe before I venture out with the kids...

Might be worth getting used to it on more sheltered water, e.g. drive up to Odiham and go on the Basingstoke Canal, its not that far away. Especially if the 29th turns out to be windy.

Hi Thanks Mal, however as its the first time for the canoe on the roof rack I don't want to go very far. I should have said 22nd April, not 29th - the weather & tides for this weekend look pretty good, but I have decided now to go just down the road to New Forest Water Park where its nice and sheltered, and hopefully some life guards on duty!

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    Hi Thanks Mal, however as its the first time for the canoe on the roof rack I don't want to go very far. I should have said 22nd April, not 29th - the weather & tides for this weekend look pretty good, but I have decided now to go just down the road to New Forest Water Park where its nice and sheltered, and hopefully some life guards on duty!
    Enjoy! Hoping its not the typical water park which either refuse canoes or restrict them to a tiny area for an exorbitant launch fee...

Edit; "You can also bring and use your own kayak and equipment. Rates start from 20 per day, please provide a copy of your insurance details."

With high tide just after lunch, and lowish winds, you'd be fine launching in the Stour Arm of Christchurch Harbour and heading upstream....if you can get a parking place: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=248

Yes a tad steep I know, but plenty of parking and more time on the water to hone my skills (hopefully just paddling, not bailing or self rescue!). Once I know it floats and will be stable enough for the kids, and is secure on the roof rack, Christchurch harbour will be No 1 destination for this summer!