Thread: Sit Ons - Newbie Advice Required

Default Sit Ons - Newbie Advice Required

Firstly apologies if I have missed similar requests for assistance.

My good lady and I are new to kayaking and are wanting to but a couple of sitons to start with. We know very little about them, but have found 3 that look ok and are wallet friendly to start with:

The lomo first got our attention but its is collect only: lomo.co.uk/acatalog/sigma-sot-kayak.html

so we found the Bluefin which can be delivered: bluefinkayaks.com/product/swift-single-sit-on-top-kayak/

(apologies I am not allowed to post links being new to the forum and my first post)

Does anyone have any experience with these they can share?

Many thanks in advance,

Si

Not tried either of those two. When I was looking for a similar boat the Galaxy Cruz had some good comments. I ended up getting a used Ocean Prowler from ebay, I just setup a search looking for local kayaks. One thing to keep in mind is that many SOTs are self bailing, so you might have a wet ride. For flat water padding I fit scupper bungs in the prowler. Having a trolley is really handy, makes moving it around really handy, especially if you cant park next to where your launching.

Thanks Jon - that is very helpful and useful. I will take a look at that boat and look to get a trolley as well

Look at Wilderness Systems. You want to get one that looks more like a sea kayak than a bath tub

Hi and welcome to the forum. Can't help you with sit on kayaks I'm afraid, however, just curious as to why you've chosen to go in that direction?

There are many fans of SoT's on here so I'm sure you'll receive plenty of advice, but have you considered a tandem open canoe?
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Hi and Welcome!

A bit like Mark, I don't know anything much about SOTs just that the really short ones are pretty slow little lumps, and the longer and thinner faster but slightly less stable. Something in the middle, but nearer the long end, would be my thought. Well, an open canoe would be my thought, but those that know me wouldn't be surprised...

You don't state your budget or intended usage, which are always useful things to know when giving advice.
    However, for sea, lakes and normal rivers (i.e. not narrow, twisty, fast flowing ones) I can recommend the Perception Freedom. It's about the same weight as the Lomo SOT, but longer and sleeker, which means it's faster and tracks better. If bought new, then they may be too expensive for you, but they can be found second hand e.g https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perceptio...MAAOSwhTBa1Gjl
    The Perception Triumph is similar also.

Storage hatches can be purchased for these boats, so you can put items inside the hull, plus there's storage behind the seat.

If you do purchase a SOT, make sure it comes with a seat - or buy one separately, as they get uncomfortable if your back is not supported. Also, ensure it's fitted in very tightly, otherwise it's not much better than not having one at all.

One more thing; have you tried to get onto a SOT from anything other than a shallow water launch spot. I used to find it quite difficult to get onto from a riverbank etc.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I've not paddled these but suggest you investigate:

Perception Triumph
    Venture Islay
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 14

For a shorter more manoeuvrable option the Pyranha Fusion SOT would be a good option

Bought one of these a few months ago, https://www.24-7boardsports.com/dag-midway-se-kayak/ They delivered also which was handy.
    Quite tippy to begin with, but not bad once you use it a few times.

The Sot's you have linked are fairly short and wide, so they will handle fairly poor compared to something a bit longer and narrower.
    Depends what you want out of them, but id be inclined to look at some of the other options posted above, as at least they will paddle a bit nicer.

Thanks all - very much appreciated. Started looking at some of the suggestions and the wilderness systems and perceptions look good options.

To answer why a SOT - its simply that we dont have any experience so are looking for an easy option to get us out there. We may then look at open canoes and, I hope, a couple of Alpaka pack rafts but one step at a time!

Again thank you very much for the advice.

This review etc site may be of interest:
    http://www.sitons.com/

Tootega brand look good, are made in UK by the same people who make Silverbirch canoes.

If packrafts are the goal, go for the shortest,fattest and widest sit on top you can find. You dont want to get too used to anything with a bit of speed or maneuverability about it

Thanks Chrisay - great link cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    If packrafts are the goal, go for the shortest,fattest and widest sit on top you can find. You dont want to get too used to anything with a bit of speed or maneuverability about it
    Yeah an unfortunate downside - trouble is you cant walk down a mountain with a canoe and cross a lake (well I guess you cold try :-) )

Quote Originally Posted by Smidger View Post
    Yeah an unfortunate downside - trouble is you cant walk down a mountain with a canoe and cross a lake (well I guess you cold try :-) )
    You've not come across Graham then...

http://www.scottishcanoeroutes.info/...%20circuit.pdf

Hi there,
    also have a look at Feel Free Nomad, my good lady and i have one each. She finds it very stable on lakes and coastal inlets and i find it great to mess about on the surf. I agree with "Old Man " about the seats, they make them more comfy and more in connection with the kayak, but also thigh straps they really do make a difference whether doing a high a low brace and messing about on the surf. Wont stop you falling off / out but it wont be as often....

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Slow yes.

Unmanoeuvrable no.

They can turn on a sixpence.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Thanks all - ended up with a couple of Perception Triumph 13's - will report back for anyone interested when I pick them up and use in anger. Really appreciated teh help - great forum. Now need to work on other half to get a coupe of Alpackas :-)

The only experience I have with Sit-ON-Tops is with the one I purchased for my wife. It's not exactly at the bottom of the price scale, but you do get a lot for your money with this boat. It's a Wilderness Systems TARPON 100. It's only 10 ft. long, but it's very stable, handles well and can stow an amazing amount of gear. I'm very fortunate that my wife lets me borrow 'her' kayak from time-to-time. I have prepared a video review of this boat if you'd care to have a look:
    Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGmx87K4cU
    Cheers
    -Wayne

Thanks Wayne; nice video. Just a couple of points, no-one ever shows you what the bottoms of boats look like although, being the bit in contact with the water, I think it is important; does it have thigh straps? This would improve one's handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Thanks Wayne; nice video. Just a couple of points, no-one ever shows you what the bottoms of boats look like although, being the bit in contact with the water, I think it is important; does it have thigh straps? This would improve one's handling.
    Adrian, The bottom of the Wilderness systems TARPON 100 has 3 keels. It does not come with thigh straps, but I'm sure these could be added. I've never actually used thigh straps on this or any other kayak, so cannot comment as to how effective they would be on this particular boat.

I have a Tootega Kinetic 100 Hydrolite and it is a great kayak. Itís really stable and cuts through the water brilliantly, even in quite a heavy chop. I use it mostly in the Firth of Forth or sea lochs but Iím planning a little over nighter soon on Loch Lomond and Iíve no doubt it will do the job.

Hereís what the bottom of the boat looks like...

...it has a retractable skeg that really helps with tracking.

It can take quite a load of camping gear too, and still performs well on the water...

...I have managed to get enough kit in the front hatch and in a dry bag in the back well for a few nights camping on the west coast of Scotland.

I got the kayak from shore.co.uk who delivered it a couple of days later direct to my house by courier. I didnít have a chance to try the boat out before I bought it, however Iím more than happy with it now Iíve tried it out in various conditions.

The only additions I have made to it are a few one way scupper bungs to help keep a bit dry, a foam seat from eBay that really help with back support and a ctug trolley for moving it around when itís full of gear.

I hope this is useful info...any questions just ask.

Bren

Never trust a boat with holes in the bottom
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    Never trust a boat with holes in the bottom
    Haha...thatís why I put bungs in them

25. Default

Thanks very much folks - all very much appreciated.

I pick up the Perception Triumphs Monday and hope to use within a couple of weeks so will put my initial thoughts on here in case useful. Again thanks for all the advice and helpful comments.

I mostly use a sit on (an old ocean kayak frenzy) and to avoid the wet bum - have employed soft dog-toy closed cell foam balls as scupper plugs. Cheap enough to buy and squeezed in top and bottom sides - are very effective.