Thread: Wooden Canoe Project

Default Wooden Canoe Project

I know this is slightly mischievous but I can't help teasing those who can't resist fixing up old wooden canoes. I've just found this 14ft Northwood canoe for sale on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northwood...gAAOSwAQBaxfwz

No way I have the time/space to do this but surely it deserves to be rescued........
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

That's going to have SamB or Blott wetting themselves with the possibilities of restoring it!

Oh how I wish that I had the time, the skills and the patience to take this on. Maybe one day....

Spotted that days ago and managing to resist. It would be great when done. At present I have a major project on the go and 2 others waiting. To reinforce my resolve not to buy, we are soon to be moving so will need to downsize the fleet.
    If anyone does go for it, patience rather than skills is what is needed. I'd be happy to guide you through the process especially if you are east Anglia based.

This boat should not go to waste!

Sam

It doesn't actually look that bad. My excuse for saying no is I can't see how I could get it on a roof rack for a trip back to Yorkshire. If I do succumb, I'll be taking you up on that offer SamB
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Oh if I had the time, space and more importantly the skill....
    '...you can led a horse to water but a pencil must be lead...' Stan Laurel

Hi Tyro, just clamp some temporary gunwale stiffners to it, should hold until you get home. Go for it, you know you want to. I would, but I've got a stripper on the go at the moment, taking its time cos the temperatures have been sh@@ at the mo.

It didn't sell and has been re-listed.

I am still resisting. It may be worth while messaging the seller and do an off eBay deal. Never worth what people think they should be but this could make a lovely 14' solo for someone.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

It seems it has now got some bids above the reserve price so will sell. Good luck if you're in the bidding.

I'm not sure of the logic at having a reserve price and starting bidding lower than it.

Sam

I'm not sure of the logic at having a reserve price and starting bidding lower than it
    If you start the bidding at or above the reserve price there's no point having a reserve. I think the idea is to start the bidding at a price that gets people interested (the reserve price is not revealed at that time) and the reserve is to avoid the seller having to sell at less they would accept.

The one that puzzles me on eBay is that a Buy it Now disappears as soon as any bid is made. I would understand if it disappeared when the bidding went above it.

I'm watching to see how high it goes. I can probably get away with not much higher than it is now, but much above that: Questions will be asked, and she doesn't ask gently.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Pipped 2 seconds from the end of the auction. Good luck to whoever got it.

Its back on ebay again https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northwood...gAAOSwAQBaxfwz Come on, someone buy it!

I think his reserve is too high!

Quote Originally Posted by flat cap Andy View Post
    I think his reserve is too high!
    I agree, but there was not a lot of bidding anyway. Re-listed again.

Its just waiting for SamB to clear some room for it, he knows its going to end up with him eventually...

The price and the canoe will start dropping soon as I fear that the decks will be pulled out by those suspension ropes. Ideally the hull needs to be supported on trestles.

Still a fair project for someone. Needs pulling in, new inwales, outwales and probably a few broken ribs where it has sprung if you were unlucky.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Its just waiting for SamB to clear some room for it, he knows its going to end up with him eventually...
    If we weren't planning on down sizing and moving this year; if I didn't have one build on the go (with about 6 months to go); if I didn't have a 1930s English built canoe waiting; if I wasn't thinking of moving on at least 3 boats and I really did need more than 10 boats, then I might be bidding. As it is, I recently missed a mahogany built Macgregor type canoe of some age (because I was ruthlessly in control of my bidding finger and managed to keep to my initial maximum bid!)

(but the offer of help and advice with repair and restore is there if someone on here ends up with it)

Sam

20. Default

I'm just mooching about the internet this evening and came for a browse here. I don't have space for a boat and only really come to vicariously participate.

I'm into SUP and have done a wooden build of a SUP and a surfboard. That seller is a half hour drive from me. The wife would kill me if I bought it but it would be amazing to work on. I would only pitch the 50 not the 300 they want though!