Thread: Rhine River Rat

Rhine Valley/Black Forest, Southern Germany

Default Rhine River Rat

Hello everyone.

After much research on how to give new life to an old wooden canoe I ended up with you guys - and I am most grateful for it, too.

My home is the upper Rhine Valley between the Alsacian Voges and the German Black Forest where I live on the German bank some 80 kms South of Karlsruhe (come down for a beer if you are around by any chance).

My main concern now is an old German style wooden canoe that I want to refurbish. I ended up buying it (for really small $$$) in the village next to mine right after I came back from Eastern Canada where I fell in love with birchbark canoes; but this would definitely be another thread ...

Anyhow, I am very glad that I found my way amoung you guys and hope for the best to get the old lady seaworthy again.

All The best,

Bombus (the bumble bee)

Welcome to our forum, you should get all the advice you need here in exchange for a blog about your progress.
    It's good to have another enthusiast from Germany, but be careful about throwing out invitations to come for beer, you might find yourself inundated. Lol.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hallo und herzlich willkommen!

There are lots of folk on here who love renovating, building and repairing wooden canoes. Some of them even find time to paddle them despite this, too . I'm not one of them, as anything I build would be better off used as kindling I suspect, but head over to the Self-Build section and ask for any advice you need.

As for the beer, as Al says, be careful, you might be inundated!

Welcome

itd to be good to see some more Germany based blogs

come down for a beer if you are around by any chance
    another stop off point on my drives to Scandinavia has now been duly added

all the best
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Welcome to SOTP!
    I paddle the Mosel whenever we visit (my family owns a holiday house on the Mosel), but have yet to make it over to the Rhine. So I too will be looking out for any blogs / tips you have on paddling the Rhine (and other local rivers for that matter)!

I'm also renovating an old canoe... though for me, too many things keep getting in my way. So it's a long term project. I'm sure someone said 'enjoy the journey' and 'don't worry too much about when you get to the destination'. Well thats me and my old Strickland.

Matt

Rhine Valley/Black Forest, Southern Germany

Thanks for the friendly replies, guys!

@Big Al & MarkL: No worries - bring some crips/chips and I'll supply the beer.

@ Matt: I also have one obstacle to tackle before I can actually begin restoring my canoe and that is restoring my old KRAMER traktor. But it's going well so in two, three weeks things will clear up and I'll be ready to roll.

Cheers,

Bombus (the bumble bee)

Looking forward to seeing pictures of both the canoe and tractor!

Sam

Hi and welcome Bombus.
    Simms ..