Thread: Book recommendations sticky in the media section

Default Book recommendations sticky in the media section

What about it? Might be easier than looking for individual posts about water boarn Adventures.

I'd be happy to start it off with a moderate list of my favourites

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sounds good to me.

Journal Entries

Fine with me. The hard part is keeping it useful. A thread with 100 posts but 70% of them being chat will make it less useful to go through. Also is just listing the books enough may be a bit dry but do you want a bit of a description or a full review.

I’m not trying to kill the idea, more flesh it out to make it as good as possible.

I like the idea. One book per thread with the expectation of some sort of review and possibly a discussion after that.

as long as there is no mentioning anything about signed or unsigned copies it sounds great.
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

I think we now have a quorum. So whoever is empowered to set this up now has the correct authority. It looks, though, like there is a requirement for some rules so lets make a start:

Rule #1 - Obey all the rules
    Rule #2 - See rule #1
    Rule #3 - Anyone breaking the rules will be shot

Journal Entries

All it would need is for people to start posting book review threads. We already have a couple with are promoted to articles on the main site. If we get enough then I would create a sub section of the media part of the forum for Book Reviews. I’m reluctant to create the section first as I’ve done this in the past before and just ended up with an empty section that’s not used.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    All it would need is for people to start posting book review threads. We already have a couple with are promoted to articles on the main site. If we get enough then I would create a sub section of the media part of the forum for Book Reviews. I’m reluctant to create the section first as I’ve done this in the past before and just ended up with an empty section that’s not used.
    Sounds sensible. It'll evolve into something, or quietly fade away.

I'm with MagiKelly, if there is sufficient interest in books, then creating a sub-section of the Media Section is a far better option. Having to scroll down through numerous comments on a 'sticky' before finding something new gets a bit tedious, I find. I'm not sure if I want to get into book reviews - but I'm happy to post details of any little known books I come across. I think a brief summary/introduction, the title of the book and the author's name should be sufficient - we are all capable of looking for further information on Amazon, Book Depository and similar websites to decide if we are interested enough to want to read the book. I'm a great believer in keeping things simple.

Nick

It has just dawned on me (cos I'm a bit slow) that if its a sticky then you would have to scroll through to see anything other than the 1st or last post. So I can see the sub-section thing as a better option. But I do think there should be room for a little discussion and opinion.

And I would suggest that it should be one book per thread, with the title of the thread being the title of the book - then we can see at a glance whether it is a book we have already read, or already know about. And the sub-section would then become a book list. Just a thought.

Nick

See my "Blue Bear" thread. I think it fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    As does my "Spirit of the Vikings" thread - and I've just added "A Boat in Our Baggage" thread to help get E McNeill's idea 'off the ground' and to encourage MagiKelly to consider giving us a 'Book' sub-section.

Regards'
    Nick

Journal Entries

I don’t seethat thread. Is it an old one?

"The Blue Bear". Feb. 25th. 2018. 8th. tread down in Media.

Regards,
    Nicks

How about an addable "sticky" for the index? If you wanted to add a book title and brief description, you'd add it to the index which would remain at the very top of the topic column. Then the book title poster could start a thread for discussion of the book
    Would it be possible to link the title in the index to the thread belonging to it?

This way the index would remain uncluttered with book titles only and clicking on the linked book title would then bring you to the thread for that book.

Don't know if it's possible to do it that way. Or too much work for someone.

PB.

Journal Entries

My thoughts are if we have enoug posts to create a books subsection. Put all the book threads in there, make sure the title of the threads are just the book title and have that section sort alphabetically, like the places and canoe sections do. That way you can just look down the list of book titles and click on the ones you want to see the posts about.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    My thoughts are if we have enoug posts to create a books subsection. Put all the book threads in there, make sure the title of the threads are just the book title and have that section sort alphabetically, like the places and canoe sections do. That way you can just look down the list of book titles and click on the ones you want to see the posts about.
    To me, that sounds like an excellent idea - simple and useful.

Come on you folk, post some good books!

Nick

Neris Valkure - 1. Folding kayak.
    Gumotex Twist N 1. Inflatable kayak.

http://nickayaker.blogspot.com

I think we now have a quorum. So whoever is empowered to set this up now has the correct authority. It looks, though, like there is a requirement for some rules so lets make a start:

Rule #1 - Obey all the rules
    Rule #2 - See rule #1
    Rule #3 - Anyone breaking the rules will be shot
    Rule #7 - There is no rule #7
    Rule #8 - ...

Apologies for the tardiness of my reply to this thread i started

This sounds like an eminenly sensible format, also exemplified by the recent boat in our baggage thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick TQP View Post
    And I would suggest that it should be one book per thread, with the title of the thread being the title of the book - then we can see at a glance whether it is a book we have already read, or already know about. And the sub-section would then become a book list. Just a thought.

Nick
    Having the book title as the post title would make it easier to skim and make sure you were not duplicating a post about a book already recommended

My list of suggested titles is ready and waiting

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've been posting books in Media, on the assumption that MagiKelly will move them into a books sub-section as and when he thinks one is justified. Hope I haven't got that wrong!?

Nick

I'm waiting to see what happens to your posts

Be brave, be bold, bobt. Please don't wait.

MagiKelly has already said: "All it would need is for people to start posting book review threads...... If we get enough then I would create a sub-section of the media part of the forum for Book Reviews".

Help me out here. I've been posting books that I think might be little known to some members of SotP. And I'm running low on ideas.

Nick

Journal Entries

I've been posting books in Media, on the assumption that MagiKelly will move them into a books sub-section as and when he thinks one is justified. Hope I haven't got that wrong!?

Nick

Nope you have it exactly right.

Why wait for your ship to come in when you can swim out and meet it

Ok, ok, but I do have "the blue bear" and "River of fire" as two fairly recent book review threads.

Just to be clear, I would also like to see books reviewed that have a Canoeing theme but may not be necessarily about canoeing i.e. Novels where there is significant reference to canoeing.

That ok?

Just to be clear, I would also like to see books reviewed that have a Canoeing theme but may not be necessarily about canoeing i.e. Novels where there is significant reference to canoeing.

That ok?
    Tis by me! Not that I've read any...

I don't have any canoeing books that aren't the obvious "how to" books, or guide books. If I get a chance over the next few weeks, happy to pop a couple of short reviews/descriptions up of that sort of thing, if they're also wanted, as well as the "expedition" stories and novels etc.

I do hope that we are not going to get bogged down with rules and lengthy discussions about what should/should'nt be included in a book list.

I feel that folk should feel free to start a thread about any book that they think would of interest other members of the SotP forum. Whether it is 'how-to' books, expeditions, adventures, canoe/kayak construction, wildlife, survival, photography, guide books etc., etc. - even novels.

The only requisite thing, and it's really a common-sense one, is that it must be one book per thread, and the title of the book should be the title of the thread, to make the list useful.

Nick

I do hope that we are not going to get bogged down with rules and lengthy discussions about what should/should'nt be included in a book list.

I feel that folk should feel free to start a thread about any book that they think would of interest other members of the SotP forum. Whether it is 'how-to' books, expeditions, adventures, canoe/kayak construction, wildlife, survival, photography, guide books etc., etc. - even novels.

The only requisite thing, and it's really a common-sense one, is that it must be one book per thread, and the title of the book should be the title of the thread, to make the list useful.

Nick

Sounds good to me.

Journal Entries

‘Tis done
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...3-Book-Reviews

Found some old review threads too and moved them in. If you find any I missed link them here and I’ll move them. There were a couple that combined a few books so not really suitable for moving.

We really need threads for the Song of the Paddle and Path of the Paddle books. I’m sure we had reviews of these but can’t find them at the moment.

Many thanks John, I'm sure the book sub-section is going to be a useful addition to the SotP forum. I've already enjoyed browsing it.

Didn't know it's been nine years coming! Ref. your post on the 'Canoeing: Outdoor Adventures' book thread in the new sub-section.

My thanks also go to E. McNeill (the original poster) for re-introducing the idea.

Nick