Thread: Paddling in Somerset

Default Paddling in Somerset

I am moving from the Thames Valley area to Somerset (near Wells) in the next couple of months. Can anyone let me know what paddling there is to be had in the county and of access problems, if any.

Can anyone let me know what paddling there is to be had in the county and of access problems,
    It depends on how far you're willing to travel and what type of paddling you prefer really. To my knowledge there aren't many places to paddle around Wells, and Somerset in general isn't awash with easy paddling places.

Have a look at this thread which mentions some paddling venues around the Bridgwater/Taunton area http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...erset+paddling

Also, if you type "Somerset Paddling" into the search engine, you'll find several blogs about days out on different waterways, but most are waters around the Somerset Levels area so you'd need to travel.

In a north westerly direction from you, is the Kennet and Avon canal, and the river Avon - both accessible at and around Brassknocker Basin.

Whilst not very adventurous, I find canals are an easy way to get a paddling "fix". We have the Bridgwater/Taunton canal on my doorstep, and further south there's the Grand Western canal, although that's maybe too far for you.

Just shout if you need more detailed info.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Many thanks “Old Man”. I will be prepared to travel but was hoping for something more local. South Devon and the Wye seem possible in a (long) day. I will have to explore when I move.

Paddle Points may also help, or not. http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePo...Location=Wells