Thread: Not Just Swans Anymore

Default Not Just Swans Anymore

It now seems that all you folks who have to be on guard against those killer swans now have a new threat to consider.......

https://www.thestar.com/life/2018/03...behaviour.html

Ah, this would explain all those unexpected swims on rivers. An anti-social otter must have grabbed my canoe and flipped me

Sadly Surrey, where I live, remains the only county in Britain that has no known permanent otter population. This backs up my statement above, as I've never fallen out of my canoe in Surrey*.

*OK, technically a lie, but that was an Ent that got me on the River Mole, clearly no otter involvement.

Well they may be cute but you really wouldn't want to get bitten by one. My son studies animal management at college and one of the support staff had the back of his ankle ripped out by one of their otters. He never returned to work.

I wouldn't want to mess with one of these otters either...

Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

One of my auld paddlebuddies (Fergus)on Sotp was ‘taken’ by a family of otters.

We had sat and watched three or four of them from our campsite on the Border Esk one evening.

When I woke up the next morning, all I could find were a few bloodstained scraps of his BA.

The story has a happy ending though - I sold his red CR 158 in the Sotp Classified Ads section - and nothing more was ever mentioned about the incident.
    I like canoes ......

For those of us of an age (ie pretty much everyone on here) and from the UK, the late Terry Nutkins, kids TV presenter and wildlife bod, was missing two fingers from an otter attack. Reading Wiki, he was wearing a jumper from a lady the otter had already attacked and it must have got the scent, so attacks may be more common than you think (although I doubt they're as common as Mal is trying to make out ).

But I'm more scared of the people I paddle with than the wildlife.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

You otter be more careful
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Surely canoe paddlers using an ottertail paddle will be immune from such attacks?
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com