Thread: Moving on

Default Moving on

This is perhaps a tentative request but ...

I have been paddling, on and off, for nearly fifty years, mostly "off" until about fourteen years ago and now much more "on". However, nearly all of that has been on very easy local tidal rivers in a proper canoe, coastal waters in stable weather and just a bit of bouncing my head against Derbyshire rocks in what I believe is called a kayak though I think was more likely a greasy tightrope. So, I can point my boat where I want it to go (my J stroke is usually inside out but I find it comfortable so worrevva), I can turn it around in various ways and it cuts through occasional chop very well. My request then: having relegated the house refurb to even closer to the bottom of my list of priorities, I have more time and am thinking of getting to grips with more challenging water. Could anyone suggest a series of courses or lessons? I wondered about Nottingham or whatever is now available at Lee Valley but they might be too challenging and aimed at a level beyond what I want. Given that I live by the Solent, there isn't anything nearby but I would be prepared to travel to spend a couple of days being cajoled into some bouncy water with good quality guidance. Does anyone know of a very forgiving canoe school that might suit me?

If anything comes of this, I would thereafter look forward to exposing my new skills at some SOTP event in Darkest North Britain or even Wales if I can get a visa ... maybe.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I suggest Ray Goodwin. I have no personal experience of his coaching (although I have met him), but his reputation is excellent.

Hey

Might be worth going to Canoefest as a starter: https://www.opencanoe.info/civicrm/e...?reset=1&id=41 Sessions normally include whitewater to varying levels, but check first.

I wouldn't look at Holme PP (Notts) or Lee Valley, I'd look at coaching on a river. Obviously there's Ray Goodwin, generally North Wales based, who posts here often and does a nice line in books too. There are others in both South Wales and SW England, though these rivers tend to be more seasonal, i.e. winter only, compared with N Wales where there is often something available all year. Symonds Yat normally offers a venue all year round, and there should be a few coaches able to work with you there.

There's even a small, tidal dependent, little moving water practice spot on the Adur at Shoreham, the Adur Club may run taster sessions, though I only ever shared the water with kayaks when I paddled there and the club were out.

Thank you both. I will follow your suggestions. Thanks Mal for confirming that Notts and Lee Valley wouldn't suit me; I'm ok with tidal water so I think the Adur might be too soft even for me (ferry glides across the living room towards the telly to prove a point then trips and smashes head against the stereo cabinet).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hewitt View Post
    Thank you both. I will follow your suggestions. Thanks Mal for confirming that Notts and Lee Valley wouldn't suit me; I'm ok with tidal water so I think the Adur might be too soft even for me (ferry glides across the living room towards the telly to prove a point then trips and smashes head against the stereo cabinet).
    Hah. You must have got your ferry angle wrong...

Yeah its not worth the journey just for the play, but is surprisingly good if in the area doing another paddle or something, and you hit it about 2 hours before low tide. PLenty of eddy turn and ferry practice. Better to head for somewhere with rocks to dodge/hit though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Better to head for somewhere with rocks to dodge/hit though...
    I've heard the Usk has a few of these...

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    I've heard the Usk has a few of these...
    Says the pinball wizard

Thames weirs.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Default Moving on

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hah. You must have got your ferry angle wrong...

Yeah its not worth the journey just for the play, but is surprisingly good if in the area doing another paddle or something, and you hit it about 2 hours before low tide. PLenty of eddy turn and ferry practice. Better to head for somewhere with rocks to dodge/hit though...
    There's been quite an upsurge in open canoe paddling at Adur Canoe Club in the last year or so, and it's unusual to have a club session which is all kayaks these days. Low tide sessions are pretty handy for WW practise and this afternoon for instance there were a couple of kayaks and a tandem canoe out for a play.

For courses I am a big fan of Plas y Brenin for a great all round experience if that's what you're after.

http://pyb.co.uk/courses-detail.php?...C33&irisref=98

Or if you'd prefer a holiday in the sun with some top notch coaching, then I can recommend a trip to the Ardeche with TNR Coaching in the summer. They've got a special offer on at the moment too

http://www.tnrcoaching.co.uk/ardeche-france/4590876332

Thanks John K. Plas y Brenin seems ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hewitt View Post
    This is perhaps a tentative request but ...

I have been paddling, on and off, for nearly fifty years, mostly "off" until about fourteen years ago and now much more "on". However, nearly all of that has been on very easy local tidal rivers in a proper canoe, coastal waters in stable weather and just a bit of bouncing my head against Derbyshire rocks in what I believe is called a kayak though I think was more likely a greasy tightrope. So, I can point my boat where I want it to go (my J stroke is usually inside out but I find it comfortable so worrevva), I can turn it around in various ways and it cuts through occasional chop very well. My request then: having relegated the house refurb to even closer to the bottom of my list of priorities, I have more time and am thinking of getting to grips with more challenging water. Could anyone suggest a series of courses or lessons? I wondered about Nottingham or whatever is now available at Lee Valley but they might be too challenging and aimed at a level beyond what I want. Given that I live by the Solent, there isn't anything nearby but I would be prepared to travel to spend a couple of days being cajoled into some bouncy water with good quality guidance. Does anyone know of a very forgiving canoe school that might suit me?

If anything comes of this, I would thereafter look forward to exposing my new skills at some SOTP event in Darkest North Britain or even Wales if I can get a visa ... maybe.

Thanks in advance

Steve
    I would try Woodmill before you travel any distance, they are on your doorstep. Friend of mine used to run a lot of courses there, not sure if he still does.... Definitely worth contacting though: http://activenation.org.uk/outdoor_venue/woodmill/

Paul Knight, Yellow Boat on here, will see you right

Thanks mattT, I hadn't realised that Woodmill had much to offer in the way of white water but their website says "
    thrill ride white water
    at low tide" so I will take a look soon. Thanks Impcanoe, I will keep PKPaddlesport in mind too.

Yup it's defo white that water,on a low tide it's intimidating but a half tide turns the spill into a great canoe treadmill and good practice for the stroke variation

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    For courses I am a big fan of Plas y Brenin for a great all round experience if that's what you're after.
    Have done a couple of canoe/kayak courses at PYB and found the course leaders pretty professional, and a nice laid-back atmosphere at HQ itself.