Thread: First 'Big Water' Adventure

Default First 'Big Water' Adventure

After cutting our teeth on our ‘local’ water – the BackwaterReservoir – we felt ready to have a go at something a bit more challenging so made the two hour drive over to Perthshire to Loch Earn. As is my wont we took the scenic route which was awesome with the mountains still snow clad. I really should have stopped to take a pic but a) the lay-bys were all snowed up and b)I was too keen to get on the water!
    The sun mostly disappeared as we dropped back down to lower ground but it was just in evidence at the loch itself, burning off the morning mist and just about making it through the cloud:

[IMG][/IMG]

Luckily at this time of year the loch side is quiet (it’s unfortunately pretty nasty during the summer) and we were the only vehicle at one of the handy large lay-bys with super easy access to the water, putting-in about 1/3rdof the way up the loch (from the East end at St Fillans):

[IMG][/IMG]

After about 1 hours paddling Westwards along the Northshore we stopped at a handy point for a quick break and leg stretch. I managed to capture what I think was a pretty nifty picture (only had my phone on me),looking Eastwards:

[IMG][/IMG]

We paddled right to the West end then scooted across to the South shore, snapped a pic capturing the length of the loch:

[IMG][/IMG]

Edinample Castle is just visible through the trees:

[IMG][/IMG]

A little further down the shore someone has put up a load of illegal signage forbidding landing, camping & fishing. About another hour down the loch we pulled in for a spot of lunch (sending a vole running forcover), finding a handy seat tree, excuse the mess of the kitchen:

[IMG][/IMG]

I didn’t take any pics on the way back to the truck as we were too focused on getting back - when you’re used to a sub-2 mile long water – as it was a bit of a hard slog doing the roughly 9 miles we covered. We did run into a weird current for a couple of hundred yards, nothing major but definitely reduced headway and affected the tracking a bit - not sure if this might have been something to do with the seiche as it was pretty much windless at the time and didn't feel like the effect tallied with the wind direction???
    However I did take a quick snap of the scenery I didn’t bother with on the outwards journey on the way home, the photo doesn’t really convey it but it the sun as absolutely blinding on the snow:

[IMG][/IMG]

We had a couple of great moments that I couldn’t capture on film – apair of Canada geese skimming by, wingtips just dipping in the mirror like surface and large roe buck standing watching us glide by before returning its attention back to grazing.
    A knackering day all-in-all but really satisfying; still have muscle ache in places I didn’t know existed really enjoyed the day. A treat as well to have the loch to ourselves apart from a handful of Canada geese, a few mallard and a pair of teal. Now I can’t wait until the next big day out!
    Last edited by son goku; 13th-March-2018 at 06:07 AM.

The conditions look fabulous! What a great day to be on the water.

Something immensely satisfying having your wake being the only ripple on the water, like being first to make tracks on the piste. Looks like a brilliant day out, thanks for sharing.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Lovely to see the place so peaceful and clean, looks like a fantastic paddle.

I can understand what would make someone want to put up no landing/fishing/camping signs up on Loch Earn, I've once tried wild camping on the South shore in the Summer about 5 years ago and it was a disgraceful shit-tip (literally in places!) pretty much all the way along, landed up moving on to Etive.

It's part of the camping management zone now and has a brown trout exclusion order so the no landing was actually the only inaccurate part of those signs (and you can wild camp out of season). While it's controvertial, I think on Loch Earne, it was necessary, something certainly needed to be done, although I'd rather have had them prosecuting the perpetrators of the aforesaid mess.

Cracking photos, I love the way that wintery cloudy-bright light works on water. I find my point and shoot camera sometimes struggles with the exposure setting but I can pull more detail out by tweaking the gamma setting on a graphics program once I get home.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    Lovely to see the place so peaceful and clean, looks like a fantastic paddle.

I can understand what would make someone want to put up no landing/fishing/camping signs up on Loch Earn, I've once tried wild camping on the South shore in the Summer about 5 years ago and it was a disgraceful shit-tip (literally in places!) pretty much all the way along, landed up moving on to Etive.

It's part of the camping management zone now and has a brown trout exclusion order so the no landing was actually the only inaccurate part of those signs (and you can wild camp out of season). While it's controvertial, I think on Loch Earne, it was necessary, something certainly needed to be done, although I'd rather have had them prosecuting the perpetrators of the aforesaid mess.

Cracking photos, I love the way that wintery cloudy-bright light works on water. I find my point and shoot camera sometimes struggles with the exposure setting but I can pull more detail out by tweaking the gamma setting on a graphics program once I get home.
    I didn't realise it was now part of a camping management zone - to be honest I fully sympathise with the signage given the significant abuse the area gets. I used to love fishing there many years ago but unfortunately now it's just somewhere I drive past to get to more isolated places!

Being so new to canoeing I've not yet even considered taking my DSLR on-board never mind actually using it while floating, luckily the camera on the phone is half decent. I was considering getting a hide mount and setting up the DSLR on the thwart but this is probably a false security that'll just restrict shooting.

With a moniker like Stinkwheel can I assume you're a fellow biker - stroker fan by any chance?

Lovely photos - especially given they are off a phone.

Shame about the abuse that this particular loch has suffered.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by son goku View Post
    With a moniker like Stinkwheel can I assume you're a fellow biker - stroker fan by any chance?
    I useed to ride smelly Jawas but I mostly ride smelly Enfields now. The Jawas probably won because at least they were suposed to burn oil.

The powered watersports do that Loch no favours. I firmly believe people should have places where they can play on powered watercraft, it's just a shame it seems to attract a certain disrespectful minority alongside the majority who are just out for a good time while appreciating their surroundings. I would be opposed to a speed limit like the Lake District is so fond of. Of all the lochs in the area, it's long, relatively narrow and has an A-road running along one entire shore. Of all the places to disturb with engine noise, this is probably the one to pick. People dumping their rubbish at the lochside should still be jumped on though.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."