Thread: loch etive and loch awe

Default loch etive and loch awe

I will be heading north to these two lochs at the end of march and wondered if anyone could help me make a decision regarding camping.
    our small group will be tenting and hammocking( prob just me)
    I've been told that hammock spots are fairly abundant on loch awe but less likely on loch etive.
    I don't want to cause others in the group a headache in finding a suitable site for my hammock when I could easily tent ( I prefer hammock)
    so,
    are hammock spots easily found on awe?
    are hammock spots easily found on etive?
    obviously there would need to be suitable tent spots in same site
    thanks
    andy
    nature is m X-box

Hammocking not a problem Andy, I'm sort of tempted with hanging but will probably just go tarp and bivi.
    The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

We had no problem finding hammocking spots on Loch Awe - see here.

As above Loch Awe would be no problem.

Etive wise, I can't remember seeing many blogs with trees by camps, and my own research has suggested it is much barer than the Awe islands. However, the map shows plenty of wooded shore on the northern loch. There's also the bothy at Cadderlie as an option. I would avoid camping at the top of the loch, its got a bit of a reputation for mess these days. I've looked at the Cadderlie or east of Dail areas on the west shore, and I know there's at least one blog of camping on the east shore but I can't find it.

Rubha Bharr, on Loch Etive, about 2km further into the loch is a fantastic campsite, though not particularly hammock friendly. You might get lucky near the edges as it is surrounded by trees.

See more in this blog... http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-to-Loch-Etive
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.