Thread: Southern Wales Rivers

Default Southern Wales Rivers

South Wales Whitewater

The Plan
    4 day trips ranging from grade I to grade III whitewater while staying at a central location. Just ideas at this point but thinking probably late April. Possibly camping at Digeddi or staying in a bunkhouse. People could join for as much or as little as they like.

I'm very open to suggestions, but was hoping to cover some river sections that are new to me. I'd love to run the Tywi but it appears to be blocked.

If people think late April is too late for these rivers please let me know as I don't have a good handle on this.

All very tentative at this point as I'm not sure I can secure the time off, but I'll try and make it happen if there are people up for this.

As anyone who has paddled with me probably knows, this would definitely be a self-supported trip.

Day 1: River Lugg.

Meet at Lugg Bridge at 10am and shuttle to Mordiford.
    day paddle, mainly grade I but with potential blockages and strainers.

Day 2: River Wye.

Meet at Builth Wells at 9am and shuttle to Boughrood. Full days paddle, 12 miles of grade II plus a couple of grade III rapids that need inspecting including Hell Hole.

Day 3: River Usk.

Meet at Brecon at 10am and shuttle to Llangynidr. Full days paddle, 10 miles of grade I -II plus a grade III.

Day 4: River Usk.

Meet at Sennybridge at 9am and shuttle to Aberbran. 5.2 miles or days paddle but includes 3 ledge drops. Could be extended to Brecon (extra 4 miles but needs good levels, grade II run and read, big and bouncy).

Any interest?
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Hey. Will keep an eye on this, may be able to join for some part, depending on dates.

Levels may be an issue by April , or they may not. You should also know that the Wye and Usk foundation consider that the Usk needs to be above the "red line at Brecon" to paddle after the beginning of March, and a similar thing on the Wye . This is the vestiges of a previous agreement I think, and you may have no issues, but you may get folk shouting at you. I'm not sure what the latest Canoe Wales advice is on this, worth checking as the gets outs at have mostly been previously negotiated on private land, and are actually pretty good and useful, so sensitivity by paddlers is required.

Day 3. Getting out at Llangynidr is not easy, nowhere to stop a car on a narrow lane/bridge. Better to do Talybont to Crickhowell, though this does add in a potentially nasty II just below, and Spuhler's Folly, a III further on.

Day 4. I wouldn't describe the section below Aberbran as big and bouncy, more rock dodgy grade II in normal levels. Ledge drops below Sennybridge are always fun. My success rate is around 65%!

Tywi unlikely to have enough water by then and as you say, the recent blockages make it a very awkward, and potentially lethal, paddle.

Monnow may be worth considering, again subject to levels.

I suspect you may be a little late in the season to really enjoy these rivers though.

i, too will watch this. Done all your choices at sometime or other, and mentioned to another paddler that it was ages since I'd been on the Usk only last week

Impcanoe

I want to keep in the loop with this as Brecon is a family meeting point for the near future
    nature is m X-box

If you really want to get out at Llangynidr you can park your car up the hill and carry your boat to it. It's not so very far. There is even a little bit of parking next to the canal.

Below Aberbran is simple grade 1-2 not 'big'

I'm interested to do a couple of days depending on dates and the final choice.

Garth

Thanks for all the advice and interest. It's starting to look unlikely that I can pull this together.

If I can find some time in April I'll update here.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!