Thread: A little self-promotion

Default A little self-promotion

Hey folks,

Well, after bouncing it off John, I thought I'd sneak in a little bit of self-promotion.

Wilderness is a State of Mind

As some of you already know, I've been building a website, basically as a hub for my photographs and the increasing amount of writing I'm doing. This isn't just about paddling, in fact one of the main themes will hopefully about the variety of adventures we can have in our own backyard as well as further afield. Inevitably there's lots of canoeing content though!

The intention is also to have a regular blog. Starting off, its mostly a "hub" linking other articles and images. Have a look here if you're interested:

https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/

and on social media if you do that sort of thing;

https://www.facebook.com/wildernessmind/

Don't worry, there is no intention to reduce the SOTP blogging and content!

Its early days, so any feedback is very welcome!

Articles

Gorges du Tarn in the Paddler mag

I've also just had a new article published in the Paddler about the Gorges du Tarn. The mag is now affiliated to the CE through Canoe Focus content for members.

https://view.joomag.com/the-paddler-...265/p138?short

Ceufad; Canoe Wales' mag

Last autumn Canoe Wales published my SOTP Wye? Because article, but I've only just got hold of a copy thanks to forgetting I'd given them the OK!

https://issuu.com/ceufad/docs/ceufad_september_2017

Hope you enjoy reading them, there are some familiar faces there!

If there are any specific angles or hints and tips you think it would be worth going with, do let me know, its all new to me. Just back from a week in the Highlands, but walking not paddling, so will be editing photos and blogging about that soon. First, though, its sunny so I'm off for a paddle...

I really hope the new venture works out well Mal, I'm sure it will! We've all enjoyed the superb blogs and pictures over the years so a little self promotion is more than deserved I think.

Congratulations on the new venture, Mal. I'm going back to follow those links now!
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Good luck with your new website. It looks very professional. I'm looking forward to having a proper read of it!
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Good Luck. You obviously put an more effort into life than a lot of folk Mal! (and you obviously reap the rewards as we see by your popular family blogs).
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by elveys View Post
    I really hope the new venture works out well Mal, I'm sure it will! We've all enjoyed the superb blogs and pictures over the years so a little self promotion is more than deserved I think.
    Thank you mate

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    Congratulations on the new venture, Mal. I'm going back to follow those links now!
    Cheers, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by broadsman View Post
    Good luck with your new website. It looks very professional. I'm looking forward to having a proper read of it!
    Thanks Rob. Was a lengthy task to set it up, which I suspect will never actually be finished, but the Wix framework is pretty intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post
    Good Luck. You obviously put an more effort into life than a lot of folk Mal! (and you obviously reap the rewards as we see by your popular family blogs).
    Thanks David, its not much effort when its that much fun! Having the time is my main good fortune.

Good to see you doing what you love. Hope the website is a success.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Good to see you doing what you love. Hope the website is a success.
    Cheers Wayne!

Nice look and feel to your website Mal and the content is top drawer - well done so far - looking forward to seeing more.
    Last edited by Bisbrooke Hippo; 8th-March-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Pressed the wrong button

Thanks Ian

Excellent website Mal - great images.

I enjoyed looking at the website Mal and being reminded of your great photographs.
    I hope it is successful for you.
    Graham

Mal, you've suffered from identity theft, there is a guy claiming to be you but he's a dead ringer for Dris Furby

Absolutely brill, well done.

Mike.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

A grand adventure!!
    Trevor Paetkau
    Ashes Still Water Boats
    Canoe Plans | Custom Boats

Stunning pictures and a very well put together website and very captivating writing . Good luck with this new venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Excellent website Mal - great images.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdd View Post
    I enjoyed looking at the website Mal and being reminded of your great photographs.
    I hope it is successful for you.
    Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Mal, you've suffered from identity theft, there is a guy claiming to be you but he's a dead ringer for Dris Furby

Absolutely brill, well done.

Mike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpaetkau View Post
    A grand adventure!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    Stunning pictures and a very well put together website and very captivating writing . Good luck with this new venture.

Thanks folks.

Whilst its a long way from being a way of earning money, its a start, and a visible portfolio. Now need to make sure I don't let it slip, and keep adding new content on a regular basis. Fortunately, I also enjoy it, which is very much also the point!

I saw this on your signature line last week and had a look then. I know you have been planning it for a while so it's good to see it for real now. Looking good so far.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    I saw this on your signature line last week and had a look then. I know you have been planning it for a while so it's good to see it for real now. Looking good so far.
    Cheers Rob.

Latest blog is not a paddling one, but on a walking trip to the wild and remote Uags bothy, Applecross;

https://www.wildernessisastateofmind...-at-uags-bothy

Really impressive website you've got there. Well done!
    I've still got my fingers crossed though that you'll publish a big glossy coffee table book.
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    RhŰne que nous. '

Quote Originally Posted by River Rother Rover View Post
    Really impressive website you've got there. Well done!
    I've still got my fingers crossed though that you'll publish a big glossy coffee table book.
    Hah, some way off Andrew, as the only way to get that sort of thing seems to be to pay for it upfront yourself...

Does no harm to build a portfolio to help sell future proposals though...

Thanks for the comment.

A great website Mal that Iíve returned to a few times. I canít think of anyone on SotP more deserving of some self promotion.
    Maybe some branded T-shirts, or mugs or keyfobs to help with running costs?
    What do I know? Just realised we donít even own a coffee table for your new book to reside on!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Very nice Mal, I've resisted temptation to delve too deep because I've got stuff to do and I know I'll get lost for a few hours in your excellent stories and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    A great website Mal that I’ve returned to a few times. I can’t think of anyone on SotP more deserving of some self promotion.
    Maybe some branded T-shirts, or mugs or keyfobs to help with running costs?
    What do I know? Just realised we don’t even own a coffee table for your new book to reside on!
    Cheers, Dick. I've got as far as printing business cards for now! Not sure I can see a market for t-shirts with my face on saying "I've read a blog by Mal?"

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Very nice Mal, I've resisted temptation to delve too deep because I've got stuff to do and I know I'll get lost for a few hours in your excellent stories and pictures.
    Thanks Col.
    Last edited by Mal Grey; 15th-March-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Question:

How is the loading speed of the site for folk? I ask because on my mobile, it seems slow sometimes, even with good signal or wifi. I've also had some feedback from someone to say its sometimes tardy. Would be useful to know how others experience is, and what device/browser they're using.

Cheers

Mal

p.s Winter Walking in Scotland is the latest blog entry: https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/blog. Don't worry, there will be more paddling content soon enough!

Seems fine to me on my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Weekender View Post
    Seems fine to me on my iPhone

Thanks mate

No problems on android tablet or tellingbone

Great. I'm thinking of getting T shirts "I've been paddling with Mal and he takes better photos than me"

Good luck with the venture

Only just found this thread and so glad I did.

A brilliant web site your putting together there Mal. Added the link to my favourites bar.
    You deserve to do well mate, your always ready help and inspire folk on here
    and I know your own website will continue that trend.
    All the best Terry

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Good luck with the site.

Looks really good and professional.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Don't know how I missed this thread
    All the best Mal, if it reaches the same high standard as your bloggs it will be a huge success!
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

So, I've managed to get a few other things written recently.

The main thing is a new article in The Paddler magazine, on the joy of paddling close to home and how it takes you away from it all so quickly. It can be read, along with the rest of the mag, here: https://joom.ag/jYnY/p46 I'll link it to my site when I get a chance, but life's a bit complex right now!

There are also a couple of new blog pages up, but as these include a little about the Easter trip I'll wait until the full Pirate Blog is live...any day now.

Thanks for all the kind words and the support.

Mal

That's saved me mentioning it ...... Good article, much appreciated.

For those that dislike "ezines" as I do (not so easy to read on the loo, or dip in and out thereof...... the magazine, that is!), the Paddler is available in print as a lush magazine (smells nice... the magazine, not the loo!! -you don't get that on line!!), covering a wide spectrum, with some excellent photography. Well produced, but a trifle chaotically edited?

PS Mals piece sums up gentle inland canoeing beautifully with some stunning photos........... More please!
    Last edited by laurence milton; 2nd-May-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    T
    PS Mals piece sums up gentle inland canoeing beautifully with some stunning photos........... More please!
    Especially the pic of Pete and me

Alas I wouldn't know who is whom, but undoubtedly you will be correct!!!

I can name and shame for a small fee. Or keep quiet, for a small fee.

Thanks Lawrence. There's a little more content in the online one normally, Pete sometimes has to reduce the no of images in the printed version to hit the right page count. The other thing with the online is that it allows direct links to info, web pages, videos etc, which is useful, but overall I agree, its nice to have a "real" copy. Fortunately, they've sent me one!

Been a bit quiet on the blog front recently, and no magazine articles, but if you're interested in a non-paddling story, we were in wildest Wales last weekend;

The Rhinogydd - heather, holes, hills and high camps

Otherwise, work has got in the way a bit, but I have some ideas for new articles once I find time to do them!

Last paddling article was on the Gorges du Tarn, a blog of which I posted on here anyway.

That's just beautiful...thank you! (Left a comment on the site)
    Another little overnighter on Tues down my local river is not the same thing!

That's just beautiful...thank you! (Left a comment on the site)
    Another little overnighter on Tues down my local river is not the same thing!
    Thanks Laurence. I'd argue that a stolen local overnighter squeezed between work and home commitments, is just as valuable as the planned weekends away.

It seems I have now "reached the maximum amount of comments allowed in the Free version". Hmm. I do pay for my site, but not specifically extra for the blog bit. They always suck you in, don't they! Thanks for the kind words.

oooer...my well thought, constructed, erudite reply has...............gorn!!

Attempt two-ish:

I'm now retired, so I'm stealing between lots of other stuff but not paid employment anymore. But it was actually discussed amongst several on this forum, so hardly stolen really

Whether planned away or stolen, your photographs are beautiful, and really capture the place and the mood. I couldn't do anything like that whilst paddling!!

I left the comment there because that was what was asked after reading the blog: not really a follower of "Blog Sites" per se, I had not, nor have, any idea of how they operate?

oooer...my well thought, constructed, erudite reply has...............gorn!!

Attempt two-ish:

I'm now retired, so I'm stealing between lots of other stuff but not paid employment anymore. But it was actually discussed amongst several on this forum, so hardly stolen really

Whether planned away or stolen, your photographs are beautiful, and really capture the place and the mood. I couldn't do anything like that whilst paddling!!

I left the comment there because that was what was asked after reading the blog: not really a follower of "Blog Sites" per se, I had not, nor have, any idea of how they operate?
    I can still see you comment, thanks.

I still have little idea about how best to operate a blog site. It seems to be a law unto itself occasionally, but overall is easy to use. However, I have started bumping up against carefully judged limits, which want to tempt me into spending more money...

Appreciate the interest mate, thanks.

There was an addendum to that post which has been lost in the edit.....

I do try and see if there is anything from you in the magazine "The Paddler", hard copy, though!

There was an addendum to that post which has been lost in the edit.....

I do try and see if there is anything from you in the magazine "The Paddler", hard copy, though!
    THanks (again!). Not had anythign in since July, but will do again at some point! The creative cupboard is a little bare, thanks to a lack of big trips this year.