Thread: A couple of self build questions

Default A couple of self build questions

I am considering a self build probably for next winter I have built model boats and planes for years the theory is the same just scaled up. I would love to build a cedar strip prospector does anyone have a ball park figure of what one would cost to build?. My other option is a stitch and glue but I'm not sure I'm keen on the Chines but I'm guessing it would be a cheaper build.

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Hi bbdave, a lot depends on what woodworking machinery you have available. If you can prepare your own strips then it is all down to the cost of the timber, about 150 for western red cedar, another 50 for the ash trim, seats etc. Glass and resin will set you back about 100, with paint and varnish about 30. Plans will set you back 75 pounds or so.
    You will need to build a strong back and frames, I have frames for a Bear Mountain Chestnut Bob Special.
    That totals to about 400 ish plus 30 for the strongback and frames A lot more if you buy pre- prepared strips. Materials can be cheaper if you can re-cycle, my first canoe was largely built from a cedar conservatory. All I bought was a plank of ash for the gunnels.
    Good luck with the build.

Thanks i would have to buy ready made strips I think, I have made gunwales before but don't think I could machine all the strips. I have seen them for sale but no idea how many I would need for a canoe.

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

If you haven't found him already, Jason Eke, of YouTube fame, has a brilliant series on constructing cedar strip canoes. Makes me want to do it one day.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

I’ve just about finished a cedar strip, using Gill Gilpatrick’s book and Wabanaki design. I’m afraid I’ve not kept count of the cost, but I would say it came to closer to 1,000. The most expensive bits were the cedar strips (pre cut), gunwales (again pre-cut), resin and fibreglass and wood for decks, yoke and seats. I also had to buy some tools which added to the cost.

It has however been a really rewarding project, and even my rather amateur attempt has turned out OK. So I’d definitely urge you to go ahead with it!

Tom

Hi Dave this was on offer earlier in the year, don't know if its still available. A fair price I think.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...trip-canoe-kit

good luck with what ever project you choose to build.

atb
    Terry

Selway fisher are now doing 7 plank (per side) prospector and peterbrough stitch and tape designs.

Possibly fills the gap between the two build techniques? The chines are barely noticeable with so many planks.

"I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."