Thread: River Nene - places to Park, Launch, Camp & Shuttle 2018

Default River Nene - places to Park, Launch, Camp & Shuttle 2018

I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked for advice on this subject and I've finally got around to doing something about it!

Friends of the River Nene was started by narrowboaters disillusioned with the lack of facilities on the Nene and they've acquired the use of some lovely moorings between Northampton & Peterborough with more in the pipeline.

They have been very welcoming to paddlers and asked me to put together a bit of a guide for members and non-members alike - after all, the information is in the public domain, it just needed finding & collating.

The advantage of becoming a member of FOTRN is that it then gives you access to their moorings and, subject to some common sense rules, the ability to camp on some but not all of them..............it is remarkable value for a tenner a year!

If you check out my blogs on the Nene you'll come across hammocking and tent based adventures on their Woodford and Peartree Farm moorings (also the venue for the annual Burns Night SotP gathering)

I've personally launched, parked or left a car at all the places in the parking & access list pretty recently so you should be OK this year but obviously things change. For 99% of the locations I've included a link to Google Street View so you know I'm writing about the place you're thinking of!

There are clues about where to wild camp on some of my blogs but most of the enquiries I've had have come from people wanting proper camp sites - I reckon that a combination of proper camp sites and FOTRN moorings should cater for a multi-day trip quite well.

Anyway, you can find these lists here www.friendsoftherivernene.co.uk/friendswithcanoes.html

Feel free to message me anyway - especially if you have additional parking/launching/camping info but also for anything you need to know about the Nene.

In these litigious times I have to point out that neither I nor FOTRN can take responsibility for any mishaps but I'd love to hear about all the good stuff!

As well as the information on these lists, you can check river levels on many sites but I use www.gaugemap.co.uk and research river works and any obstructions here https://www.northamptonmarina.co.uk/...works-calendar

All the best, Dick

A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

That looks like a great resource Dick, thanks for putting it together.
    I feel I may need to head south for a trip this year...

That looks great, apparently the folk at the white water centre will let park and launch from there, I also heard a while ago that they where clearing an area for a few tents, not sure if they have done so, might be worth checking

Great stuff Dick, which will, I'm sure, be useful to many visiting paddlers.

A great asset, many thanks for all your efforts putting it together and of course your blogs over the years showing what the Nene has to offer.

Of course, because, I'm a keen Patterdale Paddler blog reader, I'm under the impression that the Nene is only 6ft wide and full of trees and mud so I'm somewhat perplexed how all those narrow boats manage to get down it!
    Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 25272527 View Post
    Of course, because, I'm a keen Patterdale Paddler blog reader, I'm under the impression that the Nene is only 6ft wide and full of trees and mud so I'm somewhat perplexed how all those narrow boats manage to get down it!
    They barge their way down it, of course