Thread: Conyer Creek - What a lovely surprise

Default Conyer Creek - What a lovely surprise

Today we enjoyed a very pleasant paddle on the Swale from Oare Harty Ferry to Conyer Creek. The weather forecast and tides suited a return trip to somewhere we hadn't paddled before. HW was at 2.20 (Sheerness) so we had a leisurely start at 11.30 and some nice gentle paddling up with the tide to Fowey Island. No seals today but plenty of birdlife which the area is renowned for.

Just after Fowey Island is the entrance to Conyer Creek which is only about 5km from our start point. We made our way up the winding creek and after a couple of bends some lovely old barges started to come into view. We stopped and chatted to several owners who live on their boats and who were pleasantly surprised to see canoes up their creek. What a lovely great spot! Lots of boats moored up and others in dry dock with owners getting them cleaned up and ready for the Spring. There was even a pub and a slipway. We found a nice spot for lunch and took our time while we waited for HW.

HW arrived and after another chat with a very friendly local we said farewell to the creek which had grown significantly wider and headed back down to the Swale. We had planned to head over and explore Dutchmans Islands on the Sheppey side but everything was much bigger at HW and by the time we'd have got over there the creek would have been emptying so we decided to head back and save that for another day. The outgoing tide takes an hour or so to get going after HW but we still managed to get some assistance as we made our way back down to Oare.

A really enjoyable trip and Conyers small boating community was a lovely surprise.

Fowey Island behind

Entrance to Conyer Creek

Exploring the creek

Lunchspot

Heading back out into the Swale

Looks good. I've seen that there were moorings "over there" when racing "Round the Isle of Sheppy". However, the last two times its been quite windy, and wind against tide which means the fastest route is also the roughest. If you are in one of the slower boats, with an earlier start, as I have been, its about on the other side of the little island guarding the entrance to the creek, that, whilst in the roughest bit, the faster boats start to catch up and overtake, and a bit further is where the tides meet, and so the fastest bit may suddenly change into the slowest bit. So, all told, a busy bit and I never had a lot of time to sight see. Thanks, therefore, to your excellent and interesting photos. Looks like a good paddle, but an even better destination for a cruising dinghy, and I have one.

Impcanoe

My home creek. Worked in the sail loft that was based in the marina there for 13 years. Kept my Mayland safari 21' in the marina so we used to slip off down the creek at lunchtime if there was enough water. Leave in the evening after work and anchor off Fowley in South Deep or Harry Ferry.
    Raced boats there. Happy days.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    My home creek. Worked in the sail loft that was based in the marina there for 13 years. Kept my Mayland safari 21' in the marina so we used to slip off down the creek at lunchtime if there was enough water. Leave in the evening after work and anchor off Fowley in South Deep or Harry Ferry.
    Raced boats there. Happy days.
    We only noticed the slipway as we were leaving at HW. Is it public and can you access at LW?

If you mean the one on the east bank in the middle of the new houses , no access now. Was HW only.
    When the marina owner on that side sold the land for housing they put up security gates across the entrance. Bit like moving next to an airport and complaining about aircraft.
    The owner of the marina at the head of the creek has a slipway and car parking. Don't know how much he would charge for canoes. Will ask him next time I am up there.

When I taught watersports as a youth over in Southend on the other side of the Thames estuary we would come over that way for day trips in sea kayaks or wayfarers. Lovely to be reminded of it all.

You're right, it is a lovely little creek and the boaty people are very friendly and chatty. You do have to make sure you've worked out the tides properly though because it's really only accessible around high tide. When I was last up there, I asked at the marina about using their slipway and was told that they might waive any fee for a canoe if you had lunch in the clubhouse.
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    Rhône que nous. '

Impcanoe I have a dinghy if you would like some company.

sorry for the thread hijack

The other potential advantage of the trip is there seems to be a pathway/walk all the way along from Oare to Conyer so others who might want to walk the route can and meet up along the way.

great to see the trip review. now i live in Teynham, i'm right next door to Conyer and walked over to have a look for canoeing.
    i had a look at the club house at the marina, a sign said something about 'members only' or something like that.

Really lovely trip. Great weather and really interesting in Conyer Creek itself. Super calm and nice to paddle. Must go back.

Some more piccies...

Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Nice one chaps. Looks like a nice peaceful place....on a calm day!

Matt, interesting to see the mixed avocets and curlews flock.

Cracking trip with some nice photos......I started out in sea kayaks on the other side of the Thames estuary many moons ago.

Exploring the creeks was always fraught with the danger that you’d misread the tides....a long, cold and lonely wait for it to return!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by elveys View Post
    The other potential advantage of the trip is there seems to be a pathway/walk all the way along from Oare to Conyer so others who might want to walk the route can and meet up along the way.
    I think that's the Saxon Shore Way and as such should be very well signposted.

And, Matto, I love your picture of the avocets with a few curlews muscling in on the party. (I hope my ornithological skills are right (upturned bills for the avocets and downturned bills for the curlews)).
    Andrew (R.R.R.)

' Pas de leur
    Rhône que nous. '

Few redshanks in there as well. Great to see so many avocets in Kent now, they are beautiful birds. You never saw them when I were a lad.

I assume that if a curlew flies upside down they will magically become an avocet.