Thread: Grasmere & Rydal access

Default Grasmere & Rydal access

Does anyone know what the current situation is with regard to canoe access to Grasmere and Rydal? I have found a document from 2013 stating canoes and swimming are allowed, but there is no published access map like there is for the larger lakes?
    I have emailed the National trust who have forwarded my inquiry to Allan Bank to answer, but they’re taking a while.
    We were hoping to park at pelter bridge and walk up to the beach area of Rydal for a paddle. I know it’s only a small lake but it would be fun.
    Grasmere could be more tricky as I can’t think of somewhere to park and access the lake? If we’re allowed.

this is the 2013 doc http://www.ntlakesoutdoors.org.uk/up...s_to_Water.pdf

I have launched from the river at the top end, via White Moss Car Park. Twice, both before 2013 and I believed at the time it might not be officially OK. First time a ranger sort in the car park was quite happy, though. Walk from car park to river, just below shallow rocky bit. Launch about GR349064, i,e, here.

I had no idea I "needed" a permit for Buttermere/Crummock. Sadly it was too windy anyway...

My understanding was that there's no access to put on - here's an old thread with some background http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...03-Rydal-Water

Quote Originally Posted by Nixtoo View Post
    Does anyone know what the current situation is with regard to canoe access to Grasmere and Rydal? I have found a document from 2013 stating canoes and swimming are allowed, but there is no published access map like there is for the larger lakes?
    I have emailed the National trust who have forwarded my inquiry to Allan Bank to answer, but they’re taking a while.
    We were hoping to park at pelter bridge and walk up to the beach area of Rydal for a paddle. I know it’s only a small lake but it would be fun.
    Grasmere could be more tricky as I can’t think of somewhere to park and access the lake? If we’re allowed.

this is the 2013 doc http://www.ntlakesoutdoors.org.uk/up...s_to_Water.pdf

Do as mal said for Rydal. For Grasmere park in this layby and access through the woods - super easy (once you've negotiate the road...)

https://binged.it/2BYGL5A

For a small charge, and a decent brew/cake you can try here also: https://binged.it/2BXQeK9

Quote Originally Posted by mattT View Post
    Do as mal said for Rydal. For Grasmere park in this layby and access through the woods - super easy (once you've negotiate the road...)

https://binged.it/2BYGL5A

For a small charge, and a decent brew/cake you can try here also: https://binged.it/2BXQeK9
    is that fairy land? Are you allowed to arrive by boat, I know they rent row boats there
    Last edited by Nixtoo; 14th-February-2018 at 09:07 PM.

My understanding is that Grasmere is OK. Rydal you aren't allowed to launch on, which is technically different to paddling through if you launch on the river or Grasmere. As mentioned about the fairy place will allow launching for a fee last the I checked otherwise there's a lay-by.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Just had a google and found this PDF from Lake District

Apparently you can canoe of Grasmere (no access to island) but not Rydal Water.

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Just had a google and found this PDF from Lake District

Apparently you can canoe of Grasmere (no access to island) but not Rydal Water.
    Weird. So there are two contradictory but almost identical documents floating around out there, both dated January 2013! Wonder which is officially correct: I'll go with the landowners!

National Trust website The land owners = access

Lake District website The National Park = no access

Good fun. Just paddle it, quietly and respectfully, as we did.

is that fairy land? Are you allowed to arrive by boat, I know they rent row boats there
    Yes Fairyland, been a while since I was there, we used to use it for work to access the lake. I personally think the layby option is a lot easier, if you can get into the layby...

The Rothay river is a nice paddle in spate conditions - Class II/III-. Not worth doing otherwise as it would be an interminable scrape...

You would need to be very comfortable in negotiating a narrow, fast and sweeper lined flow though. The hardest sections are first corner after the outflow from Grasmere, small section just after the outflow from Rydal and the 'Graveyard' just above the Loughrigg Fell road (also not long after Rydal). From there down to Windermere is pretty straightforward, there are stepping stones to be aware of at one point (in low/medium water) and there is a weir opposite a Hotel just above the turnoff to other end of Loughrigg Fell road from the Clappersgate /Langdale road.

Hmm, not sure quite ready for the river, we’re not that experienced. Although the idea of paddling down to Windermere is quite compelling. I wonder if we could put in at pelter bridge (where the underloughrigg road joins the river. How tricky is the weir after rothay Park? I might have a look from the road next time I pass. The stepping stones went in the flooding a couple of years ago so probably less of an issue now. I was surprised they weren’t replaced.

Ive watched people starting at clappersgate and wondered how challenging that would be. The river usually looks too low or too fast!

Hmm, not sure quite ready for the river, we’re not that experienced. Although the idea of paddling down to Windermere is quite compelling. I wonder if we could put in at pelter bridge (where the underloughrigg road joins the river. How tricky is the weir after rothay Park? I might have a look from the road next time I pass. The stepping stones went in the flooding a couple of years ago so probably less of an issue now. I was surprised they weren’t replaced.

Ive watched people starting at clappersgate and wondered how challenging that would be. The river usually looks too low or too fast!

Access/Egress at Pelter Bridge could be hit n miss - the folks in the house opposite used to be quite hostile - we carried on regardless at the time, usually just sending them a polite wave... Trees the whole length of the Rothay are the BIGGEST issue. The weir above Rothay Bridge is straightforward generally. You can always pull into the Hotel parking and have a quick look over the wall.

Clappersgate on the Brathay down to Windermere is a piece of p (cake).

Access/Egress at Pelter Bridge could be hit n miss - the folks in the house opposite used to be quite hostile - we carried on regardless at the time, usually just sending them a polite wave... Trees the whole length of the Rothay are the BIGGEST issue. The weir above Rothay Bridge is straightforward generally. You can always pull into the Hotel parking and have a quick look over the wall.

Clappersgate on the Brathay down to Windermere is a piece of p (cake).
    Yeah, unfortunately when the Rothay is working, i.e. has enough water, it can be pretty hazardous thanks to those trees.

As Matt says, the Brathay from Clappersgate is just a simple flow. Immediately above the bridge is a short simple rapid (in normal levels) around an island, which can be a fun place for an introduction to moving water:

And this blog: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...267#post630267

Are those photos on the Brathay just before the clappersgate bridge? We have a holiday home at skelwith, so am looking forward to seeing the local area from a different perspective this year now we’ve got the Palava. Previously we’ve only been out in our sevylor tahiti on very calm lakes or in a hire canoe, which has limited locations!

Are those photos on the Brathay just before the clappersgate bridge? We have a holiday home at skelwith, so am looking forward to seeing the local area from a different perspective this year now we’ve got the Palava. Previously we’ve only been out in our sevylor tahiti on very calm lakes or in a hire canoe, which has limited locations!

Mal's snaps are of the Brathay directly under Clappersgate bridge. You could also explore from Skelwith down to Clappersgate - either get out at the little footbridge upstream of Brathay falls or directly above the falls on river R.

Yeah, they're the section immediately upstream of the bridge. You can drag your canoes back up on the other side of the island and run it as often as you want. Simple paddling, couple of eddy practice options.

You could also explore from Skelwith down to Clappersgate - either get out at the little footbridge upstream of Brathay falls or directly above the falls on river R.
    Slightly confused there Matt, do you mean Skelwith Force, which is on the bit from Elterwater to Skelwith Br? If so, spot on, above footbridge river L being the safer get out for less experienced folk, two big eddies river R above the falls themselves for braver ones. Portage is quite a distance, and there are boulder garden rapids just downstream too, which we had to line in low water.

Between Skelwith Bridge and Clappergate, there's a short fast easy rapids below Sk Br, then flat, lake-like water, then the G1(2) rapids down to Clappersgate. More in this blog: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...099#post478099

No I mean from Skelwith to Clappersgate as I said...

So to avoid the rapids is it the stone footbridge opp the church where you get out? If so there is a nice little beach there too so should be easily to get out. Then a short walk down the road to clappersgate. Would this be suitable for novices with a little experience?

No I mean from Skelwith to Clappersgate as I said...
    So, what are Brathay falls, don't remember any waterfalls just a simple series of rapids above Clappersgate? Is this known as Brathay Falls?

So to avoid the rapids is it the stone footbridge opp the church where you get out? If so there is a nice little beach there too so should be easily to get out. Then a short walk down the road to clappersgate. Would this be suitable for novices with a little experience?
    Very suitable. and yes the little arched bridge on the road to Skelwith Fold opposite side of the river to the main road.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    So, what are Brathay falls, don't remember any waterfalls just a simple series of rapids above Clappersgate? Is this known as Brathay Falls?
    Brathay Falls and Pool are located at Clappersgate. It is far from an easy Class I at levels that are worth paddling this stretch however. Guidebook is Class II/III, personally I would rate it at II-/II+.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixtoo

You can also access at the 'Muddy Layby' although this was a contested place the last time I was regularly using this stretch for Staff Training.

Brathay Falls and Pool are located at Clappersgate. It is far from an easy Class I at levels that are worth paddling this stretch however. Guidebook is Class II/III, personally I would rate it at II-/II+.
    Interesting. Just goes to show how different things can be in different conditions. I've only done it in low water, when it would have been perhaps G2 I guess. It does remind me I'd like to repeat Elterwater to Windermere at a better level.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

I've paddled on both Grasmere and Rydal Water, and in each case it was simply a matter of climbing over a fence to get access.

Blogs here.

Rydal:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...on-Rydal-Water

Gras:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...40358-Grasmere

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Thanks, both lakes look beautiful. I want to make sure we have official permission as my young son will be with me and he could easily be put off. I’m still waiting on Allan Bank, which suggests no one is really sure of the position!
    I cant see the harm of launching on Rydal from the South west beach, it’s so full of tourists playing in the water. As it’s an inflatable it should be possible to get it there.
    i might contact faeryland for Grasmere, there’s little free parking in Grasmere anywhere near the water. So a small charge would be ok.

Thanks, both lakes look beautiful. I want to make sure we have official permission as my young son will be with me and he could easily be put off. I’m still waiting on Allan Bank, which suggests no one is really sure of the position!
    I cant see the harm of launching on Rydal from the South west beach, it’s so full of tourists playing in the water. As it’s an inflatable it should be possible to get it there.
    i might contact faeryland for Grasmere, there’s little free parking in Grasmere anywhere near the water. So a small charge would be ok.
    I wouldn't hold my breath - it is usually best to beg forgiveness later!

Journal Entries

Faeryland is a new one on me.

Anyway, if they have rowing boats can't see the harm in using a canoe.

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Faeryland is a new one on me.
    Really? I thought you went away with them regularly....

Journal Entries

Good fun. Just paddle it, quietly and respectfully, as we did.
    You mean you weren't carrying 3 tonnes of wine as ballast, wearing pith helmets and dodgy uniforms, and singing poo songs??

Really? I thought you went away with them regularly....
    I do, but not on Grasmere.

Crow Trip Log