Thread: Strava Heatmap - where are people paddling?

Default Strava Heatmap - where are people paddling?

Came across this through Walkhighlands, after seeing a few news articles abouts its implications for security a few weeks back.

What I hadn't realised is that there is a "watersports" filter on the map. Switched to that, and its interesting to see where people are going on the water with Strava switched on.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6.6...4904/hot/water

You can clearly see the popular rivers: Spey, Wye, Severn, Tay etc, as well as canals like the K&A, showing up white as "hot spots". You can also spot events where hundreds of folk have used Strava, e.g. where possibly a swimming event has presumably been held at Blenheim Palace lake - unlikely place for a lot of paddlers!

I assume sailors also use this? If not, the Solent is the sea kayaking centre of the UK!

Another interesting thing is that it shows regular usage of some of the more contentious rivers from an access point of view. Nice to see a few people doing the Hampshire Avon for instance.

On the other hand, I was pleased to find that there are a (very) few places I've been in the last few years that Strava has yet to reach!

I do like maps.

Is this preserved for premium members now? I have been on the heat maps before but after reading your post went to have a look but could see heat maps in the premium area...

I like that feature. Itís initially possible Iím just doing it wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool link. Thanks for sharing!

Holy strawberries Batman, we're in a jam! Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    Is this preserved for premium members now? I have been on the heat maps before but after reading your post went to have a look but could see heat maps in the premium area...

I like that feature. It’s initially possible I’m just doing it wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not any sort of Strava member, so don't think that's the reason.

Thanks Mal, that's most interesting. I think sailing boats must be on it, as there are trips to the Isle of Man, etc, which doesn't get paddled very often, plus some of the tracks show signs of tacking against the wind. There's a puzzling patch of activity SE of Llangollen, on a wooded hill with no water - I think it's probably paddlers going orienteering or similar, and not switching sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    Thanks Mal, that's most interesting. I think sailing boats must be on it, as there are trips to the Isle of Man, etc, which doesn't get paddled very often, plus some of the tracks show signs of tacking against the wind. There's a puzzling patch of activity SE of Llangollen, on a wooded hill with no water - I think it's probably paddlers going orienteering or similar, and not switching sports.
    That one's actually really weird, looks like its been scribbled on rather than tracked, weird loops out over the fields. May be a mistake or something. Or somebody attached their tracker to a rabbit.

I'm sure about the sailing, spotted some tacking too. And folk have been across the North Sea and to Shetland. It'd be nice to think that some of the St Kilda tracks are sea kayaks.

A little bit off-topic but an interesting aspect to the Strava geatmap thing in that it seems Strava are giving away the locations of military bases in Syria, Somalia, Afghanistan andother sensitive places. Right down to the level of favoured buildings, supply routes into the bases, patrol routes around the bases, etc.

Problem (apparently) comes because when you start with the app you are automatically subscribed into their global heatmap functionality. You can "unsubscribe" but that can only bedone using the web interface. Even "enhanced privacy" does not stop your data being added to the global heatmap. So loads of keen fitness squaddies have been using the app andunknowingly submitting their data to the heatmap and "hotspots" are showing up where they are - in the military bases!

Info from a podcast from the BBC (not personal experience), item starts at 7:05 from start of program. You don't need iPlayer or anything as it is published in podcast/mp3 format and can be downloaded http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediasele...d/p05wxgk6.mp3 (It's a radio program and the link is to download anmp3 for the entire program; the series is called Tech Tent; the download is 11.2MB; "item" starts 7:05 mins into the program).

Ian
    Last edited by Psamathe; 14th-February-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Font

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I'm not any sort of Strava member, so don't think that's the reason.
    Must have been my phone. Looks lush!

thanks - I'm a bit of a cartophile too

there's a reservoir near me with a lot of activity, which appears to be open water swimming. seems like an odd thing to do to take a GPS swimming, but to each their own I suppose

Strava is a cycle, running, and swimming app aka Triathlon, so the chances are these are swimmers recording their activity and not necessarily boats.
    Last edited by Ditch Crawler; 15th-February-2018 at 06:23 PM.