Thread: Still looking - what about this?

Default Still looking - what about this?

Hi folks any thoughts on this one?
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/a...noe/1286625318

Seller says he thinks it's an apache tribe and it's 15ft 9.
    It mentions the wood work needing replaced,is that a doable diy job?
    What else should I look out for if viewing?
    Thanks v much

Hey.

To be honest, it looks pretty shabby. And as they can't even be bothered to take pictures good enough to see the canoe, I'd probably not, just strikes me as unlikely to be loved! Looks like you'd have to replace all the wood including seats, so you might as well have a new one and fit it out yourself, for not that much more money. Fitting it out requires some moderate woodworking skills, time, and especially space, plus access to a few tools.

Probably is an Apache, may or may not be a Tribe, the images are too poor for me to tell.

Act yeah cheers mal, sounds sensible advice

What do you reckon to this?

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/Mo.../m-m-5734.aspx

Says none in stock but they have 1 left. I thought it seemed an ok price ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post

Probably is an Apache, may or may not be a Tribe, the images are too poor for me to tell.
    Looks like an Apache 16 not a tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreb View Post
    Hi folks any thoughts on this one?
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/a...noe/1286625318

Seller says he thinks it's an apache tribe and it's 15ft 9.
    It mentions the wood work needing replaced,is that a doable diy job?
    What else should I look out for if viewing?
    Thanks v much
    Marcus is right, it's an Apache 16 and, awful pictures notwithstanding, the hull looks to be in sound condition. In any event, you can certainly replace the gunwales but if you're not keen on doing it with ash, then vinyl gunwales can be supplied with end decks. I fitted out my own 14 with these and it's very smart, not to mention being more durable for storage outside.

With two new seats, handles and yoke you're looking at about 500. A new kit of the same spec is 749. To have it fully finished would be 1,124.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Thanks Mark - is fitting vinyl gunwales tricky? The material wouldn't bother me, I'd just do whatever would be easiest

What do you mean when you say 'fully finished'?
    Thanks

Fitting vinyl gunwales is very straightforward. You will need a drill and rivet gun and that's it. Let's put it this way, fitting out a boat with Vinyl gunwales takes 1-2 hours at the workshop. Ash gunwales take a day and a half.

For me, the vinyl gunwales took an afternoon and the rest of the fitout a few hours, but I do faff a bit.

Fully finished means a boat with gunwales, end decks, handles, seats and yoke all fitted at the workshop. This leaves the fitting of buoyancy bags and any lacing etc you might like to add.

So at 500 including the bits I need it seems a reasonable deal? Is the apache 16 a suitable canoe for a beginner/touring?
    thanks

The Apache 16 is fine for two and is lighter than the Polyethylene boats you've been looking at. It will also feel a little more lively than some others but you will get used to it and then you can enjoy the speed!

Apache's are regularly used by people on here to do multi-day trips on big Scottish rivers like the Spey, so yes to touring. Fibreglass mat construction is tougher than people expect and in the event of damage can be repaired very easily.

Given the obvious problems with the woodwork, I'd be tempted to make a cheeky offer.

JimW on this forum bought his secondhand and had to replace the gunwales too. Pete Starr also has one and has used it on some properly bony rivers. I know because I was with him in my 14!

Hi folks viewed the canoe today
    Anyone know how to upload photos? I can't see anywhere to add them?
    Thanks

Hi folks viewed the canoe today
    Anyone know how to upload photos? I can't see anywhere to add them?
    Thanks
    See here, but don't use photobucket these days, use Flickr or similar.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...s-on-the-Forum

Oh dear, will take me all night just to read that.

I'll try and have a go at some point !
    Thanks !

Folks would anyone be good enough to look at the photos I took if I was to email them ?
    It's just that the uploading photo thing seems a bit of a mission!
    If anyone can let me know
    Thanks

Folks would anyone be good enough to look at the photos I took if I was to email them ?
    It's just that the uploading photo thing seems a bit of a mission!
    If anyone can let me know
    Thanks
    Try using www.postimage.org
    Doesn't take long to register and upload a photo. Copy and paste the link to a reply.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Photos checked

Looks to me like its been in an "incident" looking at the state of the boat; broken seats and the gunnels look like they have been ripped off. I have to wonder what condition the hull is in.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Hi Tim I think the seats are broken because they are rotten and the gunwales are coming of because they are rotten too

Thanks

The square ends indicate it is a 16 not a Tribe.
    I think I paid 270 for mine looking slightly better, but actually the woodwork was just as rotten and needed replacing fairly soon (I tried replacing bits but it turned out to be insufficient).
    250 is pretty fair - I haven't checked the new website but a hull only used to cost more than that, but you might be able to haggle.
    If I had space for more boats I would be tempted to buy that, refit it and sell it on - Apaches are popular, good S/H ones used to sell for more than new, although Stu has finally had to raise his prices.

If you have reasonable woodwork skills you can either buy a complete wood kit from Apache (I would factor in a trip to the Wirral to pick it up and figure some way to safely carry the gunwales), or Fyne boats (in Cumbria, not Argyll) sell gunwale kits supplied in 8' lengths with the scarphs pre-cut in Ash, Oak or Sapele. I used a Fyne Ash gunwales for mine (actually ordered Sapele thinking about colour combinations but they sent Ash by mistake but are same price so I decided to keep them), but I was able to re-use my seats and yoke. My deck plates are Beech (from B&Q I think) and new handles are from Downcreek paddles (prefer the style over Apache ones). I would suggest buying seats from Apache, they are better built than others I've seen close up (I haven't seen Downcreek seats, but their Yokes look amazing!) and cheaper. New seat bolts came from Downcreek, the actual wooden parts of the hangers I turned myself from the gunwale offcuts to create a unique feature

If you don't like woodwork, Vinyl would probably be the way to go, and I know Stu can supply them ready to fit. I would still suggest using the wooden Apache seats, they are good value for money!

Am I right in thinking you are Glasgow based? if you want to meet up and have a look at my 16 as a comparison send me a PM and I'll work out when I'm free.
    Might be worth trying it also - Apache 16 is a great paddlers boat, a few beginners find them a little twitchy and will prefer something that handles like a pig but feels less lively. I like a lively feeling boat, the 16 is much more stable than anything else I paddle, but not dead feeling like some boats so in the interest of full disclosure, I think they are great and will suit most beginners, but a few won't get on with them.

How hard can it be?