Thread: How do I add pictures with Flickr

Default How do I add pictures with Flickr

I have tried adding pictures but I just get the broken image icon. Does anyone know how it's done with Flickr?.

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

from our resident expert Mal:

Basically, though, you go to your image, once open some symbols appear bottom right, click on the right-pointing arrow "Share photo" and a pop up box opens. From the 4 options along the top, pick BBcode. THis brings up a URL code. Choose a sensible size (which will remain defaulted, I use Medium around 800 x 500. Ctrl C to copy link. Go straight to your blog, Ctrl V to paste. That's it, though tidying up the code will remove the additional text it puts next to the image

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    from our resident expert Mal:

Basically, though, you go to your image, once open some symbols appear bottom right, click on the right-pointing arrow "Share photo" and a pop up box opens. From the 4 options along the top, pick BBcode. THis brings up a URL code. Choose a sensible size (which will remain defaulted, I use Medium around 800 x 500. Ctrl C to copy link. Go straight to your blog, Ctrl V to paste. That's it, though tidying up the code will remove the additional text it puts next to the image
    What he said, cos I said it

The "tidying" bit refers to the fact that Flickr puts on a title and author of the image as a default. If you remove everything after the first [/img][/url] closing brackets, you should just get the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    What he said, cos I said it

The "tidying" bit refers to the fact that Flickr puts on a title and author of the image as a default. If you remove everything after the first [/img][/url] closing brackets, you should just get the image.
    Oh can this only be done from a PC/laptop? I only have a mobile for internet access I just used the url from the share option.

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Hmm, see your struggle. Tried entering it having copied url from Flickr app, and using Insert Image on here, but gives invalid file.

I've only ever done it on PC/laptop. Will have a quick play...

Failed! I tried using the Flickr website rather than the app, but it won't let me lift the address from the top, only via sharing, which ends up with the same as on the App.

Sorry, will have to await experts!

Failed! I tried using the Flickr website rather than the app, but it won't let me lift the address from the top, only via sharing, which ends up with the same as on the App.
    Can you normally do it from the app? That's what I'm trying.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bbDave View Post
    Can you normally do it from the app? That's what I'm trying.

Dave
    No, only ever use the laptop & Flickr website.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/139950807@N04/7wD446

just trying something, bear with me
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/139950807@N04/7wD446

just trying something, bear with me
    Okay, that didn't work
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Thanks for trying guys, I'll have to leave posting pictures I guess.

Dave

I gave up trying to use the app and anything else on iOS for posting here a while back. Just won't work as far as I can see so I fell back to PC
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

The Tapatalk app works really well for posting pictures from phones and tablets. No need for any third party picture hosting either as Tapatalk handles it all. In fact it works so well that I actually use my phone to browse forums all the time now, even when I'm in front of a PC.
    Random picture added just because it's easy to do

Last edited by John K; 10th-February-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Nice pic - where is it?

Also do you mean that Tapatalk hosts the pic i.e. you don't need a hosting site such as flickr etc?

Yes, when you add a photo to a post using Tapatalk it is then hosted on their servers. There's obviously no guarantee that they'll be around forever, but as they're all about forums I think it's unlikely they'd pull any silly stunts like a certain photo hosting site.

Photo is at Stoke Gabriel on the Dart estuary between Dartmouth and Totnes.

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    Yes, when you add a photo to a post using Tapatalk it is then hosted on their servers. There's obviously no guarantee that they'll be around forever, but as they're all about forums I think it's unlikely they'd pull any silly stunts like a certain photo hosting site.

Photo is at Stoke Gabriel on the Dart estuary between Dartmouth and Totnes.
    Thanks

Why can't I just add an image from my own hard drive? Trying to post a pic of the canoe I built, but it seems to want a URL, which is a bit restrictive.
    rgds Tony

Journal Entries

Currently you need to have the picture hosted somewhere to link to. I agree it is restrictive but an unavoidable issue due to the hosting burden there would be of having all the full resolution pictures of all the bloggs etc on our server. I am trying to adresss this with upgrades that may allow adding images and them being resized and compressed by the forum software but that’s going to take some time.

OK, thanks - I'll put a file or two on DropBox and try again.
    rgds
    later: still doesn't work, with a URL to a DropBox image...
    Last edited by Piscator; 14th-February-2018 at 04:20 PM. Reason: fresh information

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    OK, thanks - I'll put a file or two on DropBox and try again.
    rgds
    later: still doesn't work, with a URL to a DropBox image...
    Hello and welcome. It doesn't work with DropBox. Photobucket used to be the best choice, but now Flickr is mine thanks to PB being robbing barstewards. Others use google images. The process is pretty simple and a Flickr account costs nothing.

Hello and welcome. It doesn't work with DropBox. Photobucket used to be the best choice, but now Flickr is mine thanks to PB being robbing barstewards. Others use google images. The process is pretty simple and a Flickr account costs nothing.
    Ohhhhh... Thanks. I'm finding this a bit weird! Can't upload from a HD, doesn't work with DropBox... I'm a professional photographer and I use DropBox quite a lot with clients, had the idea Flickr was something amateur and/or trivial. Do they try to appropriate one's copyright too? Might have heard that somewhere but really I know nothing of Flickr. I signed up here today because while Googling for an Old Town Pack I came across someone here listing one for sale - then found I couldn't message him until I'd made three forum posts and learned the secret handshake (no, I made up that bit). Meantime, I came across the thread with people's selfbuilt canoes, reminding me of my own, a project I was really proud of and would like to repeat some day, wanted to show it off. But this image business is so archaic and I've never encountered a recreational forum that makes it so awkward to post images! Think I'll abandon the attempts at image upload for now.
    rgds Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    Ohhhhh... Thanks. I'm finding this a bit weird! Can't upload from a HD, doesn't work with DropBox... I'm a professional photographer and I use DropBox quite a lot with clients, had the idea Flickr was something amateur and/or trivial. Do they try to appropriate one's copyright too? Might have heard that somewhere but really I know nothing of Flickr. I signed up here today because while Googling for an Old Town Pack I came across someone here listing one for sale - then found I couldn't message him until I'd made three forum posts and learned the secret handshake (no, I made up that bit). Meantime, I came across the thread with people's selfbuilt canoes, reminding me of my own, a project I was really proud of and would like to repeat some day, wanted to show it off. But this image business is so archaic and I've never encountered a recreational forum that makes it so awkward to post images! Think I'll abandon the attempts at image upload for now.
    rgds Tony
    I know its not perfect, but I find it really simple, and its easier than on some other sites I use, and others don't let you add images at all. If you PM me a link to your Dropbox I'll happily just stick a photo or two on my Flickr if you want, and send you a link back to post into SOTP.

As a reasonable amateur photographer, I find Flickr pretty good. I mostly use it to host my images for linking to blogs here and elsewhere, but I also think it displays quite well and is easy to navigate. I have my images set as All Rights Reserved, which is the default. You can allow more liberal use by others. What it doesn't do is stop people actually lifting my images and using them, it just means they shouldn't be doing so without permission! As a pro, I wouldn't suggest you use it for anything other than storage of less important stuff you're unlikely to sell in the future.

I know its not perfect, but I find it really simple, and its easier than on some other sites I use, and others don't let you add images at all. If you PM me a link to your Dropbox I'll happily just stick a photo or two on my Flickr if you want, and send you a link back to post into SOTP.

As a reasonable amateur photographer, I find Flickr pretty good. I mostly use it to host my images for linking to blogs here and elsewhere, but I also think it displays quite well and is easy to navigate. I have my images set as All Rights Reserved, which is the default. You can allow more liberal use by others. What it doesn't do is stop people actually lifting my images and using them, it just means they shouldn't be doing so without permission! As a pro, I wouldn't suggest you use it for anything other than storage of less important stuff you're unlikely to sell in the future.
    Mal, that's helpful, might give it a go when I have time later.
    rgds Tony

Thanks folks I have managed it using Tapatalk.

Dave

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk