Thread: Wanted- small sturdy grill for cooking on open fire

Default Wanted- small sturdy grill for cooking on open fire

Hello everyone... new here.. been biving out quite a bit and just after a small sturdy grill to cook over an open fire... anyone know where to get one ? Have one you don't need ? Or can point me in right direction. Thanks Jim (thinking 28cm ish by 15 ish)

Welcome to the forum

I'd suggest you go to someone who collects old cookers/fridges etc., Scrap man/ local tip etc., and ask them.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

i have this kind of thing, that also fits perfectly on top of my firebox. it's roughly the size you're looking for. found it in an army surplus shop and it was very cheap.
    david's idea of looking at a scrap metal place is also a good one.

If you're willing to pay, have a look on e-bay at this sort of thing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-BBQ-G...MAAOSwvR5aTnGX
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I use a US made 'Purcell Trench grill' which is excellent, super sturdy and weighs nothing much. Not sure how much it'd be to get one sent over here though.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Have look in B&m store if there's one near you. Sink protector strong enough to cut to size perhaps. If you don't mind the hole in the middle.
    Worth a look for £3.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/...otector-328780
    atb Terry

you must have posted as I was composing,
    just what I'm looking for smurf, cheers.

Thanks everyone - that's super helpful. Jim

I use an old oven grill which works very well.... but has anyone discovered a model of grill to use over an open fire that has it's own adjustable feet so you can easily adjust the height.

At present I use combinations of bricks, stones, logs that happen to be lying around but just wondered if anyone had come up with a better solution?

You could always use fire irons? (essentially 2 x lengths of angle iron to rest your pans on) Heavy - well yes, but as I carry them in my canoe not so much of an issue.
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Thank you for reminding me about fire irons Tim - they are something I have read about but then, for one reason or another, dismissed. They probably are the best solution.

Anywhere to buy them? Did you have them made or have you re-purposed something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Thank you for reminding me about fire irons Tim - they are something I have read about but then, for one reason or another, dismissed. They probably are the best solution.

Anywhere to buy them? Did you have them made or have you re-purposed something?
    Simply two pieces of angle iron, the ends were rounded off and holes drilled for a carabiner if needed. Cheap as chips
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

If anyone else is interested I got some from: https://www.austenknapman.co.uk/

Quick delivery... the angle iron was less than £3... but the postage was a tenner. Still overall I felt it was good value.