Thread: Hou 14 vs Apache 14 or something else

Default Hou 14 vs Apache 14 or something else

I'm looking for a new canoe and I think I have narrowed it down to either a hou 14 or Apache 14 (assuming they are still in business as the apache website has been down for a long time? )

My moon on a stick criteria is:
    - Suitable for tandem use with occasional solo outings
    - Flat water paddling (mostly canals but the occasional lake and calm river)
    - Needs to be under 30kg but the lighter the better
    - It will only be for day trips so doesn't need to be big, thinking around 14-15ft max due to space.
    - I don't really want to spend over 900ish but the cheaper the better (without a massive quality compromise )
    - Bonus points if it is available in more than red or green colour options

I know I am asking a lot, but if anyone can offer some opinions on the above mentioned canoes or something else that might be suitable it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Apache are definitely still in business and have a brand new website coming soon.Multimark will be along shortly I daresay to update on that.I'm a composites fan so I'd go with the 14 Apache.

I'd certainly talk to Stu at Apache, but maybe go for the apache 15 rather than the 14 if you'll be tandem most of the time. Unless you're both quite small, I don't think the 14 would be big enough, but Stu will give you solid advice and make sure the boat you buy is right for you. An alternative would be the Apache tribe - a bit bigger, but very well suited to tandem flat water trips.
    I have an Apache 15 which I almost always paddle solo, but plenty of people use them tandem too. Where are you based? If you're around S Yorkshire you'd be welcome to test paddle mine.

Or you could build one if you have time available. The materials for a stitch and tape ply boat would come in way below your budget and there are some very nice designs out there.

I built my Peterbrough 15 on a course with overwater boats. I paid 1000 which covered all the materials (which were of highest spec. marine ply and West systems epoxy) and the use of a fully equipped workshop along with an experienced mentor/instructor on hand for 7 days. It is a delight to paddle on the lakes both solo and tandem. Weighed in at 24kg.

It's a very rewarding thing to do.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Apache are definitely still in business and have a brand new website coming soon.Multimark will be along shortly I daresay to update on that.I'm a composites fan so I'd go with the 14 Apache.
    Hi there, thanks to Marcus for the intro

Apache is still alive and kicking and, as Marcus says, will have a shiny new website very soon. On your selection, I agree with Gordon, the Apache 15 is closer in character and length to the Hou 14 than the Apache 14 is. The Apache 14 would feel quite lively with two up and likes moving water better than the 15, having more arch and rocker in the hull.

I have both and you are welcome to try them if you want to meet somewhere within reach of Wirral.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Thanks for all your help.

Do you know roughly how heavy the 15ft apache is in standard layup?

We are both quite light, I doubt combined we weigh much over 100kg. In the past we got on alright paddling and old town pack tandem, which is what got me thinking a 14ft would be ok.
    Last edited by Rocky Road; 24th-January-2018 at 08:03 AM.

PM sent.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

I can definitely recommend the Apache 15, I bought one off Stu last year and I love it.
    I mainly use it solo but when my other half fancy a paddle it works well, I am 82 kg and
    she is 40 kg.
    I think it weighs around 30 kg and I can get it on and off my Discovery that has a 4" lift
    on my own, and they look smart and are well built.

Silverbirch have a new 14' solo(Ish) boat in development called the firefly, it sounds like it would fit your requirements nicely. And it should be available in plastic and composite constructions too
    Last edited by cr500dom; 31st-January-2018 at 02:59 PM.

fibreglass ( apache) everytime over plastic.
    for what you want it for glass wins out in every aspect
    nature is m X-box

Thanks for all the advise. I'm pretty much set on a 15, just can't decide on options/colour. Spoilt for choice!