Thread: Thirlmere: Zip Wire Accross the Lake

Angry Thirlmere: Zip Wire Accross the Lake

The "Thirlmere Activity Hub" has put in a planning application to run 8 zip wires across the lake, the links below take you to the Friends of the Lake District site and the planning application for more details. So up to 8 screaming persons could be flying above the lake spoiling the view and peace, what a NIGHTMARE scenario.

https://www.friendsofthelakedistrict...mere-zip-wires

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/swift...ID=7/2017/2298

I am not personally against these Zip wires in the correct location such as old quarries and out of sight valley's, but in my opinion this proposal is so intrusive it should not be allowed to go ahead. If you agree please write to the council to object to the application.

The local Parish council have stated they will fight it all the way.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Not really what I'd like to see at such a beautiful water, I will watch this with interest, thanks for posting. I have tried to gain access from Armboth car park on the last few occasions, to find the back rd where the carparks are was blocked at both ends. Don't know if this is still the case, can anyone shed any light on it?
    Hoping to paddle there soon, when (if) recent elbow surgery allows me the pleasure.
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

I've been following this via other websites. As above, there are places where I'd have no problem with this, but the impact in this beautiful peaceful place would not be acceptable to me.

I say peaceful, but its always blowing a hoolie when I go to the place, so I've never actually paddled it!

A large scale zip wire sounds like potential fun - and the whole area is stuffed rotten with tourists anyway - be hard to do appreciable damage.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    A large scale zip wire sounds like potential fun - and the whole area is stuffed rotten with tourists anyway - be hard to do appreciable damage.
    This is actually one of the quieter bits of the Lakes...despite the road going through the valley it gets far fewer tourists than some, and I wouldn't want to lose that peace. The ones in Wales are all in old quarry workings and the like. Honister was proposed for one, but rather than put it into a quarry area, I think it was going to come off the side of Fleetwith Pike, and therefore fell foul of despoiling a stunningly beautiful hill. I'll be honest in saying that I'd prefer Thirlmere than the likes of Eskdale/Wasdale/Ennerdale/Buttermere etc though. Grizedale or Whinlatter might make a more suitable location in my mind, plantation and on the fringes rather than in the middle, and already developed for mountain biking etc.

I'm not anti-zip wire, but we don't have many relatively undeveloped upland valleys in England, we need to look after them. (Yes, I get the point that its actually a reservoir, and mostly plantation) Surely there are enough old quarries in the Lakes/Pennines/Peak that would be suitable?

Mal, I agree it is one of the lesser used waters, I can't count the times I've paddled it, from mirror still to down right scary.
    Hope you get to paddle it soon.
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

I drove past there last week and didn't really get what all the fuss is about. It's already been heavily influenced by man and is not the best of places up there by any means.
    It was also interesting to talk to local businesses (B&B, shops, cafe) who all said if it attracts more people to the area then it can't be a bad thing.
    the biggest thing that worried them was seeing someone flying over the road if they were driving down it.
    Phil

I have paddled Thirlmere a few times, it is one of the less 'nice' lakes and I think that is partly because it is a reservoir. I am easy either way with the zip-wire, it won't really affect me but adding a very small element of man-made intrusion across an absolutely huge manmade intrusion seems difficult to object to. Can't we have the stream back which used to run down the valley?

Just ask the organisers to put up a "STRICTLY NO SCREAMING" sign

I'd surmise the main barrier to that getting planning is the Western access road. It can't handle the existing traffic.

Hard to complain about man made intrusions on a man-made lake. I wonder what the former residents of Wythburn would make of it all?
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

There's an interesting range of comments on this zip wire. I have been visiting the lakes for the last 45 years mainly walking and climbing so to me the attraction is the natural countryside. Attractions like this risk turning it in to a theme park, not a pleasant thought.

It seems that the RAF may have scuppered this application.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a61c9eb...365-269681.pdf

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post
    It seems that the RAF may have scuppered this application.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a61c9eb...365-269681.pdf

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Hadn't thought of that one, its one of their favourite valleys for tanking down just above your head!

Quote Originally Posted by rbm109 View Post
    Puts my suggestion that screaming and shouting would disturb the peace into perspective doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    .... to me the attraction is the natural countryside.
    Sadly - there isn't a square mile of "natural countryside" anywhere in England or Wales - leastwise not above the high water mark.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Sadly - there isn't a square mile of "natural countryside" anywhere in England or Wales - leastwise not above the high water mark.
    I take your point that most of the landscape we see today is influenced by man and animals, I suppose what I mean by "natural countryside" is what we have grown up to believe is natural. In North Wales there are still some ancient oak woodlands tucked away in the stream valleys that haven't changed for at least a 1000 years, they take a bit of finding but it's worth the effort.