Thread: French f1 tent opinions please.

Default French f1 tent opinions please.

I am looking for a budget tent to get me back into my canoeing and camping this year has anyone used one of these or have any guidance.
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Fr...-/122737533432

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Hi Dave,

I would think there were better options at similar prices. Single skin tents can suffer badly from condensation, and if I'm honest the low unsupported ridge design like that is very old fashioned, lacks space and stability, and is not particularly light. There is also no porch, and if its raining and blowing hard, its going to be difficult to get in and out without water getting inside.

I'd look at something like a more modern tunnel tent or dome. Go Outdoors have a few options, perhaps the Vango Nyx 200 would be an option, and is quite light. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but their Freedom Trail Lombok 250 may also be decent value.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

If you can find room for a disc 65cm in diameter, you'd get a Quechua 2 man popup for pretty much the same price. They have an inner and are remarkably robust. Weighs less than the one you're lookng at. I've had one for 4 years now and have used it in conditions it was never intended for. As a budget option, it's a good one. The only two downsides are a lack of porch and slightly unwieldy pack if it's to be carried any distance.

It ticks a lot of boxes for canoe camping being self supporting, midge proof, with a built in bathtub groundsheet and is blisteringly quick to errect and strike. It's quick enough to errect to even use as an emergency shelter if someone was properly cold because you'll have a wind and weatherproof structure you can get inside literally within 2 seconds. Undo a zip, release the safety strap and throw it in the air. It will land tent-shaped.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-second...d_8378283.html

If you get one, make sure you practice putting it away again following the youtube video before you go. It's relatively simple but in no way intuative.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Whilst I'm no prolific camper now, I definitely agree with what's been said already.
    I'd stay well clear of single skin tents unless they are cotton or poly/cotton.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Decathlon but Do practice putting it away. I've had to come home with mine in a figure of eight twice, but even then it fits in a wide boat. Used mine on the Thames source to tide, Wye, multi day trip,Wye weekend base, Central Massif on Tour with Slime, some of this was wet, some very hot.

There are lots of subtribes in SOTP. The basic division is whether you canoe to camp (need a bigger tent,.. and boat,.... and car) or camp to canoe (need no firebox..or wood.....or porch). Place your correspondent in the right tribe before you consider the advice.

Impcanoe

Thank guys I'll keep an eye out and see what comes up.

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I'm another Decathlon pop-up disciple. While other manufacturers now make them (and some do single-skin ones - avoid those for condensation is a problem), Decathlon were the original, and I still think the best.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Impcanoe View Post
    Place your correspondent in the right tribe before you consider the advice.
    I'm one of Peter's 'camp to canoe' tribe. I looked for the lightest tent I could find at a sensible price. I have a single person, single pole (hoop) Vango which is big enough for just me and I can sit up in it. It weighs 1.2kg and cost a little over 100. It's a bit like the Berghaus Peak 3.1 but I'm not sure they still make it.

How about something like this?

https://outdoormania.co.uk/yellowsto...gaAsfuEALw_wcB

Just remembered, I advertised a tent for sale on here last May which may fit your bill, it didn't sell so I still have it.
    Here's the link http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Tent-For-Sale

It has an inner sleeping compartment, so is double skinned in that area. It has a door at the front and another on the side.

There was only one picture of it which bloody Photobucket stole from me, but if you think you might be interested, I think I can send a picture via an e-mail

Just figured out how to post the pic - I think

[IMG]

Yep, yer tis
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 10th-January-2018 at 08:35 PM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

I'm firmly in both camps , to recent SotP Big Meets I've taken an immense (well it seems so to me) Vango Diablo for which we initially needed to recruit a small army of helpers to erect and dismantle in a safe manner ... with practice we can now do it fairly easily with just two, still better with more. It's purchase could have been an education, it was at a local auction and I bought it for 12 plus fees. Neither I nor anyone else was going to unpack it all to check it over before the auction so effectively "sight unseen", thankfully all pretty good, a couple of minor repairs and I've had well over 12 of use out of it.
    For quick lightweight overnighters I've been using an Aldi backpackers tent, cost 19-99, single hoop support, inbuilt basic "groundsheet". These are double skinned, however a large part of the inner tent is mesh so it breathes well but there is a tendency for condensation on the fly to drip straight through . In Aldi clearence sales the can go for half price ... that's why I have 2 and take both with me ... it's good to have a back up if required.
    Otherwise I'll be in a traditional Vango Force10 or Medina Conquest (as F10 but on steroids).
    Each to whatever form of camping suits them, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Small solo tent? Don't like plastic/prefer canvas? Then the polish lavvu at around 30.....bloody marvellous....and I'm 6' 4"

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Small solo tent? Don't like plastic/prefer canvas? Then the polish lavvu at around 30.....bloody marvellous....and I'm 6' 4"
    Cool where does one get these from?

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by E_McNeill View Post
    Cool where does one get these from?

Ewan

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Here, plus other places if you Google it http://www.militarymart.co.uk/polish...-lavvu-teepee/

Type Polish poncho into U-Tube, you should get several examples of usage.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Military Mart definitely, also see VIZ UK wear on Amazon, as supplies seem thin on the ground at the moment: also see UK Campsite...click tent/awning reviews; click "other" in left hand column and scroll through alphabetically. See also "Simon, a bloke in the woods" on you tube.....

So impressed I bought two, and customised one. Now getting harder to source and prices creeping up..........

Most people set them up incorrectly and inside out. Whereas they should be set up LOOKING inside out........all will become clear should you get one
    Last edited by laurence milton; 16th-January-2018 at 05:18 PM.

I have looked at a couple of set up videos on the lavvu a couple of questions if i may is it a pain to unbutton and button up on entry and exit? Also is it ok for a 6'3" chap to lay comfortably in without touching the sides?.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bbDave View Post
    I have looked at a couple of set up videos on the lavvu a couple of questions if i may is it a pain to unbutton and button up on entry and exit? Also is it ok for a 6'3" chap to lay comfortably in without touching the sides?.

Dave
    I'm 6' 4", and it's fine. If ordering from MM, I see they are now specifying differing sizes, for what it's worth.

Buttons can be a bit of a faff. Either.....

1/ Don't button entrance , unless pouring with rain. (Leave back half permanently buttoned up)
    2/ Use a lacing system in button holes of entrance
    3/ Use just half the button hole of the entrance
    4/ I have run a zip (got someone else to do it) down the entrance side. Also put short elasticated loops on hem to set nicer. I use an old Aframe instead of inner poles, or it can be hung or use a 3 extending washing line pole, hacksawed to suit............ Pitch so "shoulder flaps" on inside......spray with "Fabsil"?

You can go on and on with it, if so inclined. Perhaps a little tarp?
    Cracking tent
    Have a look on UKCampsite in reviews section?

Hi, we bought this tent : https://www.decathlon.nl/p/bivaktent...386006&c=GROEN Light, cheap for a tent with inner tent, 2 porches and two doors (so no crawling over each other if not wanted )

We had it with us last december in French Britany, that week with code Yellow storm and rain. No problems with condensation, stood very well in the up to 80 km/hour blast. A MSR and another more famous brand tent from group members didn't survive the wind (pole broken and hole through fabrik)
    I only had to get out of my very comfy down sleepingbag at 04.00 to put some of the spikes back in the (sand-) ground.
    (I bought later some ultra lightweight sand spikes for next time)

So overal very pleased with this Decathlon tent, we bought it as a more lightweight replacement for our Vaude tent, wich is of simular design, but 1,5 kilo heavier. (no problem in our Canoe, but in my backpack it makes quite a difference after 6 days hiking..... )

They have also a 3 persons version, little bit more room (and money), for two persons with a lot of gear maybe more comfortable.....

This wil last a few Years by the look of it after a few weeks use. Enough time for us to save (some ) money to buy our ultimate lightweight tent, but that's a complete different story.....

Greetings, Busje303
    Last edited by busje303; 18th-January-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    I'm 6' 4", and it's fine. If ordering from MM, I see they are now specifying differing sizes, for what it's worth.

Buttons can be a bit of a faff. Either.....

1/ Don't button entrance , unless pouring with rain. (Leave back half permanently buttoned up)
    2/ Use a lacing system in button holes of entrance
    3/ Use just half the button hole of the entrance
    4/ I have run a zip (got someone else to do it) down the entrance side. Also put short elasticated loops on hem to set nicer. I use an old Aframe instead of inner poles, or it can be hung or use a 3 extending washing line pole, hacksawed to suit............ Pitch so "shoulder flaps" on inside......spray with "Fabsil"?

You can go on and on with it, if so inclined. Perhaps a little tarp?
    Cracking tent
    Have a look on UKCampsite in reviews section?
    Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered one I like the modifications I've seen so I'll probably use it as is this year and do any modifications next winter.

Dave

Always best to use something first, before modifying it. I find it a very capable and versatile little tent, And being canvas, it smells great!!

I'm hoping to get out on Dartmoor this year as Well so it should come in handy there to.

Definitely....in fact there's a you tube vid of someone doing just that...................

+1 on the ease/excellence of small pop up tents.

+1 on the fact that single skin versions of the above will drench you before morning (found out the hard way).

We found a massive (I think 4m diameter) but very cheap (80 I think) single skin bell tent on the amazon. It packs down to the size of a single sleeping bag (also packed), takes 2 minutes to put up, and whilst condensation still forms the thing is huge enough to take it without it bothering you inside. Wouldn't much fancy its chances in the wind, but in the rain the extra space (that you can stand up in) is ace.
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    .... perhaps the Vango Nyx 200
    +1; I have one of these, easy to put up, small and light when packed, room for one plus gear.
    Double skinned and with a porch.

Paul
    Looking for the end of the rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by sonflowerinwales View Post
    +1; I have one of these, easy to put up, small and light when packed, room for one plus gear.
    Double skinned and with a porch.

Paul
    love the Honda..................