Thread: Advice on paddling from Kylesku

Default Advice on paddling from Kylesku

Looking for advice, if anyone can help please.

Heading up to Scotland in May for some paddling and wondering if anyone has paddled from Kylesku, up Loch Glencoul to Loch Beag then walk from the head of the Loch to the Eas a' Chual Aluinn waterfall?

Bit of a more interesting approach than over tracks!

Any advice appreciated.

Hello and Welcome!

Can't help with specifics, but just to say we had those very maps out in the pub last night with a view to something similar...so watching with interest. Need to look up the tidal planning info too at some point. Its still big open water, being an inlet of the sea, but is more sheltered than many sea lochs. I would imagine the tides will rush through the narrows at the bridge impressively...

Bothies at the heads of both lochs.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

Can't help with specifics, but just to say we had those very maps out in the pub last night with a view to something similar...so watching with interest. Need to look up the tidal planning info too at some point. Its still big open water, being an inlet of the sea, but is more sheltered than many sea lochs. I would imagine the tides will rush through the narrows at the bridge impressively...

Bothies at the heads of both lochs.
    Hi we paddled from the hotel last yr. can offer some advice from what we learnt and places to camp and the bothies. I will reply with more detail tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We stayed up there a couple of years ago (yikes! just checked and it was actually in 2012!) and did the trip you're considering , only without the waterfall walk as it was after a dry spell (in Scotland?) and wasn't much more than a trickle. It's a good idea to check the tide times (we didn't!) to make life easier.
    We were staying in a cottage at Unapool so put in straight from the garden but there is a slipway opposite the Kylesku Hotel (also recommended as a post paddle eatery!) just off the main road - where the ferry used to run in pre bridge times.
    I don't appear to have any photos of the slipway but this one wot I borrowed off the t'nterweb shows it pretty well.

HERE'S our trip blogg if you're interested.
    There's a Bluebird in my heart

Thanks for responses so far.

Great blog Ninja! Looks like a definite plan to paddle here.

We were passing through Kylesku last year but didn't have any boats with us so made notes of places to go back to and explore.

Any ideas if they charge for using the ramp?

A group of us paddled out and stayed at the bothy at the end of loch glencoul a couple of years ago. We launched at the bottom of the track at Unapool. On the first day, the weather was terrible, it was so windy you could see the waterfalls on the north shore blowing upwards. Despite hugging the sheltered shore, we opted to return well before reaching the bothy. A concerned local had made a phone call and we were met on return by the coastguard! Ooops!
    The tea shop in Unapool does very good afternoon teas if it still exists.
    Next day was much better and we made it out with out trouble. One day was spent paddling round then walking up to the waterfall. Its impressive - but I can't find that folder of photos. Another great walk was up to the top of glencoul. There is a blogg somewhere of someone portaging this over to the Cassely. Who ever it was must be far more of a man than I am; although it is a clear track it is very, very steep in places, not somewhere to be taking a boat!

Sam

Cheers for the input Mark, Ninja and Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by samB View Post
    There is a blogg somewhere of someone portaging this over to the Cassely. Who ever it was must be far more of a man than I am; although it is a clear track it is very, very steep in places, not somewhere to be taking a boat!Sam
    Now you've gone and done it...

(hope Lynne doesn't see this!)
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

It is easy to park and put in at the hotel. Do check the tide times as the tide falls quite low if you are trying to load at low tide (the jetty ends up 4ft above the water).

It's a nice paddle, but difficult in the wind. Be ready to stay an extra day or two if a strong wind comes in. Typically you will be paddling back against the wind.

If you can get a rising tide at glen coul it is nice for paddling around the mini islands, and getting the boat close to the high water, otherwise its a long paddle around and walk up the seaweed on the beach.

There were lots of ticks when we were there, especially around the old sheep/deer folds - don't peel off your wet suit and drop it on the ground - it'll pick up 'hundreds of the b***tards - I had 13 on me when we got out at the hotel.

Saw a Herculese flying low level down the glen (below waterfall height) - very quiet, thought it was an eagle at first.

Have fun, check the tide and forecast!

Thanks again for replies everyone. We’ll certainly add this into our itinerary and hope we arrive on a fine day, no wind and top of the tide!
    cheers