Thread: The Dog's Balls

Default The Dog's Balls

I have been looking for a comfortable seat to take canoeing, camping, and generally lounging about in. It needed to be portable and fold up reasonably small so that I would happily take it with me on day trips.

So I got this seat for Christmas. It's the Robens "Observer" and I got it in Cotswold Outdoors.

As you can see, I'm quite happy in it.

I needed to test it on a trip, so Mr Nick and I went to Minnowburn for a paddle, then stopped for a cuppa.
    Out came my chair, and I sat comfortably eating my sarnie and drinking my tea. However, I did get a sinking feeling.

Quite literally, the feet were sinking into the mud, in fact when I went to lift the chair, one of the rubber feet came off and was stuck on the mud.

Well I had seen various discussions on here about seats and the drawbacks of each. This thread was what caught my attention a while back. And Stinkwheel's solution gave me the spur to my own "Fix".

A bit of Googling and I found the answer. Some Dog's Balls from B&M for 2.

Out into the garage, a bit of messing about with a drill, and low and behold some new feet were fitted.

I even tried it on the lawn which is quite soft after all the rain, and it worked really well.

So quite literally "The Dog's Balls" are the solution. I just hope that Molly, Mr Nick's dog doesn't try fetching them while I'm lounging about in my new chair.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Having read the title, it was with some apprehension that I started reading this thread, for fear that my delicate sensibilities might be damaged. However, my concerns were unfounded, and I was impressed by the resourcefulness of the hardened paddler. Big Al - and not Miss Hessity - is the mother of Ian Vention! Nice one!

(My dog would insist on matching balls, though! )
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Nice chair Mr Al

I use squash balls on my Helinox clone and even though they don't look like they're big enough to help much, they do the trick nicely and it still folds up into it's original bag (just).

A couple of 1" webbing straps fixed under the feet with screws and washers works well too.

Brill but I wouldn't get away with that solution Al. My Misty is absolutely certain that all balls, of about tennis ball size, belong to her. Provided they don't squeak that is then, squeaky toys are out.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Nice balls, Big Al.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Great balls, overall.

Looking back at this thread, I've just come to realize how real creative it was to use a few dog toys to make an already comfortable seat more convenient. Ingenuity at its best.
    Last edited by RonnieHicks; 30th-January-2018 at 04:40 AM.