Thread: Oh the irony

Default Oh the irony

Hello fellow paddlers

Haven't been fishing for a few months now but ... but .... I have been invited to a paddling weekend on the WYE by my sons future father in law - Tally HO !
    I have to say even my conscience which is as strong as a FAB ice-lol in a hot and sticky hand will only allow me to paddle where there is an agreed PRN , do you have any tips for dealing with the OIKS?
    Last edited by BennyGesserit; 28th-December-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: for arts sake

Quote Originally Posted by BennyGesserit View Post
    my conscience [...] will only allow me to paddle where there is an agreed PRN
    Only a court can decide where a PRN exists... so let's leave that aside for one moment...

Let's acknowledge that on the Wye, even above Hay-on-Wye, disagreements on PRN should NOT the primary issue... as there's a very real problem which is not really seen elsewhere in Britain.

[...]do you have any tips for dealing with the OIKS?
    Wherever any of us draw the line... we should be able to acknowledge that significant numbers of non-canoeists are taking to the river Wye each year... most commonly c/o hire companies... and are "navigating" the river in ways which some of us would not want to witness ourselves.

If you ask about such folk... perhaps highlighting those whose river descent is fuelled by crates of beer and is accompanied by behaviour which might possibly lead to an ASBO in another environment... I suspect you'll find supporters on here - though I have no answers myself to such problems... which is why I avoid the Wye!

All the rental companies I've been with on the Wye have a no alcohol policy and do a briefing prior to setting off. They also have the company name and usually a number printed on the boat.

So one possible direction would be to quietly inform the rental company about any of their customers behaving in an antisocial manner. They probably wont appreciate people generating complaints and use of alcohol would almost certainly invalidate their insurance too. People have usually paid a deposit which could potentially be forfeit.

I've personally witnessed someone at a canoe hire company give a returning group of girls a proper tongue lashing when she saw empty prosecco bottles coming out of a kayak storage hatch.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Wait for a flood and go to Llangurig.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

I must admit part of me is curious to see something for real which I have only read about
    even though its in a PRN
    I will be honest I truly see our rivers as a natural resource that should be shared by all , this resonates with every fibre of my lefty liberal being
    It just feels right
    God Bless you one and all

It'll give you a chance to do a bit of education about canoeing, canoeists, drinking, access, fishing and so on!! ;-)
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi Benny,

When are you planning to do your trip?

Myself, wife, kids and dog ran the Wye this summer from Glasbury to Monmouth over a couple of weeks in July. The kids are still talking about it now. The weather could have been kinder as it was wet and windy for most of the trip, although not cold.

On my trip we didn't meet any aggressive fishermen (which was our main concern), but also didn't see any drunken groups. We saw a lot of off putting "you can't stop here" signs, and met a very grumpy stand up paddle board instructor at Simmonds Yat East.

We did see a group of guys setting off from Monmouth in fancy dress which could have only been a stag group, but they were all polite and sober. To be honest, I see a lot more drunken groups on the Norfolk Broads. I guess it could have been the weather as a bit of sunshine brings out the idiots (or perhaps your inner idiot!)

Anyway, hope you have a good trip and pray for rain. Also, I don't recommend Ross on Wye boat club as a place to stay, its the pits!

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Hello fellow paddlers

Haven't been fishing for a few months now but ... but .... I have been invited to a paddling weekend on the WYE by my sons future father in law - Tally HO !
    I have to say even my conscience which is as strong as a FAB ice-lol in a hot and sticky hand will only allow me to paddle where there is an agreed PRN , do you have any tips for dealing with the OIKS?
    Hi Benny, Happy New Year

If you pick your time right, you'll find avoiding the Oiks pretty easy. Just don't go in the school summer holidays or the few weekends either side. The rest of the time you can paddle and hardly see a soul...even in June or early July if you go mid-week. Even on a busy weekend, when you're drifting down the flow in your own little group, its easy enough not to be near any others; this was us in July; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...55-Wye-Because! I do get why its less easy for fisherfolk, when they come past every 10-15 minutes, but when you're paddling and drifting at similar speeds, you can be in your own little bubble of peace and calm.

Quote Originally Posted by broadsman View Post
    Also, I don't recommend Ross on Wye boat club as a place to stay, its the pits!

Robin
    What happened there, Rob? They were most accommodating for the big OCA meet, and others I know like staying there.

Thanks !

Sometime when the weather improves I imagine
    A question - I did an outward bound course ( wow 40 years ago now ) and we had the enclosed type of canoe , as none of us could roll we were instructed to pull the cord and out we would pop. It worked , apart from sea canoeing in shallow water once but as I am a confident swimmer I managed to sort myself out. Will it be these kind of canoes or a more open Kayak do you think ?

Thanks !

Sometime when the weather improves I imagine
    A question - I did an outward bound course ( wow 40 years ago now ) and we had the enclosed type of canoe , as none of us could roll we were instructed to pull the cord and out we would pop. It worked , apart from sea canoeing in shallow water once but as I am a confident swimmer I managed to sort myself out. Will it be these kind of canoes or a more open Kayak do you think ?
    Likely to be open "Canadian" canoes, not enclosed kayaks, which was what you were in 40 years ago. Yes, the terminology can confuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    What happened there, Rob? They were most accommodating for the big OCA meet, and others I know like staying there.
    Hi Mal,

Good to hear others have had a good experience there, I guess it wasn't suited to us. We arrived on a very wet and windy day and had booked for 2 nights as we needed a rest day in the middle of the trip. I hadn't realised it was so close to the dual carriageway and the camping field was boggy and overgrown, plus next to a dumped van with graffiti and lots of dog walkers. We didn't like the feel of it really and then found out that the code for the showers wasn't working and the other campers also couldn't get in. We tried calling the numbers but didn't get anyone so opted for plan b, which was camping in the park next to a pub round the corner. I think it was the Hope and Anchor. We adapted our plans and had 2 nights at Welsh Bicknor instead of staying in Ross and it was definitely the right choice for us. Still it was 30 per night at Ross Rowing Club which was I guess why we expected a bit more.

I hadn't realised it was where the OCA meet was held.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!