Thread: wenonah 15/16 wanted

Default wenonah 15/16 wanted

hi, i'm looking to get my first canoe, paddled a few different one's at my small local club & like the wenonah. so i've come up with that i'm looking for a wenonah 15/16 prospector in tuf-weave, or T-formex, but any advice would be very helpful.

I'll be paddling tandem & solo & hopefully get the dog in as well so need an all rounder that's light weight, but something i can grow into. At the moment it's been canal or flat river, but want to do more, go further, camping etc as my experience grows, but don't expect it to get to heavy white water.

I'm in Leicestershire.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by foxytiger; 17th-January-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Hi, I’m still looking for a 15/16 wenonah. Not had any look on here so far. Does anyone know of any other forums where people sell canoes ??
    i keep looking on eBay, preloved, gumtree but they’re just general items for sale.

thanks for any help

There are several FB groups for buy/sell used kayaks etc.. if you are after a particular boat it could be a long wait.

Yes but what are those groups called ??
    I’m new to canoeing so have limited knowledge. Been in 3 or 4 different boats & like the wenonah 16 prospector the best, so was thinking of one of those in 15 or 16. Guess they’re hard to come by secondhand though.

I would expect SOTP to be best bet, but keep an eye on UKRGB as well. If you're looking for a second hand Wenona, you won't get T-Formex, as it's a new material. Look for Royalex instead, it's practically the same and was widely used until the manufacturer stopped producing it, forcing the development of T-Formex.

Many fans of Prospectors on here and they are capable of all you say you want to do. There are also many other brands that make them such as Nova Craft, Venture and Hou, although the Polyethylene boats are heavier than the Wenonah.

That said, the Prospector is not the only shape that will accomplish the things you want to do and, for example, on open water, a 16ft Prospector will be a handful in the wind unless properly loaded down. If you can share your budget and what you consider to be a reasonable weight to carry for you, I'm sure the folks on here will be more than happy to extoll the virtues of their favourites.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Ok, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by foxytiger View Post
    Yes but what are those groups called ??
    I’m new to canoeing so have limited knowledge. Been in 3 or 4 different boats & like the wenonah 16 prospector the best, so was thinking of one of those in 15 or 16. Guess they’re hard to come by secondhand though.

Not all prospectors are created equal, the 16' Wenonah P is a different boat to the 15' Wenonah P, so it doesn't follow that you'll like the smaller one just because you like the larger one.
    Try and get a test paddle before you buy.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Face book groups ..used kayak.........used kayak and accessories, sure there are others

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Not all prospectors are created equal, the 16' Wenonah P is a different boat to the 15' Wenonah P, so it doesn't follow that you'll like the smaller one just because you like the larger one.
    Try and get a test paddle before you buy.
    Ditto materials. I loved the Royalex P15, but disliked the identical boat in TufWeave. I find TufWeave to be 'Tuf' on my knees and on those lax occasions when the paddle hits the side of the canoe, it's less of a clunk on Royalex. All very subjective and touchy-feely, which is why, as Old Man suggests, you should try before you buy.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.