Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Burns Night on the Nene, again! 26th-28th January 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Does that mean you are paddling in the first wave Martin or are you going to get some sleep before we arrive at 1pm?
    I'll still paddle with the 2nd wave. It'll give me a chance for forty winks and it'll save having to dead letter drop the key.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

I'm hoping to join you all on the 2nd wave--if I manage to get all my chores done in the morning and get away in good time. Can anyone on the 2nd wave PM me a phone number that I can contact you on to confirm ... or to tell you not to wait as the case may be?
    In any case, maybe catch you all tomorrow, and if not the following evening.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    PS I think I have Mal's phone number if it hasn't changed since the folding boat-overnight sleeper escapade of 2016, but might be handy to have that of someone in the 2nd wave too.

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    PS I think I have Mal's phone number if it hasn't changed since the folding boat-overnight sleeper escapade of 2016, but might be handy to have that of someone in the 2nd wave too.
    Text received.

For others, number still same as its been since 2001. I don't like change

Many thanks for today's recce Dick, very much appreciated....

So, with a predicted strong stream for the week-end, two locks out of action, a reported tree down in one one backwater, and now no assisted portage at the junction with Brancey brook.....what's not to like?

Tempted now, at this 11th hour just to call it a day, and re-try this trip when the Gods hold us all more in favour...But, life's too short for that, and the car's packed and the Haggis is well on the chill!

Those of you who may now be waniting to bail out here, feel free to do so -no worries!

Those of you listed on, and now about to join the Advance (Works) Party tomorrow morning and leaving Thrapston at no later than 1200hrs........be prepared now to assist with some very serious heavy portaging en route!

With that now in mind, it's time the noo, for me tae get mi heed doon!

So, it's now just egg and bacon banjos at the Bread Basket Cafe in Thrapston tomorrow morning from 0900hrs onwards, served with a decent mug of tea or coffee and any last minute strategic planning!
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

I've been in training all week Mark. Most of it involving haggis. I was surprised to find that there is such a thing as too much haggis. Had to take a couple of minutes break. I will, though, be well fuelled for the portages!

See you 10ish with a good run, more like 10.30 with the usual rubbish traffic.

Oh, and I insist on cooking for you tomorrow evening, and have supplies loaded for that.

Should be there for 10ish too so see you there

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    ....and now no assisted portage at the junction with Brancey brook...
    I arranged for the river to be three foot higher so you can slide out instead of climbing out......the ingratitude of some people☺️
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Planning on leaving early tomorrow to miss the rush hour traffic, so should be at the café by 0900 ish

Very, very last minute I know, would you mind if joined you for tomorrow night only.
    prepared to shuttle people who want to leave their cars at the end of Sunday paddle.
    Don't mind making a few trips through the day if it helps, as I will need to bring my car back
    to Thrapston to the wife's work place. Will be leaving Saturday morning.
    atb Terry
    Last edited by terry. young; 25th-January-2018 at 10:14 PM.

It'll be good to see you Terry.

Bootstrap bob and hemlock - planning to meet you at 9 Arches Bridge, Thrapston at 1300

Please PM mobile

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Bootstrap bob and hemlock - planning to meet you at 9 Arches Bridge, Thrapston at 1300

Please PM mobile
    I'm hoping to join you all at Thrapston bridge by midday. (Need some time to set up the Ally canoe.) Martin, I've sent you my mobile number. Kmac, I'll send you a pm now.
    Ian

Guess peeps are probably all on the move now, but am I right in thinking the Main Party now consists of:

Jon (Cankay)
    Neil
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Guess peeps are probably all on the move now, but am I right in thinking the Main Party now consists of:

Jon (Cankay)
    Neil
    Terry
    Jon, think others may have told you already, but main party appears to just be you! Neil cancelled, Terry here.

Intending to send a party up to meet you.

Wood situation now critical, rest of group will be trying to scavenge, but if you can handle anymore happy to reimburse. Recommend not following a certain person's example and floating down below weir alongside their supply of wood.... No, not me

Let someone know if your timing changes.

Islip lock fine to go through. Brancey Brook portage OK, subject to avoiding said swim....

Hippo, Ben and I have just stopped at Thrapston for a raid on the bacon sarnie shop. If you are en route here Cankay we are happy to wait for you. Mal.... Ben and I both have bags of wood with us.... Will keep eye out for more. Cankay.... Let us know by 11 if you want us to wait as orange on your own at Brancy might be iffy in wooden boat.... Dick
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Autocorrect... Portage to orange?

Thanks for Organising Dick, sorry I couldn't stop to say hello.
    Hope you're all having a great evening, great to meet old friends and new.
    Thanks to all for your great hospitality and big thanks to Mal, Martin, Rob, Darryl and Ken
    for a great nights entertainment, good on ya. Mark watch ya fingers with that new toy.
    Hopefully get to do it all again. Cheers all,

All the best Terry

As always, an excellent weekend folks. Another Tour de Force from mbj, as well as an award for effort to Fran for sriving from Plymouth to deliver our pudding at 10.30pm, and for the bagpipe wrangling.

These events are always great, but this one seemed even better somehow. Thanks to the company, basically.

See ya all soon.

Thank you from me too! A great weekend, great company, wonderful food! Many, many thanks to all the chefs! Hope everyone has arrived home OK. Have spread the Ally out to properly dry before putting it away. Looking forward to the blog now!
    Ian

Another superb meet. Thanks to everyone for the great company. Really good meeting up with friends old and new. Well done Mark, you've set the bar very high indeed. I've finally fully dried out after my glorious swim.

All the best,

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Sounds like a cracker,hope you all had a great time!!

Robin - you didn't turn up in Somerset, so figure all worked out ok for you
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

A great weekend with great company and scran.
    Thanks to all. I needed that after the month I’ve had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldMan Jump View Post
    Sounds like a cracker,hope you all had a great time!!

Robin - you didn't turn up in Somerset, so figure all worked out ok for you
    That was pretty confusing. Not entirely sure how I ended up with your number? It was meant to be Cankays!?

Turns out Somerset is quite a long way from pear tree island, so we collected wood instead. Didn't make it to meet Jon either, but he was chaperoned by some locals.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Hi all, add my own to the other plaudits here. Excellent weekend, and we lucked out weather wise as well.
    The wind on Saturday was strong but the tarp set-up was excellent so we hardly noticed it.
    Also, was great to see we had far more wood than we could burn, in spite of my best efforts to have a fire big enough to entice some planes to land there.
    Food, as usual, was excellent. Robin - excellent cullen skink, Fran, excellent desert and thanks Mark for the soup and main of haggis and neap.

Brill weekend - hard for it not to be with such wonderful food and most excellent company, even the Sun came out to play on Sunday.
    Really appreciated the company of Hippo, Dick and Ben for the paddle in on Sat .
    What I think makes these sort of weekends work so well is everyone brings/contributes a bit extra, above-and-beyond, Every individual personal touch just makes the whole weekend an absolute joy.

Cheers all.
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 29th-January-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Haven't done a Burns Night paddle for many years so this one was definitely due. It didn't disappoint.

Great location, great people, great food, great entertainment, packing up in the dry and paddling in the sun. What more could you want?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Really appreciated the company of Hippo, Dick and Ben for the paddle in on Sat .
    It was our pleasure - and if we hadn't been with you the world would remain in ignorant bliss of your signature reverse lock gate single gunwale pirouette move - class!

Even though we left early (family commitments) it was great for us to meet old faces and put new faces to old names - or something like that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Patterdale Paddler View Post
    It was our pleasure - and if we hadn't been with you the world would remain in ignorant bliss of your signature reverse lock gate single gunwale pirouette move - class!

He just can't help himself, can he!?

He may nay need of such lock-cut gymnastics on the day, had the original planned crew turned up....or at least let him know that they had changed their plans....

I don't organise your week-ends (Ken) but if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail, it's a fact!... I've been there a million times, and somehow, so far, by the Grace of whatever God I was praying to in that particular situation, I've managed to gert back alive...

Stick to the Plan Stan!

MB

As I now await 'The Wrath of Ken'.....as I know that it's now coming!

A final chance now just to say thank you to everyone so much for such a great week-end, whether you were either part of the strategic forward planning team, knowing very well that nothing survives initial contact, esp. when organising Ken, because that's very much like nailing jelly to a plate! With further thanks to all the skilled improvised shelter makers, the drone pilots, river swimmers, Burns night preachers, campfire cooks am and pm, neeps & tattie peelers, guitar players and Saturday Morning Wood fire Resupply Team Members...and Franachan dealers! - you all made it down the road tonight, for a great weekend!

Terry Young - I cant thank you enough for the gift of that 10" Butchers knife (which I somehow managed to draw first blood upon this evening! )it now has pride and very place withing my kitchen wannigan We now need to plan a trip in your neck of the woods... to try it out!

Fran...
    I'm not too sure what to say here, apart from that the effort that you made to get there on Saturday evening was truly amazing....outstanding!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 30th-January-2018 at 12:37 AM.

MB

As I now await 'The Wrath of Ken'.....as I know that it's now coming!

A final chance now just to say thank you to everyone so much for such a great week-end, whether you were either part of the strategic forward planning team, knowing very well that nothing survives initial contact, esp. when organising Ken, because that's very much like nailing jelly to a plate! With further thanks to all the skilled improvised shelter makers, the drone pilots, river swimmers, campfire cooks am and pm, neeps & tattie peelers, guitar players and Saturday Morning Wood fire Resupply Team Members...and Franachan dealers! - you all made it down the road tonight, for a great weekend!

Terry Young - I cant thank you enough for the gift of that 10" Butchers knife (which I somehow managed to draw first blood upon this evening! )it now has pride and very place withing my kitchen wannigan We now need to plan a trip in your neck of the woods... to try it out!

Fran...
    I'm not too sure what to say here, apart from that the effort that you made to get there on Saturday evening was truly amazing....outstanding!
    With a familiar u unsung hero...David Fletcher awaiting our arrival at Upper Barnwell Lock ...and then helping out with the shuttle duties back to Thrapston!

David,
    You choose the cafe...and .I'll get the bacon sarnies in! - Everything tastes better bacon!

MB

With a familiar u unsung hero...David Fletcher awaiting our arrival at Upper Barnwell Lock ...and then helping out with the shuttle duties back to Thrapston!

David,
    You choose the cafe...and .I'll get the bacon sarnies in! - Everything tastes better bacon!
    And sae the Lord be thankit'

MB

A great weekend with great people yet again, it's funny how a bunch of people you only see once or twice a year all come together and make these events such a great success.
    Hope to see you all again soon.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Thanks all to a great evening. I was determined not to miss this year's Burns get together, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Terry, thankyou for the blade - I will let you know how I get on.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Fran your welcome, hopefully not to late for your intended project.
    Atb Terry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234