Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burns Night on the Nene, again! 26th-28th January 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    FOTRN Membership. Mark spoke to them and paid for his own membership over the phone. IF there are people who leave it until last minute, this is possible by phone, but they're not used to it and wouldn't want numerous phone calls. So if anybody hasn't paid up yet, do it on the website soon, but IF there are any last minute needs it would be good to try and co-ordinate them so that all could be done in one phone call. Get it ordered this week through the website and you should be fine.
    Couldn't find a website option to join - so downloaded the form, filled in and emailed to FOTRN - paid via BACS
    So I guess I'm a friend of the river now

Mark spoke to Jon (Cankay) and he also has a lock key for Saturday departures. I'll let him suggest timing.
    Suggestion: Meet 11ish, Depart 12ish. Aiming to arrive shortly before PeelPotatoe o'clock.

Will have brekky kitchen and the necessary meat/bread for peeps that do want a cob/bap/roll or 2 Sun morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    PeelPotatoe o'clock.
    In June of 1992 Quayle was still the vice-president of George H. W. Bush, and as vice-presidents often find themselves performing tasks that no one else wants to do, he was officiating at a spelling bee. There are various reports on whether he was reading a cue card with erroneous information supplied by the school, or made the mistake on his own, but what is incontrovertible (and posted on You Tube for posterity) is that Quayle incorrectly corrected a student’s spelling of potato. The vice-president averred that the correct spelling had an –e at the end, a statement which engendered no small amount of ridicule. In fact, he is still being mocked for it to this day. After all, the fact that ‘potato’ has no –e at the end of it is something that we all pride ourselves on knowing with every fiber of our being. Isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    In June of 1992 Quayle was still the vice-president of George H. W. Bush, and as vice-presidents often find themselves performing tasks that no one else wants to do, he was officiating at a spelling bee. There are various reports on whether he was reading a cue card with erroneous information supplied by the school, or made the mistake on his own, but what is incontrovertible (and posted on You Tube for posterity) is that Quayle incorrectly corrected a student’s spelling of potato. The vice-president averred that the correct spelling had an –e at the end, a statement which engendered no small amount of ridicule. In fact, he is still being mocked for it to this day. After all, the fact that ‘potato’ has no –e at the end of it is something that we all pride ourselves on knowing with every fiber of our being. Isn’t it?
    But maybe JOn's planning on peeling them with his toes?

In other important news, my first item of Tartan has just been delivered. Hopefully the rest will arrive today or tomorrow....
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    Couldn't find a website option to join - so downloaded the form, filled in and emailed to FOTRN - paid via BACS
    So I guess I'm a friend of the river now
    This is what I did.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

PeelPotatoe o'clock.
    The 'e' obviously refers to my electric potato peeler, as in FormulaE

In other important news, my first item of Tartan has just been delivered. Hopefully the rest will arrive today or tomorrow....
    Hope so too, otherwise it'll be a cold weekend in just a Tartan mankini.

I can confirm I've BACS'd and email'd FOTRN, so I too am a friende.

Membership done and returned a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    Suggestion: Meet 11ish, Depart 12ish. Aiming to arrive shortly before PeelPotatoe o'clock.

Will have brekky kitchen and the necessary meat/bread for peeps that do want a cob/bap/roll or 2 Sun morning.
    I was hoping to come across on Friday but I can't do a morning start so it will have to be Saturday at 11.00.
    Count me in for the rolls Jon, suitable reimbursement will be arranged.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    I was hoping to come across on Friday but I can't do a morning start so it will have to be Saturday at 11.00.
    Count me in for the rolls Jon, suitable reimbursement will be arranged.
    I won’t be able to get there til late afternoon on Friday and was thinking about camping near the start as I didn’t fancy navigating a new river (new to me) in twilight’s last gloaming.
    As a number of people are planning on camping on Friday, I’d be up for an assault convoy on the main campsite if you can make it by 1600.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Hi folks.

Arrivals

Yes, sorry Rob, we need to get down and set up a bit earlier for Mark to build the whole Scottish Baronial Castle Kitchen affair We will be leaving by 12.

As Martin says, there may be others arriving later, so you could compare notes on earliest arrival. If you stick to the navigation there is no difficulty in paddling in dusk or dark, but you do have two lock portages to do unless you bring a lock key. An option might be to use Thorpe Bridge as a start, as Fran is doing, but I don't know what parking is like there.

Shuttles

It occurs to me that we have a lot of people arriving at different random times, and haven't discussed what cars we might want to have at the finish, presumably at Upper Barnwell Lock. Any thoughts?

Downcreek Paddles

Was wondering if anybody fancies trying out any of the demo Downcreek Paddles? I don't fancy lugging all of them all the way down to camp, so if you do, let me know which and I'll put a few in the boat.

I have: 64" Kingfisher (Algonquin grip), 64" Swan (Northwoods grip), 58" Dipper, 58" Big Dipper, 64" Heron, 56" Lapwing.

Let me know. I will probably take the Dipper and one of the different grip styles with me anyway, plus my own 58"Lapwing.

Glad to hear everybody's getting the membership sorted easily enough. I bet they don't know what's hit them!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hi folks.

Arrivals

An option might be to use Thorpe Bridge as a start, as Fran is doing, but I don't know what parking is like there.

Shuttles

It occurs to me that we have a lot of people arriving at different random times, and haven't discussed what cars we might want to have at the finish, presumably at Upper Barnwell Lock. Any thoughts?

Glad to hear everybody's getting the membership sorted easily enough. I bet they don't know what's hit them!
    Parking at Thorpe Bridge is probably limited to four cars max - https://goo.gl/maps/ZZrmhmB9on32 two on a rather sloping grass verge (locals ask that vehicles left should be entirely on the grass as road/bridge is narrow) or opposite, tight against the hedge or the bin (best not to block gate as it is used)

I will probably be leaving a car at Wadenhoe so can whizz down to Upper Barnwell and pick up anybody without a shuttle back to their cars - Hippo & I did this for everyone last time but this year the numbers make that impossible.

Lastly, Mal was correct about the water tap situation - I will bring the 2 litre at a time water filter and can vouch for never having been ill drinking the Nene or any other water that has gone through the filter.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Just caught up having been doing that stupid work thing a lot of late.

Would like to taste your gourmet northern feast Mark, please book me a table if any remain. I shall bring the appropriate coinage of course.

My boat will be able to accommodate some 'stuff' should others find space at a premium. Will fill some of that space with a sack o wood and few bottles o water.

I'd like to register my interest for the Friday start, however I am going to be sensible/meek and just wait to see what sort of precipitation we can expect first.

Paid up fiend of the Nene, enjoyed the article written by some canoeist bloke.

Hoping to convince Mrs to be my shuttle service to free up parking.

That's all I have to report, looking forward to this!
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

Oh and to avoid confusion on the night, are we on "Nen" or "Neeen"?
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

Paid up fiend of the Nene
    So is that like being a friend, but cheaper?

[QUOTE]It occurs to me that we have a lot of people arriving at different random times, and haven't discussed what cars we might want to have at the finish, presumably at Upper Barnwell Lock. Any thoughts?/QUOTE]
    For Sat Peeps - I guess we'll need at least three people/2 cars, so we can get at least one vehicle to the end, and have one person stay with boats. If there are more peeps/cars, then we shuttle as many as we can to the far end.

I can only presume my reputation precedes me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbing Ben View Post
    Oh and to avoid confusion on the night, are we on "Nen" or "Neeen"?
    Nen as in friend not Neen as in fiend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    Having now managed to speak with the Clan Chief through intermittent connections, as he made his way through the Snow somewhere in the Peak District...and other conversations today with various other Chieftains sheltering now in the low lands.... I believe now that we have a plan for the gathering clan, and that it's very Bonnie!

A bit too late for me now to post the full details..... (As I've just got back from collecting several tonnes of........blah.blah.blah).....Full details to follow ASAP
    'The Bonnie Plan' for the Gathering Clan...
    Which I should have posted on Wednesday 17th (post #118) But, I got home too late, and would have posted this evening, had I not got home too late tonight!...

Will now be posted within the next 20hrs.

"Should have, would have, could have"....Thank you once again for your patience

Which also goes out now to all the staff and the somewhat bemused customers passing down the cold meat aisle at a rather posh supermarket in Newbury in Berkshire today, as I trial-fitted various sizes of Haggis's (or should that be Haggi?) into my 8ltr Dutch Oven in preparation for this coming do...

Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained, eh!

For those of you who may now be interested, an 8ltr Dutch Oven will hold, at a push, 1x 2.3kg & 1x 1.3kg MacSween Haggis (Haggi?) Giving a total weight of 3.6kgs of 'top-of-the-range' Haggis which should easily satisfy uptae 16-17 Clansmen and Lassies!

That's it from me tonight prior tae posting 'The Bonnie Plan'....

Which gives you time the noo tae think about where yer' gonnae' get yer' Tartan attire from.... ready for the week-end in question!

Because, if yer' nae donning, or wearing any Tartan attire on the night, you'll nay get served! (Chef Bonars' Burns Night Kitchen Rules )

MB

Last edited by Bonarmbj; Today at 02:51 AM.

Just a quick thought tonight now for Hemlock and Bootstrap Bob.

Prior now to the imminent posting of 'The Bonnie Plan' ....whilst you still both may very much be interested in coming along late on the Friday afternoon, as opposed to the Saturday, for whatever reasons, please now consider Mal or I 'dead-letter boxing' a lock key and British Waterway Key for you both at the 9 Arches Bridge in Thrapston.

If you're interested in this potential new option pls. contact 'Mc Mal' first to confirm that he has a lock key available.

'Mc Bonar'
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; Today at 03:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123