Thread: Protective Skid Plate Strip ( Reed ChillCheater ) & Waterproof Reflective Strips

Question Protective Skid Plate Strip ( Reed ChillCheater ) & Waterproof Reflective Strips

Hi,

Re: Protective Skid Plate Strip ( Reed ChillCheater ) & Waterproof Reflective Strips

Has anyone used Protective Skid Plate Strip c/o Reed ChillCheater ? Or is their something similar and just as neat? And for high visibility are there waterproof self adhesive reflective strips to attach to the Kayak?

Cheers

Presuming you mean retro-reflective (shines artificial light back at night) rather than fluorescent (high visability during daylight)?

I use scotchlite retroreflective stickers from 3M on my motorcycles, they stand up to 100mph driving rain which makes them waterproof as anything could be in my book. They also do a black retroreflective which is very unobtrusive during daylight but reflects bright white at night. You can buy strips, circles or sheets to cut out yourself.

Remember if it's for mounting on a car, you are only supposed to show red reflective to the rear, amber to the sides and white to the front.

They may do flourescent scotchlite too. For reasons of physics*, orange flourescent is more likely to be visible under paddling conditions than the other colours.

In any case, I have found 3M products to be far superior to any other brands in terms of stickiness and fade resistance when it comes to sticky plastic films of all descriptions.

* Flourescent materials reflect back other parts of the light spectrum but change the wavelength so they appear as a brighter colour than you'd expect to be possible. In the case of orange flourescents, they reflect green light as orange.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

The Protective keel strip from Reed is called Keeleazy. I've had it on my Royalex boat for a good few years and it's done its job in protecting the bow/stem. Having said that I don't do full on White water, but my boat does spend all of its trips on scrapey rivers, gritty rocky estuaries etc and it gets plenty of use and abuse. It (the Keeleazy) is now suffering from age and one end has a cut right through where I have scraped over something very sharp. It can be heated with a hot gun, peeled off and replaced if necessary. Another alernative protection is Kevlar cloth bonded on with epoxy, tougher albeit but more expensive and messier to fit. If you go for Keeleazy have a look at the tutorial online before fitting.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

Quote Originally Posted by stinkwheel View Post
    * Flourescent materials reflect back other parts of the light spectrum but change the wavelength so they appear as a brighter colour than you'd expect to be possible. In the case of orange flourescents, they reflect green light as orange.
    Wow!! You learn something everyday!

I've got keeleazy on my Prospector and it was involved in an RTA: whereas the trailer rolled. Apart from other scrapes and other damage the keeleazy had hit the M74 at 60mph with the weight of the trailer and another canoe on top. The keeleazy did scrape but not all the way through. I would take a photo but the boulders of the Scottish Dee smoothed it all out and still it doesn't need replacing.

Its damn good stuff
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Keelezy is excellent stuff. Does 2-3 years on my Prospector before replacing it, and that canoe gets used every week, and somewhat abused. Good value stuff. Eventually the ends start to "peel" back after being dragged over stuff. I find cutting them into a nice smooth curve helps the ends last longer.

A heat gun is best for getting them really smooth, but possible with a hair dryer I would imagine.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

With regards to reflective strips, Lomo seem to have a few options which may be worth a nose!