Thread: Inland "Beach" ???

Default Inland "Beach" ???

Not for now, but for when it's warmer.....

Anyone know of an inland beach or a piece of river/lake/pond where me and my Grandkids could play silly beggars in a canoe without being in the way or under too much scrutiny ?

I'm near Aldershot, Hampshire but don't mind a bit of travel for the right place

if you're in Aldershot, then pretty much anywhere along the Basingstoke canal would probably suffice. there's very little boat traffic & being a canal, it's only shallow & there's no flow. it wouldn't be very beachy although there are plenty of places you could set up camp & picnic without getting in people's way.

Struggling with the "beach" part if I'm honest.

You've got things like the Hamble, when the tide is right, but can be mud rather than sand and I wouldn't say its good for the kids therefore.

The Thames has a few small beachy bits on the upper reaches, depending on levels. There's one about a mile and a bit down from Goring on the left bank, just round the bend before the railway bridge which has a bit of traffic coming past, but not much and it will go further out because of it being shallow - there's a marker buoy to ensure this. Wallingford Bridge has a beach on the Cromarsh side, but its hardly quiet...

The canal is great for messing about in canoes, just misses the beachy bit.

There are a couple of tiny beaches on the Wey. One is on that St Catherine's loop, quite early on. The other I can think of is on the Triggs Loop, but the cattle have been in and its rather muddy now.

Further afield, the Lake District is perfect for this in summer, plenty of pebbly gentle beaches on the lakes. Obviously there are also loads on Scottish lochs.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Cheers Mal,

We had a little paddle (as in roll your trousers up and splash about in the water) below St Catherine's Hill this summer. It was alright until two narrowboats turned up and disgorged a couple of tribes of noisy kids :-)

I did spot a bit on the backwater but haven't looked how to get to it by road.

I do intend to explore the other end of the B'stoke Canal so will keep my eye out for places.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post

I did spot a bit on the backwater but haven't looked how to get to it by road.

I do intend to explore the other end of the B'stoke Canal so will keep my eye out for places.

Ah, not easy if you want to be able to park quite close. ABout half a mile walk and can be a bit boggy.

The Thames Goring one is also a walk from the nearest parking, though an easy one along the river for about a mile.

Down by King JOhn's Castle past Odiham might be fun for the grandkids, and is only 5 minutes walk from the nearest put in, or you can do it in under 40 mins from Colt Hill WHarf. No beach, but old ruins, fun woods, the canal, a river that flows under a canal full of visible trout, and a tunnel full of bats 10 minutes further on.

Don't know about access rights for canoes, but Frensham Ponds have beaches and swimming. Sailing is not allowed and inflatables are not allowed. Might need to check with the local authority, or Uncle Mal may know?

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Bob View Post
    Don't know about access rights for canoes, but Frensham Ponds have beaches and swimming. Sailing is not allowed and inflatables are not allowed. Might need to check with the local authority, or Uncle Mal may know?
    I wondered about there, but as far as I know, they don't allow canoeing. Always worth asking I guess. Asking who, not sure...maybe the ranger: parks&countryside@waverley.gov.uk

I'm pretty sure both of the ponds are a no go. The great pond is the exclusive domain of the sailing club and Farnham Angling society. The little pond is controlled by National Trust.

I will scoot an email though

On the Basingstoke canal you could play in the Flash at Ash Vale station or paddle from the canal centre up to the entrance into lakeside country club where there's a little area and a water level beach area to sit on. On the way up from the canal centre towards Frimley lodge park where the power lines cross the canal on the right hand side there is another little sandy area which leads into the woods.
    Last edited by Sirus; 13th-November-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Cheers Mal,

We had a little paddle (as in roll your trousers up and splash about in the water) below St Catherine's Hill this summer. It was alright until two narrowboats turned up and disgorged a couple of tribes of noisy kids :-)

Terrible when folk turn up with nosy kids isn't it? ;-)
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

How about the beach at Emsworth, very sheltered. Or Prinstead, need the tide to be in but very shallow. Or what about the fleet behind Chesil beach?

Does it have to be inland? How about a more enclosed bay? I recently did my sea kayak 3 star starting from Lulworth Cove and somewhere like that might work - you'll have to pick a day with minimal waves though I guess.

All good ideas chaps and duly noted. Keep them coming